TREG receiver question

alia176

Explorer
My new to me 2013 Adrenaline camper has this TREG receiver piston deal that moves in/out during braking. My assumption is that it has the optional surge braking capability. If you don't want the surge braking, you can lock out the piston by a simple flip of the lockout lever (in circle). Is this a true assumption? The pic below is from a youtube vid and mine is identical. On the other side, there are two grease fittings screwed into the holes where, I'm guessing, would be fittings for the brake fluid to go in/out as you apply the vehicle brakes.

Currently, I have it locked out because the piston does tend to slam on harder braking on the street. This trailer is equipped with electric brakes as well and connected to my vehicle's 7pin plug.

Thanks for any insight.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You can't have electric brakes and hydraulic surge brakes on the same axle/brake drum.

Look at the link below about the Treg "Poly Couplings".

Showing us which one you have will help to solve your issues.

These look to "ME" like hydraulic dampened couplers that have nothing at all to do with trailer braking.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The Treg coupler you have is for surge brakes. The flip over lever is to stop the brakes activating during reversing. You can use the coupler in conjunction with electric brakes and it shouldn’t be an issue. I’d agree it would be better when using with electric brakes to activate the reverse lockout so the mechanism is inactive.

As stated it’s either or when it comes to surge and electric brakes. In my opinion electric brakes are the way to go on trailers.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
One more note. If your Treg coupler has the option for a hand brake Dexter makes brake drums that work with hand brakes. It’s just a hassle to set up the cable system.

alia176

Explorer
Thank you gents, you confirmed my assumptions. My trailer does have the parking brake ability as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alia176

Explorer
You can't have electric brakes and hydraulic surge brakes on the same axle/brake drum.

Look at the link below about the Treg "Poly Couplings".

Showing us which one you have will help to solve your issues.

These look to "ME" like hydraulic dampened couplers that have nothing at all to do with trailer braking.

Looks like I have the following unit.

b657946d09fd7d4e702e0cf50a970f52.jpg

alia176

Explorer
Mystery solved, there is a spring inside the unit for shock loads. I'm not sure why TREG thinks this is necessary but I'll run it with the latch in the disengaged position and let the piston do it's thing.

Another member with this exact unit found it to be annoying while offroading so he permanently engaged the latch in the lockout (no more going in/out) position. I'm sure I'll experience the same thing.

84b9067624d73b9dd7ef5520f2cab87f.jpg
9e90aedbee1ab634bca76da79e2620dc.jpg
e9640bcda9f84e92d1c58c863a36a128.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles