Treasure Hunting

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Mods, can you start a new forum or sub forum for treasure hunting/metal detecting. I would think there are a few of us on here that do one or both and it would be great to hook up with fellow treasure hunters here Thanks. Thomas (cowboy4x4)

Awesome! A great way for authorities to track down stolen antiquities and artifacts!

Please be careful and be aware of treasure-hunting laws in your countries. You could get in serious trouble for it.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Don't get me wrong guys, I love the idea... I'm active with several local treasure hunting groups and have spent a fair amount of time out poking around Utah's haunts for legends or just some good color in my gold pan.

However, ExPo is an open forum, meaning Google and everyother search engine crawls this site, its posts and its members. I'd personally be very reluctant to share any of my research, finds, theories, etc for this exact reason. The authorities are the least of my worries. There are some fabulous treasure hunting/prospecting, etc forums out there... some private some not. We have a fairly active local forum that requires an invitation but for good reason, the content is very legit :cool:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
well if people are stealing artifacts then they deserve to go to jail... furthermore I wouldnt want them on this site anyway. Its not illegal to be a detectorist/treasure/gold hunter as long as you know where you can and cannot hunt. The idea here was to get together with fellow hunters/4 wheelers. What we decide to share or not share is each persons own business...... So with that being said I use a Minelab xterra 705 gold as my detector I also have some basic panning supplies and will be looking into getting a sluice in the near future as well.

flywgn

Explorer
well if people are stealing artifacts then they deserve to go to jail...

I agree. We had a local convicted a few years ago. He was using a backhoe on an archaeological site. He served some time and paid a fine.

... So with that being said I use a Minelab xterra 705 gold as my detector I also have some basic panning supplies and will be looking into getting a sluice in the near future as well.

Nice unit. I don't own one, but recently I sold some old coins to a dealer and he showed me some units. The xterra 705 was one of them. He's loaned me an E-TRAC to see if I 'like' it. Yikes! It's a far cry from the Radio Shack detector we used to have.

Allen R

cowboy4x4

Explorer
your not kidding... I remember when I was a kid my parents took me to some convention and I saw a whites metal detector. Basically it looked like a box mounted to pole w/ a plate on the bottom. gold right now is $1,700.+ per ounce, they expect it to top out at $5G per ounce within two years.

Errant

Explorer
Funny this should pop up now! I just borrowed a metal detector from a friend who suggested I use to try to find the corner markers on my property. If this works, it'll save me $700 in surveyor's fees :)

ExpoScout

Explorer
Funny this should pop up now! I just borrowed a metal detector from a friend who suggested I use to try to find the corner markers on my property. If this works, it'll save me $700 in surveyor's fees :)

I just borrowed one too. Neighbor brought it over this morning. I had never done any detecting before, though I always thought it would be fun.

I had a blast today just messing around in the yard and woods. Found a boat-load of nuts and bolts, and several coins, old toy cars, all kinds of stuff. Now I just need to find some actual good places to hunt and see what happens.

flywgn

Explorer
In the "for what it's worth" category, I just deposited $1,790.00 into our checking account after selling three coins that we found. We discovered two with a metal detector; the third was just with Diana's eagle-eye.

Allen R.

ExpoScout

Explorer
In the "for what it's worth" category, I just deposited $1,790.00 into our checking account after selling three coins that we found. We discovered two with a metal detector; the third was just with Diana's eagle-eye.

Allen R.

Nice! I bet that's a good feeling. I've just been getting the hang of things by checking my own property. I have found a ton of stuff so far, though nothing of real value...I'm just trying to get the hang of the machine now. I imagine once I go to some old parks and places that have been inhabited for longer I will have better luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles