Treadwright Remolded Tires

old_CWO

Does anyone have feedback regarding those newer Treadwright bead to bead remold tires for expo type trailer service?

I have read generally positive reviews for treadwright tires over the years on trucks and Jeeps but nothing on "our" type of trailers. My guess is that they would be more than fine, given they are usually carrying only a fraction of the tire's maximum weight ratings.

Looking for actual experience, not "you're going to fall off a cliff and die in a massive fire while killing everyone else around you" kind of reaction...

Thanks

Teardropper

You're going to fall off a cliff and die in a massive fire while killing everyone else around you. :geek:

First I've heard of them. Are these a different name for re-treads?

T

old_CWO

They’re fancy retreads, they remold the whole tire including the sidewalls. It makes them look like brand new tires.

old_CWO

Why would you want retreads/remolded tires?

Well, some people might be interested in them because:
  • It repurposes waste materials
  • They are made in the United States
  • The cost is attractive
The $64,000 question is: are they a good value?

jadmt

ignore button user
I know people that run them on rigs they take offroad and they love them. One negative I have heard is customer service is hit or miss. I have only heard that no actual experience. I will say one of the guys in our wheeling club has them on his jeep Comanche and that thing absolutely goes in the snow. I know fourwheeler magazine has tested them with good results.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Best price I can find for my truck TW WARDEN E rated 545.00+ tax+ shipping+ install=?
For another 220.00 I bought falken at3w brand new not remolded . Mounted, lifetime road hazard, rotation, tax, shipping and disposal of old tires included.
And questionable failure never comes to mind.
I did read MANY good reviews on the treadwrights. However, when it comes to safety hauling my slide in camper and my loved ones money is no object.
Good luck on your decision.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
If Treadwright tires work good on powered trail rigs as reported above and by 4Wheeler Magazine they most certainly will work GREAT on a light weight Expo Trailer!

Party On!

ottsville

Observer
If Treadwright tires work good on powered trail rigs as reported above and by 4Wheeler Magazine they most certainly will work GREAT on a light weight Expo Trailer!

Party On!
I have no experience with treadwrights and also this is the first time I've heard of them.
Are these a specific off road type tire?

My concern would be sidewall strength/rigidity. That would seem to be an important factor in even single axle trailers, especially shorter trailers.

But let's be real, other than tire size for trailers (bigger for rolling over or convenience of matching TV size) most choices about tires for expo trailers are strictly vanity. Just repurpose an old pair from your TV.

paranoid56

Adventurer
i ran them on my old truck, never an issue. you may find some issues getting them mounted as some places wont mount a retread.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have been using Tredrite tires for years. Had them on my Pinzgauer and my Jeep. No negative issues ever. My local Firestone dealer mounts them with no issue.
Work well off road and on road. Mud, snow, rain. Delivered directly to my house.

Binksman

Observer
Honestly Treadrights have been the best tire I've ever had on my 3/4 ton work truck (7200 lbs daily including the metal contractor cap and tools). My daily driving style in rural Pennsylvania is very similar to the imagined use of many overlanders- 80% road/20% dirt.

My first set was the BFG style tread and they performed great. All four tires lasted 35k miles when the best mileage I ever got out a set of tires was 25k (stick shift and a v10 are hard on tires). I bought different wheels and tires after the first set wore out, but I kept the Treadrights for spares and to use on my M116a2 military trailer that gets used for all kinds of general hauling, loaded up to 2 tons, on and off road. They were fine until dry rot started breaking down the sidewalls like what would happen with any tire.

Now I'm on my second set. My off road use is actually a bit more frequent and more difficult when I do, so I figured I'd try the mud terrain tire that is based on the Goodyear MTR tread. I also splurged for the Kedgegrip . They delivered in 3 days, much quicker than I expected. I had the shop do a static balance like Treadright recommends and the ride is quite smooth, with no balance issues, minimal weights were required, and to put the cherry on top, it was cheaper than a standard balance. Even my 83 year old grandfather comments on how well my "big ol' tires" ride on the road. The wife likes that she has yet to actually put the truck into 4wd this winter, and I'm actually a bit disappointed because I do enjoy the little bit of drama of controlled-snow-day drifting.

I recommended Treadrights to my brother for his Power Wagon and he loved them. He had one tire go out of balance on highway trip after 5k miles of use, and the company replaced it at no cost after emailing the pictures of the tire.

When my brother had his tires installed on his Power Wagon, he had balance issues until he went back and had them static balanced. After that he had no problems. He kept his tires (D rated 35s) until he bought a 37' long 5th wheel toyhauler and his truck was loaded at at max capacity. We sold his Treadrights to a guy who is now happily using them on his diesel-powered Ford Expedition that is his wife's daily driver, and they haven't had any issues of which we are aware.

Tips I'd give are 1) keep your receipts for warranty issues, 2) static balance tires per Treadright recommendation, 3) rotate on a regular schedule, and 4) these are the only tires I've EVER purchased that actually measure as what dimensions they are sold. A 35" Treadright tire is 35" tall. Like lumber, most manufacturers sell tires that are a bit smaller than what they advertise, so the size that fit on your truck before may be a tighter fit with Treadrights.

Overall, I'm a happy customer, and I recommend them to others.

m_lars

I’m sure they’re fine for your trailer. My brother has a set of 285/70/17 on his sequoia, they were horrible. They took a massive amounts of weight to balance them and they always had a bad vibration. The tread had 2” extensions in them, like the tread band was too short and they had to add to make it long enough. By the time he checked everything else and determined it was the tires, customer service said you waited too long to contact us, better luck next time. I was going to get a set with kedge grip, but after his experience I said nope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles