TRD Sport w/ 16" wheels = tire dilemma

buldyourown

Observer
I'm having some issues with my local tire store. I have an '07 TRD sport. I ordered 16" steel Unique wheels. Now that they're in, the store says they won't fit. The are claiming that my truck must have upgraded brakes and that a 16" wheel won't fit.

Anybody have some good sources on 16" steel wheels that they know will fit a sport? I didn't think the sport had bigger brakes. Am I wrong?

I went with geolander at/s for tires. They stuck me on some P-metrics to get me going since the misorder was their fault. As it sits, they are giving me a good price on them in a 17" size. Should I take the deal or is it worth getting an LT tire for light offroad use? How different is the mileage/acceleration between a P and a LT in the same size?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thats rubbish, the Sport and Off Road have the same brakes, only the wheels are different.

TRD Off Road: 16 inch wheels, e-locker

TRD Sport: 17 inch wheels, limited slip, hood scoop and color keyed mirrors/handles.

Everything else is really the same.

That being said, many have had issues with proper wheel fitment on these trucks. Not all 16 inch wheels are going to fit.

Try Wheelers Off Road:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm

You want the LT tires if you are going to haul weight or go off road, they are tougher tires and will take the abuse better than a passenger rated tire.

Last edited:

Mr. Plumber

The 05 - 07 have a hard time fitting 16's. I searched and searched until I found some I like. I ended up getting the AR wheels. You can make some 16's fit with some grinding .

here is some great info from TTORA.
http://tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11225

And here are mine

S3010035-1.jpg

H2H

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Isn't the fitment issue the front brake calipers?

If they will fit your Tacoma (almost certain they will) I very much like the Toyota TRD FJCrusier wheel in 16x7.5 on my 4Runner. I have ordered several from:
Toyotapartspeople.com

Select 2007 FJ, then click on wheels. $126.50 plus shipping from WA state for a brand new alloy Toyota wheel with center cap, wheel nuts and valve stem! You must order them online for this price.

I have had 265/75 and 255/85R16 on these wheels, and will have some 285s on them in a few weeks.

I agree, an LT tire instead of the P-metrics they are trying to give you. Wait a week and get (the correct) new wheels and tires.

Last edited:

keezer36

Adventurer
I don't mean to hijack, hopefully the answer to this is good info for buildyourown also.

If my rear axle weight rating is 3110lbs
And my "P" rated tires are rated at 2535lbs (I assume that's each)

Why would I ever need LT tires with regards to weight?

buldyourown

Observer
keezer36 said:
I don't mean to hijack, hopefully the answer to this is good info for buildyourown also.

If my rear axle weight rating is 3110lbs
And my "P" rated tires are rated at 2535lbs (I assume that's each)

Why would I ever need LT tires with regards to weight?

I am interested in this answer.
I understand the advantages of running an D or even an E rated tire. (mainly sidewall protection for me)
How bad are the P's? I'm sick of dealing with discount tire and the tires are on my truck and the price was good enough to make it worth running them for 50k mi.

BTW, I will never go to discount tire again. I'm very tempted to just go back and get all my money back.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
buldyourown said:
I understand the advantages of running an D or even an E rated tire. (mainly sidewall protection for me)
How bad are the P's? I'm sick of dealing with discount tire and the tires are on my truck and the price was good enough to make it worth running them for 50k mi.

BTW, I will never go to discount tire again. I'm very tempted to just go back and get all my money back.

Think about it.

P is for passenger car rated tire

LT is for light truck rated tire

You have a light truck. You will do light truck activities with it. You want them to last, and to not fail you when you least need it.

Scott Brady has a good write up on proper tire selection, I suggest you read it and then you will be able to make an educated decision.

Here is the link: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
LT tires not only carry more weight, they also have stiffer stronger sidewalls that are more resistant to puncture. Normally more plys, always stronger plys.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
If you can't or don't want to go back to discount tires to return your P-rated tires, consider using them as your street tires and later upgrading to a second set of wheels and some heavy-duty, LT treads.

buldyourown said:

Cobra69

Observer
Wouldn't Wheeler's Type a or b steel 16x8 rim fit for you? I know they are made specifically to fit over the caliper.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Depending on how close the clearance is for your new wheels, you could opt to shave some off of the caliper to clear the wheel. But if it's more than just "a hair", you'll need to make a change.

The American Racing wheels like this one 6085-6883 have about the right size/fitament for our trucks (or the Wheelers steelies).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles