Tray Beds

Blackdiamond925

Can someone shed light on the differences between aluminum "expedition" pickup truck tray beds from companies like Norweld, Patriot, and Sherptek compared to "service" tray beds from commercial manufacturers? Is it mostly cosmetic or are they significantly more rugged? Can you make a commercial tray bed pretty and get the same results? Is there an overland tax here or are overland tray beds a different product? Is there anything you ask for from a commercial bed manufacturer to make their beds more robust, if that's even necessary?

I've got an F350 on order with plans to install a flatbed Alaskan 7' camper. I'm looking at off the shelf tray beds (Norweld) and custom designed, year long build tray beds (Sherptek) and wondering about the same day install commercial, work truck, bed manufacturers.

Last edited:

Jacobm

A quick Google search shows an 8' Norweld being between 400 and 700 pounds, where a basic CM flatbed with no toolboxes or anything weighs in at 740 pounds. The Norwelds seem to be aimed at 1/2 ton trucks where payload is a lot more sensitive, and have a lot more sizing options. They're somewhat off the shelf, but can be customized out the wazoo. A work truck bed is going to be a lot less refined, and definitely more designed for carrying lots of weight than saving lots of weight. Durability may be a toss up, especially if it's just used for carrying a camper. Aluminum won't rust, steel will stand up to abuse better.

As far as a more custom build from a US company, I'd think weight savings would be more important than adding durability, they're pretty dang stout. Highway Products is a company I'd look at if I was interested in something custom, but there's plenty of choice out there for locally available off-the-shelf options. If I were in your shoes, and getting it sooner was my goal, I'd look for a simple aluminum flatbed from someone like CM, and add a couple regular under bed toolboxes if I wanted extra storage. If I had money and time to spend, I'd order something custom from Highway Products.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The other big difference is just in the general "shape" of how their built. The trays that are typical in australia and generally used for "overland" stuff tend to be built to maintain breakover and departure angle, whereas the USDM "commercial" trays tend to have a lot of low-hanging bits (boxes and skirts) to maximize storage and give impact protection, etc. They also seem to be frequently intended for use with 5th-wheel type connections.

Whenever I get the itch and start looking for deals, I find a lot of stuff that looks like this:
flatbed.jpg

1000arms

You might look at Duramag aluminum flatbeds:

They mention that they also make custom truck bodies:

The following quote is from the link above:

"If you’d like a custom body, call the factory (207-660-4700). We can design whatever you can imagine – and then set you up with a dealer in your area for delivery and installation."

yzeevy

Adventurer
The other big difference is just in the general "shape" of how their built. The trays that are typical in australia and generally used for "overland" stuff tend to be built to maintain breakover and departure angle, whereas the USDM "commercial" trays tend to have a lot of low-hanging bits (boxes and skirts) to maximize storage and give impact protection, etc. They also seem to be frequently intended for use with 5th-wheel type connections.

Whenever I get the itch and start looking for deals, I find a lot of stuff that looks like this:
View attachment 654910
You might look at Duramag aluminum flatbeds:

They mention that they also make custom truck bodies:

The following quote is from the link above:

"If you’d like a custom body, call the factory (207-660-4700). We can design whatever you can imagine – and then set you up with a dealer in your area for delivery and installation."

View attachment 654910

yzeevy

Adventurer
I see its from 2021 and yet......
What is the height of the safety part in the back of the cab?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94