Traveling with Dogs...

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I have had my Lab for a while now. He loves riding in the truck. There is just enough room for him upfront with someone else sitting in the passenger seat. (He sits in the middle) But now, I have another lab, and while she isn't that big just yet we know it wont be long. Since I have the access cab style truck, I was thinking of building some kind of platform behind the front two seats that would act as a seat for them, yet still allow me to store gear underneath.

My main question, is how do you guys with the same style cab travel with your dogs? I've also thought about building a full length drawer system in the back so that I can let them pass through to the bed and the cab and not have to worry about them getting into things.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If we are going somewhere local (day trip), the dogs sit on the floor behind the front seats (full size Dodge). If we are out for more than a day, the 'fridge lives behind the drivers seat, which makes it *really* tight for a pair of mid-size dogs (50 & 70lbs). So, when that occurs, they get booted to the bed of the truck (w/fiberglass shell).

I have a 30" deep shelf that spans the width of the bed (at bed rail height) that lets them lay down and see out the windows at the same time. They usually hang out there. That also leaves the entire floor of the bed for camping gear when moving, and for our bed at night. The dogs sleep on the shelf, over our feet.

It cost about $15 to build & paint.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
When I had the truck I put Kennel in the bed of the truck. or if you have a topper just put them in the back. They have these cool 12v fans to help keep things cool.

The issue I have with traveling with dogs is visiting national parks as they don't allow dogs on hiking trails etc.

Kennel fits in the back with room for the cooler and tons of stuff next to or around it.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I have a 60# Golden and we travel full time. We used to have a Sportsmobile 4X4 van which was ideal for a dog with plenty of room and with the top popped up it stayed quite cool. Now I travel with an FJ Cruiser and a 17' travel trailer. My dog has the whole back seat to herself and lots of room. When I am parked for more than a few minutes she goes in the camper which is well insulated and stays cool enough. Some day my plans call for removing the back seat and current shelf unit and installing a full length plywood shelf about 18" off the floor. Much of that space will be taken up by gear and fridge but as more will storable under the shelf it should allow my dog much more room. If I had two dogs I think it would be too much full time traveling for all of us.

What ever you arrange be sure the dogs have a good padded bed to lie on. Early arthuritus (sp?) could be a problem if they have to lie on nothing but a rug over plywood, especially on rough roads.

Cat Jockey

Observer
I had a 93 Yota x-tra cab I did the same thing you are thinking of. I loved it. More importantly, the dog loved it. I also had a platform in the bed that was at the same level as the one behind the seats. Had a boot for the truck and cap window and the dog could go from the front seat to the platform behind the seats to the bed whenever he wanted.

My dog approved, I am sure your labs will too.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I had a 93 Yota x-tra cab I did the same thing you are thinking of. I loved it. More importantly, the dog loved it. I also had a platform in the bed that was at the same level as the one behind the seats. Had a boot for the truck and cap window and the dog could go from the front seat to the platform behind the seats to the bed whenever he wanted.

My dog approved, I am sure your labs will too.

I am about 95% sure thats what I am going to do. This weekend I will go down to home depot and get some wood. And also go to the local junkyard to find a rear sliding window for the cab. I will see how it works out, but I think they will approve.

My lab is only 8 months old and he is already 60#. I think he will probably top out around 80 while the female will probably only reach 60.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
build them a platform up in the cab behind the front seats with a 3 or 4 inch memory foam mattress on it. they will thank you, and it will keep them up with you where you know they are safe and happy and climate controled.

disco 03

Junior sleeps wherever he wants in the Disco...

DCP_0992-2.jpg

AchillesBogart

Adventurer
Well if you put them in the bed or give them access to it, make sure they are secured or you at least have a canopy. I watched someone's unsecured dog fly out into traffic at 60 mph a couple months ago and its a horrible and stupid way to lose your pet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier