Traveling with a dog

Trikebubble

Adventurer
If we are in an established campground, or even populated dispersed type area we keep the dogs leashed to the truck, usually just with their leashes. If we are alone in a dispersed area, or with friends, we let them roam free. Our dogs tend not to roam very far at all. We do have E-collars for both our dogs, one is deaf and we use the vibrate for recall, and the other is a Catahoula and we will sometimes use the stimulation feature to get his attention if needed. We take our dogs everywhere with us, we just have learned to adapt to include them. They always sleep inside the camper with us as well.....spoiled mutts that they are. 36278280_10155335148361637_3026446518988046336_n.jpg

well my Husky i have to lash up to the big oak tree in our backyard so hes always on a leash on a trip... we attach both of our dogs to either a good tree or my truck tho.

Attachments

• IMG_20190724_195700696.jpg
    IMG_20190724_195700696.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35

dunhammrocco

If we are in an established campground, or even populated dispersed type area we keep the dogs leashed to the truck, usually just with their leashes. If we are alone in a dispersed area, or with friends, we let them roam free. Our dogs tend not to roam very far at all. We do have E-collars for both our dogs, one is deaf and we use the vibrate for recall, and the other is a Catahoula and we will sometimes use the stimulation feature to get his attention if needed. We take our dogs everywhere with us, we just have learned to adapt to include them. They always sleep inside the camper with us as well.....spoiled mutts that they are. View attachment 463901
They are awesome! Do you take any meds for dogs when traveling?

ThundahBeagle

I have a Kurgo dog seat cover for the back bench seat of my truck. Covers the back of the back seat, seat of the back seat, and back of the front seats, and prevents the pup from just popping out on the center console and giving g me directions. And he goes in his Kurgo Tru Fit harness, and the tether locks into the seatbelts reciever. Put his blanket or bed back there and that's it -for when we are moving on the road.

Arriving at camp I either tether him out with ground screw and long cable, or use his leash around the front tow hooks during the time I am unpacking and setting up.

Settled at camp, the long cable goes around a tree and clasps to itself, the other end to the harness, it does take some consideration to make sure he feels included near the campfire but doesnt tangle in chairs and stuff.

We hike with Scout everywhere. He's a Beagle who has been to the top of Mt washing in NH, Bar Harbor and Cadillac in ME, Greylock in MA, and been way out to the Badlands, Big Sky, Yellowstone and other great places, all by truck.

He sleeps in the tent with us or sleeps in the bed of the truck with us when we use the topper and outfit the back to sleep. We HAVE had ti wash him before bed on a few occasions.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Good question. Some trips especially any NP trips with lots of hiking on the planner we board them. State campgrounds shorter trips we often take with. On arrival we’ll go for a short walk before setting up. Then have them 2 dogs hangout in their bed in the back of the SUV with rear window open. They’ll just watch and wait till we’re setup.

Short hair dogs we wipe them down with a towel before they get put to bed in the truck.

I’ll never own a long hair dog ever again 😆. Especially for taking camping

In camp we keep them on a short leash. Ever see a camp chair with someone in it get flung into the camp fire by a dog hitting the end of a long tether? Its pretty funny once.

Spencer for Hire

Be careful tying a long lead to his collar. A young dog may be prone to running hard and hurting his neck. You may be better off in looking into a harness to hook the dog to.

Deleted Member 183

There are so many "skins on that onion"!!!

First off I have to say to the OP... You are at a disadvantage right from the the start because Husky's are runners! Give them the slightest opportunity to run and they will, no matter how well you think you have trained them. Every pup's breed has its nuances, and how you deal with your breed of dog while traveling can cover a HUGE spectrum.

Beyond that where you travel with them can be an issue. I spend quite a bit of time adventuring in Mexico and that necessitates my rig being searched at Mexican Federal Police check points sometimes up to 6 times on a long travel day. So how would your dog deal with that?

Then, how about you are stopped somewhere in a little town deep down in Baja on MX1 to refuel and eat lunch at a little taco bar out of view of the truck, you leave the window open for your dog protecting the truck. Then a enterprising scum bag lowlife throws a piece of poisoned meat into the truck and either steals all he can or possibly steal your home on wheels while your best "4 legged friend" is dying a terrible death?!?!

This kind of stuff will probably not happen to you ( I have met people that have suffered that faith), but the point I am trying to make is that "prepping" for your pup for travel IS SERIOUS ********!!!

I have been blessed to have road tripped with 6 different dogs over the last 48 years and when each of those pups grew up to be "top notch" travel dogs... Honestly there was no prouder moment for me or my pups when I rewarded them the distinction/ title of ROAD DOG!

baja_081.jpg

Last edited:

Jalopy77

They make cheap little waterproof blinking led lights for their collars. Turn it on at night and it helps you find them and other campers miss them with their cars.

Great idea.

May need to attach it to the top of the collar so it remains visible?

craig333

Expedition Leader
I use the ones that slip over the dogs head. Full 360 degrees of light. USB rechargeable. Seven bucks on ebay or twenty at your local dog store. Comes in many colors. Pretty much a requirement for a black dog.

chris the ogre

Beer Drinker
I have a 3 year old Shepard Huskey mutt. Always plan on at least 2 big walks/hikes 6-7 miles total. Tired dogs are happy well behaved dogs

Reactions: GHI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles