Traveling with a dog

Johncmng

What do you guys do when you reach your destination with your dog? I have a 6 month old Siberian Husky that I would like to take along on my trips. Do you get a long chain (I dunno, like 20 feet) and tether the dog to the hitch while I set up camp and sleep during the nights? Your advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
John

mnwanders

We usually tie up one of those dog trolleys between two trees to let the dog run somewhat free if we are in an established campground with rules. If we are in a dispersed camping situation, we just let her run free and she comes back when she’s bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutn79

Adventurer
First thing is to train your pup. Both basic commands and boundaries. A well trained dog is much easier to travel with and you and your pup will have a more relaxing and pleasurable time. Be sure to give lots of immediate praise when they do well, it reinforces good behavior. You have a very high energy breed, they can be trained but you have to plan for a release of that energy too.
I have always loved traveling with my pups, hunting, fishing, ATV, hiking, 4 wheeling, camping etc.
You didn't say where your destination is. Remote camping or KOA? This has a big affect on the answers you get.
I remote camp and have traveled with my dogs for decades and rarely ever need a leash but I always have one just in case. If you have to use a leash then a 6ft lead would be fine for setting up camp, be sure they can see you it will keep them calmer. A 20 ft lead may be nice until your pup gets it wrapped around every tire, chair leg and tree in sight then you have a 6" lead left over, so make sure they're is a clear area for them to move around with out getting tangled. Remember there are concessions you have to make to travel with your fury friend. If hot out you have to park in shade at minimum and maybe not do whatever it is so they don't have to stay in a hot car. That may mean your friends go to a restaurant for dinner but you go to a field and run your pup instead.
Never let your dog sleep outside tethered. Let them sleep in the tent/camper etc with you. A tethered dog is easy prey for predators. If this is your plan maybe doggie daycare is a better choice. I had a Golden Retriever who would open the zippers on the tent after I went to sleep and go sleep outside, but never on a tether. I usually let them out early in the am and go back to sleep for a bit longer and let them explore some and go potty.... This hasn't ever been an issue since my dogs don't run off.

Darrell

jadmt

ignore button user
our dog sleeps with us. We bring a rug for him to lay on when he wants. He sticks close to camp.

(none)

Adventurer
I've traveled with my pup extensively. I don't always enjoy it and have started leaving him with a sitter which seems to make him and i happier.
Here's what i've done:
-I bring a 5' leash to walk him/tie him up when needed.
-He is trained to stay close, so i usually leave him unteathered. He has an elevated bed he is trained to stay on as well.
-When sleeping in a ground tent, he sleeps in the tent with us. When sleeping in the RTT, he sleeps in teh bed of the truck (which has a topper).

Issues ive had:
-Dirty dog: What do with him once he's dirty/wet. With the 4runner and wrangler i had, it was a PITA. With the truck, i toss him in the back and he's good and i keep the mess back there. Same thing for dirty dog sleeping in your tent with you.
-Heat: Opposite problem here. The topper is well ventilated and i keep water back there for him. As long as we are moving, he's good. I just worry if we are stationary too long. Of course if he's riding in the cab, you have A/C so it isn't an issue.
-The main reason i'm thinking of leaving him home for the next long trip is just the length of time we will be driving and him just being stuck in the truck for that time. He loves joining but i don't like having him stuck in the truck for days of just driving.

knoxswift

I use a 30 foot training lead because it's easy to tie off shorter for when in parks that don't let dogs roam. (I also have a standard 6ft for walking/hiking)
But everything Scoutn79 said I agree with...it took some training to get my dog used to the freedom of 30ft and not get tangled on everything.
Now she's 9 years old and has camping down better than most of my human guests.

Hummelator

Adventurer
When getting to camp I put her on a 50’ cable I’ve made up and tie it to either my trailer, truck or a big log or something.
If there are no ther people around I let her off the leash.
She will disappear until I call her and then a few minutes later she will come Hustling out of the bush. I was quite uneasy the first time I let her off leash because she tends to run from me in an urban setting ( though that could be my fault) but having had her out a few times now I know I can trust her to stick around.
When it gets dark she goes back on the leash.

When it’s time for bed I lay a blanket on the floor of my trailer and that’s her bed for the night. A1A1A214-1C2C-4F47-BE2B-F63C9851F48D.jpeg

Reactions: plh

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Not directed to anyone in particular:
Don't let your dogs run around untethered in established campgrounds. This is coming from someone who lives/works at them. They're gonna get booted in the face when your precious, well trained, wouldn't hurt a fly dog goes after someone else's dog when they're trying to go for a walk, you will be in the wrong not them. It's like going into battle everytime i walk my two fifteen pound dogs, not knowing if we're going to be attacked this time by "free range" dogs. My wife won't walk the dogs by herself anymore. Sorry not sorry.

Last edited:

Hummelator

Adventurer
Don't let your dog's run around untethered in established campgrounds. This is coming from someone who lives/works at them. They're gonna get booted in the face when your precious, well trained, wouldn't hurt a fly dog goes after someone else's dog when they're trying to go for a walk, you will be in the wrong not them. It's like going into battle everytime i walk my two fifteen pound dogs, not knowing if we're going to be attacked this time by "free range" dogs. My wife won't walk the dogs by herself anymore. Sorry not sorry.
I completely agree with that. If I happen the be in a proper camp ground the dogs are always on a leash. You never know what another dog would do and how your dog will react.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Don't let your dog's run around untethered in established campgrounds. This is coming from someone who lives/works at them. They're gonna get booted in the face when your precious, well trained, wouldn't hurt a fly dog goes after someone else's dog when they're trying to go for a walk, you will be in the wrong not them. It's like going into battle everytime i walk my two fifteen pound dogs, not knowing if we're going to be attacked this time by "free range" dogs. My wife won't walk the dogs by herself anymore. Sorry not sorry.

I completely agree. If I am in an area with lots of other people/dogs my pups are on a leash. It is just the responsible thing to do.
Remember not everyone is a dog person and some are completely terrified of dogs. So you never know how a human will react either.
I was in the middle of nowhere Canyonlands once and we hadn't seen another vehicle in hours. A few minutes after we stopped to look at a historic sign another couple pulled up and when the lady got out of the car my pup sauntered her way to say hi. My pup didn't even get close and the lady started screaming. I put my dog on her leash immediately but the lady wouldn't get within 30-40 feet of us and stood to the side until we finished checking out the area.

Darrell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94