Travel in the Intercontinental Cruiser

Healeyjet

Explorer
Cruiser Travel 2016-09-14

We are off! Our first trip in the newly built Cruiser (or ************ Rig, as many passers by call it) was weeks before our son's June wedding. That trip was to Overland Expo in Flagstaff. Now this trip is organized in time to return home for the birth of our first Grandchild! My "5 year window" is closing in on us, so we are getting out and getting going! This trip will be far more "urban" than our other trips. We are on our way to Overland Expo East in Asheville, NC. The opportunity to camp on the grounds of the Biltmore Estate was far too much for Annie and I to ignore. Planning was started but this trip would find us away from home for longer than we had ever been. This trip would be 6 weeks and roughly 6,000 miles. We would need to fill our days, especially Annie, as I would be working remotely from the Cruiser for the first three weeks and the last week heading home. We even brought along her sewing machine if she got bored at any time. We plotted out a rough direction but all roads were left open to how we felt that day and what we wanted to see. The route was loosely set each morning but changed many times through the day. This trip report will get far more scenic once we get through this first week.

It is always hectic before you leave for a trip but because we were leaving for a 6 week span from Sept 14 to Oct 31 we had a lot of winter preparation to do in the house and yard. All of our yard work winter prep (yes it gets very cold and snowy here in Western Canada) needed to be done before we left town. As well we decided to put a new set of soffit, facia, and eaves trough on the house in preparation for my installing board and batten siding in spring. We also arranged for an appraisal of the Cruiser so that we could buy the proper amount of vehicle insurance for driving in the USA. As usual, we tired ourselves out so that we were ready for a holiday!!

Annie and I worked at our jobs on Wednesday the 14th in the morning. Thank goodness we prepped and packed the Cruiser in the days before we left. All we needed was the last minute stuff and to get on the road to make it a couple hours down the road to Regina, SK. Annie had just finished up a baby quilt for our nieces new baby so that was the first order of business. We left her downtown home quite late and needed to find our first overnight parking spot. The Legislative Buildings?!! Why not?!! What a beautiful setting and It seemed like no patrol cars where coming around. Perfect.

September 15, Thursday, we woke up early with such a spectacular setting of the Wascana Lake, flower gardens and the impressive historic legislative buildings. By 8 AM we were on the first guided tour of the buildings! We had arranged to meet up with our son between classes at the University of Regina so we blasted over there to have a visit before heading out of town on the Trans Canada Highway to Portage La Prairie for supper with friends. It was so nice to see them and so easy to catch up where we left off. Some friends are just like that, comfortable. We hit the road from the Boston Pizza parking lot to spend the night in Winnipeg.

September 16, Friday, I spent the day in the office with my business partner while Annie hit up Ikea and bought some items for the Cruiser.

September 17, Saturday, we woke up and said our goodbyes to our hosts before we headed over to more friends for a brunch visit. The extra bonus was to have a visit with my friend's parents, who happened to be in town visiting. We overstayed our visit..... But had a great time. We left about 5 and headed out the Trans Canada Highway towards Emo ON. We traveled as far as Falcon Lake and parked for the night.
I spotted this beauty on the side of the road. I had to stop and snap some pictures as we would be in Ames, IA in a couple days visiting friends who own Anything Scout. Anything Scout set the Overland Expo west on fire this spring with their unveiling of their #NewLegend Scout. The New Legend puts a vintage IHC Scout body onto a brand new Jeep JK chassis.

September 18,Sunday, we woke up early and drove through beautiful Lake of the Woods and Canadian Shield country. We timed it perfectly to meet up with a friend and his wife. We had a fantastic visit with them and toured the Cruiser as well. Our host suggested we head towards Lake Superior and follow it south as a scenic route. With that advise we decided to cross the border at International Falls and follow highway 53 and then the 1 East to Ely Minnesota for the night. Ely is canoe country and has a large number of canoe outfitting businesses. We parked downtown in the Catholic Church parking lot across from the church and across the street from a Zup grocery store. Perfect location!

September 19, Monday, I worked as Annie bounced around Ely ( pronounced Eelee) looking in shop windows and grocery shopping. She is always curious to see inside of a church and as a bonus one was open. We left Ely on the only highway out and headed to the edge of Lake Superior. We made our way down the 61 highway to hike a trail at Tettegouche State Park. We did a 2 mile hike parallel to the river to see a falls. Great exercise that we needed. Back in the Cruiser we headed towards Split Rock Lighthouse. Although when we got there the Lighthouse was already closed to visitors we still sneaked into the park for a quick peek of the exterior. We parked ourselves just down the road at the highway turnout that was a lookout for people to enjoy a view of the lighthouse. Annie commented that travelling along the huge body of water was a bit confusing. This one sure felt like an ocean, with a light house and all!

After cooking supper in the Cruiser we read for a while then retired for the night. Annie and I have had many discussions about whether we could live full time in the Cruiser and if so how our lives would look. This particular evening we had pulled into an overlook that had a view of the lighthouse. Annie commented to me "is this who we are now? Those people that have no home and park on the side of the road every night." My thought turned to the lighthouse and I pulled back the blind while laying in bed. The sight that greeted me was utterly amazing. A clear sky and the moon was coming up right behind the lighthouse. The moon reflecting off Lake Superior was utterly amazing. I commented to Annie, "yes, I guess we are those people. The people who get to have different amazing view at any time." I went to sleep that night excited about the morning view we would be treated to. In fact I set an alarm for 5:30 so I could watch the sunrise.

September 20, Tuesday, It was a very early morning as I planned to watch the sunrise from our overlook spot. The sunrise did not disappoint us at all! It was spectacular. The air was chilly but we bundled up and took photos galore. Lots of fun. Off to Duluth were Annie found a nice nice fabric shop, according to their ad! Annie spent lots of time in the shop while I worked in the Cruiser. We quite liked the look of the old town Duluth and plan to go back and spend more time poking around. Maybe even a place to go back to. We headed over to Stillwater MN grabbing supperand had supper at a cajun BBQ join. After letting the sun set on us on the deck we decided to weather the terrible rain that night in Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic Church parking lot, Bayport, MN.

September 21, Wednesday, We had a restless night as it rained so hard that we thought it was hailing . Our phones both received storm warnings with flooding alerts at 2am! We woke up appreciating the well kept beautiful parking location we turned into. We ate breakfast outside in the fresh ,crisp air and noticed that people were arriving at the church and so Annie joined into the morning Mass. The Mass was in the original Spanish style Chapel and then she was invited to coffee and muffins in the greeting area. She had a great time meeting the little group and they sent goodies out the door with her for me as I worked away in the Cruiser. We decided to drive into Red Wing and check out the Redwing Boots that make the boots our son's love to wear. We couldn't find the right size and style that the boys would like from the discount basement. So off we went with empty arms :( disappointed. We traveled to Kellogg and parked late in a town hall type parking lot for the night. Not before admiring the huge boot at the Redwing store.

September 22, Thursday, We drove in to Winona, MN to meet with Teak Works 4U. I had contacted them about making a teak mat for our Cruiser bathroom. After we were all measured up and a template drawn we were off. They gave us a sample standard size mat to try out and use until we came back for the full size mat. Customer service like that I love! We made some big miles after that to Waterloo, IA and parked in big box area for the night. We topped up at Walmart and a liquor store. Done for the night.

Just to show that not all days are awesome sunsets and views, here is a shot of one of the days it rained. Luckily for us it was a travel day.

This was our trip so far. One week in.

Much more to come.

Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
More on our last trip to Overland Expo East

September 23, Friday, We grabbed a Starbucks coffee and hit the road to Oskaloosa Iowa to meet up with the guys from Kelderman. Wes the tech guy and Jeff, the owner were impressed with the Cruiser and I was able to ask a few questions about their Kelderman air ride system that we have in the Cruiser. The second item was to hunt out the Frank Lloyd Wright designed house named Lamberson . We took pictures from the street and moved on.

It made us look forward to the house tours we have signed up for later in the trip! We traveled through Des Moines and a little north to pull into Ames and find Anything Scout's shop. If you aren't familiar with Anything Scout check them out at http://anythingscout.com/ . They take vintage IHC Scouts and rebuild them using a new Jeep JK chassis and AEV goodies as well as installing some wild engine combinations. Very Cool!

We were joyfully met by Sean who we had met at the Flagstaff Overland Expo in May and had spent a few days exploring the Valley of the Gods in our caravan group. After a tour of their shop and a free t-shirt, we joined Sean, Heather and Owen for a Mexican supper. After supper we went to see what a high school football game looks like, American style. We couldn't get over the number of small kids running around. The fans in the stands, the band performing, the cheerleaders and the presentation of the Homecoming King,Queen, and their court was over the top. It was very cool to be part of.

September 24, Saturday, The Ames downtown Farmers Market is the place to be! We grabbed a coffee at Cafe Diem which had cool sketch art on the walls and a guy doing some early morning personal sketching in a booth. Thought of our son Jake and sent him a few pics. We moved down the street to listen to Sean, Lily, Olivia, brother in law Gabe, and a few other guys provide music for the street market.

They were fabulous and we sang and even danced a little to make them smile! The young, petite gal who was making corn brooms impressed us with her vintage set up and her salesman Dad, so we invested in a $25 broom to take home with us. We have lots of room in our rear storage compartment yet!

The purchase of some local cheese curds. After that we went to check out an All Breeds Jeep show in Nevada with just Sean and his son Owen. We pulled in and spent a few hours checking out different Jeep personalities and watching people drive the obstacle course. The best watching was when the 2 door Suzuki sidekick's front tires fell off the 4 pole bridge. His wife was on the course and not impressed, haha.

The event volunteers attached straps and lifted him back up to finish the bridge with a valuable spotter. After saying goodbye to Sean and Owen we drove the 30 highway to Cedar Rapids, where we stopped to check out the swollen Cedar River. As we neared the river there were so many dump trucks scurrying around building a berm and the houses were sand bagged around the base. Of course we needed to get a closer look, so we parked and joined up with a couple that lives in the evacuation area. They walked with us to the river and explained the flooding situation that wiped out homes just 8 years ago. So this time the city was preparing for a 20 foot rise in the river!

The friendly couple, Jeff and Angie, were quite the biker pair with their emotions riding high as they thanked the Dump truck drivers going by. Another random meeting of locals that we truly enjoyed. We continued on the 151 to Dubuque IA, and parked in a big box area on the outskirts of historic Galena, IL. We positioned ourselves down an embankment from McDonald's and across the way from Piggly Wiggly. Always interesting spots that feel safe and no one questions us being there. It feels less and less like we are doing something illegal, and more like we are moving our tiny house around exploring. Not overly scenic places to camp but this was always going to be more of an urban experience than a trip out west.

September 25, Sunday, Egg Day (inside joke with my parents)! McDonald's Egg McMuffins for breakfast today! The bacon on them tasted soooo good. We drove into historic Galena and promised ourselves we would stop when we come through on our return trip. It was early Sunday morning and although the place looked like the same interesting place from when we were there 20-ish years before, the shops were yet to be opened. I was anxious to get to the Anderson Japanese gardens in Rockford Illinois, so off we went. We had a very relaxing stroll through the garden with an interesting stop under a sheltered bench. We sat down in the restaurant for a bowl of soup and air conditioning as it rained once again. The rain has been coming down off and on and the humidity has been exhausting and sticky! We thoroughly enjoyed Anderson Japanese Gardens and can see why it is ranked #2 in North America.

We drove through Rockford, IL downtown and saw a city that has not recovered from the economic down turn and I am not sure it ever will. Many buildings were boarded over and even the churches were in serious disrepair and often for sale. Such a stark difference from many of the other towns and cities we've been through. We decided to register into our first campground of the trip and found Blackhawk campground in a little valley, snuggled against a river. A perfect spot for a water refill, outdoor cooking and a campfire. Watch out for the Black Walnuts falling dangerously from the trees!!

September 26, Monday, We woke up and packed up our camp site. But before we left our cozy location, we ate our breakfast sitting on our folding chairs by the river and watched a bald eagle glide low along the water. A great moment. Being a Monday I was quickly at work while I drove Annie to thee outlet mall in Aurora IL to shop. We parked at the outlet mall in Aurora which seemed to be a part of Chicago outskirts. Annie said she shopped very frugally and resisted buying baby clothes for our soon to come grandchild! She said the stores were quiet so the shopping was quick and enjoyable. We decided to drive around Chicago in the evening to avoid heavy traffic, so off we went to Grand Rapids and parked at a little strip mall for the night. We drove with our ears close to the radio as we were listening to the US Presidential Debate of Trump and Clinton on the CNN station. It was very entertaining, since we've been following the election from the start.

September 27, Tuesday, We woke up in Grand Rapids and made our first item of the day, a visit to the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Meyer May House.

Free tours started at 10 am with an extensive restoration video in the neighbouring house before entering the May House. It was absolutely inspiring inside and out. Annie took a lot of pics of the embroidered bed linens that she fell in love with. I filled my camera with light fixture and wood trim details. We walked around the block to see some more heritage homes and we happened upon another house in the Wright style. We chatted with the owner on the door step and took some pics before returning to the Cruiser and travelling over to the Meijer Japanese Garden.

This garden was of special interest to me as he had watched it being built on-line just 2 years ago. It is interesting to see a garden design in its early beginnings of growth. It was very large and impressive, as well as a huge sculpture garden that they are well known for. A trip to the gift shop made us realize that the Motawi tiles that I love are made close by in Ann Arbor! Let's go!! So the plan was drawn up to hit them up on Thursday, their tour day. Once again, "have a plan but be flexible". We needed groceries badly so we found a DW Fresh Market in the Gaslight district of East Grand Rapids. We shopped for groceries, missed the Starbucks closing time by a minute and then took a stroll down the street of little shops and the Yacht Club. Bed time.

September 28, Wednesday, Woke up with that cute Starbucks still on our mind. We snagged a coffee and some free WiFi. I knew that AEV was having an open house to show their new facility in Wixom, MI starting at 2 am and was determined to attend it at the start. So we drove to the new facility and before we could decide where to park, we were being waved into the building to park as part of the AEV show of vehicles.

The girls were hamming it up with the poses for the camera.

People at the open house seemed to enjoy the Cruiser based on the steady stream of tours that we gave! It was a lot of fun talking to people although we were exhausted by the end. We stocked up our bellys on the Bigalora Pizza from the food truck. I was asked to do a live stream interview and tour of the Cruiser for JPFreek, an online magazine http://jpfreek.com . It was very fun. The day was over after saying our goodbyes and we drove out of their building and into the rain again. We wanted to be in Ann Arbor for the morning so we decided to get there this evening and parked in another mall parking lot.

September 29, Thursday, We discovered a Starbucks just around the corner of the building from where we spent the night! A pleasant surprise for us to get good coffee and WiFi. The tour of Motawi Tileworks starts at 11 am so we position ourselves in their parking lot as it pours rain once again!

The tour was led by an intelligent and quirky fun guy who we thoroughly enjoyed. I worked in the parking lot while Annie hit the gift shop up real hard. I had to entice Annie out of the gift shop with a piece of leftover Bigalora Pizza but not before she had selected a number of gorgeous tile for us and a few gifts too. It's still raining!!!! We drove into Sylvania, just outside of Toledo Ohio.

September 30, Friday, We drove towards Cincinnati. We saw many historic small towns such as Bellefontaine, which has the oldest concrete street in the US. I guess everyone needs to be known for something! We did not stop to walk down the short street even though I offered to let Annie out if she wanted to. We passed through Urbana and into Springfield Ohio to find the Wescott House, the earliest Frank Lloyd Wright house in Ohio.

We paid our fee in the garage and met Rebecca who gave us our own personal tour. We enjoyed being able to look at the house but quickly realized that it wasn't the level of restoration that we had seen in the Meyer May house a few days before. Rebecca, a retired teacher realized we were from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, one time home of author Farley Mowat. Rebecca had read her students Mowat's Owl's in the Family . We thanked her for the tour and gave her some Saskatoon jam and tea and she gave us a young adult book that she wrote! A wonderful day considering that it is still raining! We continued into Cincinnati and thought we would go downtown to see Rookwood Tile. After a quick tour of the Farmers Market we headed to the suburbs for the night and stayed in the Norwood shopping outlet parking lot. We decided to treat ourselves to dinner out at PF Changs, shop at Whole Foods and then walk the perimeter of the parking lot to look in the store windows. As we get close to the REI outdoor gear store we notice people lining up with tents to spend the night. We talked to a few people to get the scoop and we discovered that REI has a quarterly sale starting at 8 am the next morning. It was good news because if these people can spend the night on the sidewalk we surely won't get hassled by security about parking the Cruiser in the parking lot! Good night all you sale seekers!

October 1, Saturday, I was looking forward to seeing the huge line up make it's way into REI. So I crawled on top the Cruiser to take a picture of the long line up snaking down the sidewalk. Once the doors opened it took only 5 minutes for all the people to quietly parade into the store, then the mayhem began! The sale was on the customer returns that they couldn't put back on the shelf to sell. So a $120 pair of Keen Shoes that were tagged with "didn't like the fit" we're $60, and with our membership money going towards it, I only paid $30. It was time to get out of town and we got a lead from a couple older Boy Scouts checking out our truck, that Red River Gorge Geological Area was the place to go. We drove late that night and questioned the drive down some windy gravel road, up and down before entering the Red River Gorge Primitive campground. The 3 men sitting on the front porch were sure that we were lost. We had to explain that we didn't need any services and then they took our $20, which also included a shot of Apple Pie Moonshine! We thought they were joking now, but apparently it's standard there, haha. I went back to collect his moonshine shot but the boys moved it inside. We got a campfire going and couldn't believe the jungle sounds we heard from the frogs, crickets, and some kind of bird. The other campers were lively but respectful. Thank goodness we can't hear much of anything once we close the door.

October 2, Sunday, We woke up to heavy mist up against the wooded hills. After our outdoor breakfast we headed out of the campground and needed to stop at a gas station to purchase a Park Permit. We were open to chatting with people who asked us if the Cruiser was ours and one guy tried to tell us where to go hiking. So we asked the guy if we could join in his hike. He said he would love to have us along so we followed Kirk to the little known trailhead. Annie got a business card off of Kirk so that she could google him and find out if he was legit. He has a Facebook page called Kentucky Adventure tours! He does this for free and we had a blast!! Off we go down an old logging/exploration road that is grown in.

We end up at Whites Branch Arch which is in the Natural Bridge State Resort Park. We saw no one else on our hike and we got the detailed low down on the flora and fauna of the area, and economic history and issues as well. It was so worth trusting our instincts and going with Kirk. Although Annie was asking herself if we were taking too big of a crazy risk as we walked into the forest! Kirk was a great guide. After the hike Kirk lead us to the Red River Rockhouse where we waved a final goodbye and Annie and I had a peaceful, delicious organic burger in the great outdoors.

Annie didn't want the day to end so we picked up the scenic #15 byway and then onto the windy and narrow 715 to do a short hike to Angels Windows.

There was so much we didn't see, so we will have to come back some time. We decided to make some miles and stopped in Whitesburg for the night. It was an interesting spot as we looked at both the Walmart and a heavily decorated graveyard that extended up the steep road side.

Tomorrow is when the real adventure begins!!

Ward

njtacoma

Explorer
I love reading your build thread and now seeing it being used is super cool.

I have added a couple locations for my next midwest trip based on your trip report, can't wait to see what happens next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94