Trasharoo with no Tire Carrier?

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Trasharoo

Hello all, Thats my truck on the "Trasharoo" site and I can tell you it has not scratched the paint on my taiigate at all and its been on some long trips. Gravel road in northern Quebec Canada, and cross country to "Death Valley" and across the "Mojave" desert from northern NY. stay safe, mjmcdowell

Box Rocket

To help protect the paint, how about using a short piece of bicycle inner tube over the strap and buckle.

The strap and buckle would be on the inside of the tailgate (which on my truck is covered in bedliner) so not an issue. It's the exterior paint on the tailgate that could get damaged from abrasions from the bag itself.

Not a bad idea though. The bike tube could still help keep it from moving around some.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
yep...thats a nice product!!....and putting it on the camper door keeps the kids from slamming the door open too...(bunch of barbarians!!)

Sorry, I must have read it wrong as I thought you were just unsure about the fit. Now that I see your photo, I know what talking about. Are the straps long enough to go around the bumper? I know when I open my tailgate there is a gap fairly large as I have dropped ratcheting straps through there.

The other idea mentioned above looks like a great idea, and if you decide to change locations later, those hooks can be used for other things as well.

EDIT: After searching it looks liek the straps cant be extended qite a bit.. lol

DCP_8538.jpg

poriggity

Explorer
My trasharoo sits on my tailgate.. Works great, and I've never had an issue with it.. One of the best products out there, and customer service is top notch.

P2042931.JPG

ulySSes

Observer
^^ Used mine over the weekend just like that and rigged a beach towel in between the roo and tailgate to prevent rubbing/scratching the paint.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Mine sits in my bed, tied to a strap or bar. It's more durable than a trash bag, so I don't end up with trash everywhere.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Do you guys have any problem with the bag getting pinched between the tail gate and bumper when you drop the gate?

I can't speak for other trucks but on my 2nd gen there's plenty of room between my tailgate and the lip of my bed. I can easily fit my finger in the gap when its down, and if I didn't have weatherstripping I could probably still manage to fit a pinky with it closed. No problems at all with the straps on my trasharoo. My last trip (~3500mi including rocky off roading, dusty trails, and lots of freeway miles) had no issues at all with the trasharoo. It did scuff up the paint on my tailgate a bit by the end...

Bumping up an old thread as I have the same need: would love to have a Trasharoo bag, but don't have a tire carrier. An added complication is that I have a tailgate seal installed between the bed and the tailgate, so running straps under the tailgate is not possible. Any other ideas for how to mount/carry this bag? 2016 Tacoma with a Leer cap/shell on it.

FWIW I have a seal around my bed for a tonneau cover and I ran the trasharoo just fine. I had to unhinge my tailgate to slip the buckle through the hinge area but once I did no problems whatsoever.

Kevin108

Explorer
Install some footman loops wide enough to fit the Trasharoo straps?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
Not that I would ever do this, or even recommend it, but I did see this the other day. To each there own, and if it solves your problem then great.

However, on the highway I see this as a very big potential problem.

ab223f2ee840db4b87b121afb25a83b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutman

Explorer
Do you guys have any problem with the bag getting pinched between the tail gate and bumper when you drop the gate?

When I used ours I didn't have an issue with that particular spot (between the tailgate and bed) but when I had ours full my problem area was with the bumper. We ran ours offset so we could still access our tailgate latch but when the T-roo was filled, and we began to open the tailgate, the T-roo would hit the bumper and begin to push up on the tailgate which wanted to pop it off it's hinge. If the T-roo shifted down then it made contact with bumper and then not want to open. If we moved it to the middle then it covered the latch and made it a pain to open.

I pull it out occasionally to try it in a different spot but for the most part it's been collecting dust for a while. I am curious how one of the original posters who had it mounted on the side of their rack liked that spot. It seems like it would catch a lot of wind there.

Attachments

• IMG_20161001_132703933_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161001_132703933_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 77

Natenite

As I’m looking at these ideas, the same issue came to my mind that the previous poster mentioned. When you have trash in it and open the tailgate what happens? Does the bag impede the opening of the gate at all? I’m considering this for a first gen Tacoma with a campershell.

shade

As I’m looking at these ideas, the same issue came to my mind that the previous poster mentioned. When you have trash in it and open the tailgate what happens? Does the bag impede the opening of the gate at all? I’m considering this for a first gen Tacoma with a campershell.
I used a Trasharoo on a 2nd gen Tacoma with a shell.

Aside from minor scuffing of the tailgate paint, the bag does come up against the bumper when lowering the tailgate. As long as the bag isn't stuffed full or seriously compressed, there's enough volume for the contents to shift up. Between a little movement from the straps and the internal shifting of cargo, it works ok.

As suggested, to prevent marring the paint, add a layer of paint protection film to the tailgate. If you haven't already decided on a Trasharoo, here are some similar products.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/trasharoo-alternatives.197807/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles