Trasharoo Question

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Are there any plans to make a trasharoo with solid pockets and flaps that buckle similar to old alice packs???? I would love to be able to put recovery gear in the external pockets and I am worried I might loose something using the existing mesh pockets?

So far with all our testing, we've never had anything fly out of our mesh pockets. Currently i have 2 propane tanks and a bottle of Gojo handsoap :D

However that being said, we're working on a new product that will fit right along with the Trasharoo for more storage. We should have it for debut at this years off road expo in Pomona and available soon there after. You'll like it.

I recently used mine on my trip to Mammoth Lakes but this is the best picture I could find of it LOL...
View attachment 66763

One question someone can answer for me is if the straps are supposed to be crossed over behind the spare or if putting them on straight up is enough? I crossed mine thinking it would be more secure. Lord knows I don't want to be responsible for a giant bag of trash falling off my rig and hitting and possibly damaging another car/driver.

here's an idea for the Trasharoo team... I saw another spare tire bag/wrap on the trip which unlike the Trasharoo, had a pockets on each side. I like that since I could use it to store my strap on one side, a 1st aid kit on the other side, & then the trash in the middle.

If you did do that, I'd be happy to beta test it for you as well.

Great shots! Yes, you cross them in the back like an "X". When the bags ship from us you get directions, some of the dealers may not have the sheets to send out with them.

As i said above, look for the fall for a new product coming out that will co-exist with the Trasharoo as an add on to carry more gear.

I love mine, but that is a mod I had to do to keep it in place on my tire. Using the tire support as a holding point with the added strap going under and around it.

Other thing i would like to see, is a larger gauge zipper on the top pocket. I'm always afraid that it will give when I use it.

But loved it, use it camping or off roading to pick up trash left by other people!

Also use it as a car back pack for my tow strap and other extraction hardware to keep dirt out of the jeep until I can clean them after the trail !

We are still working on a horizontal load add-on strap to prevent sagging. I will note your concern for the zipper and next time we run a batch we'll go ahead and kick that up a notch. We try to improve each and everytime we make new runs.

My Trasharoo in action a few days ago:

IMG_0860.jpg

Has anyone tried mounting a Trasharoo around a pickup tailgate like they advertise on their website? I was thinking of mounting one like that on the hatch/tailgate of my Tahoe but I wouldn't want to bugger up the paint real bad.

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g using Tapatalk

That is a great idea. I know someone that strapped there's around an 80 series drop down tailgate and a hatch, so there's a good chance it will work on a Tahoe. We also have some heavy duty 3M film we can provide to protect your paint.

2 E L O

Adventurer
That is a great idea. I know someone that strapped there's around an 80 series drop down tailgate and a hatch, so there's a good chance it will work on a Tahoe. We also have some heavy duty 3M film we can provide to protect your paint.
I looked and didn't see the dimensions on the website....what is the actual width of the Trasharoo? I would have to mount it offset so it wouldn't cover up the license plate...

This is NOT my truck, just a random picture from a Google search, but it at least shows what I'm trying to describe. The 'Roo would have to be mounted to the far left of the tailgate to not cover the license plate or impede the rear window wiper...

tails3.jpg

08whitex

Adventurer
Here is a pic of a black first gen after about 1.5 years of constantly being on the truck in AZ. I did break a strap 2 weeks ago after driving on some washboard roads with it over loaded with wood. I have had this in Sun, Rain, Snow, Hail, from -5 degrees to 115 degrees. It has worked awesome and is one of my favorite pieces of gear. I will be replacing the one that broke before my next trip.

6009743872_29454e5d3e_z.jpg

brushogger

Explorer
This is a favorite part of our kit. Ours is black. It stays on all the time. I told my wife, it isn't faded, it's patina!. I keep recovery gear in the bottom and a liner on top. Bunge cords and wet stuff goes in the mesh pockets. We bought a large mesh bag that I attach under the flap with Sbiners for wet clothing. The flap buckle straps support it on the bottom. Liners, partial roll of paper towels and TP in a bag in the top flap. If it broke or was stolen, I would buy another immediately. When I get my rear bumper with a swing out, I'll add another. Yes, it's that good. I did get flagged down by a honkling motorist on the interstate once. When I pulled over, he said I had left my back pack on the tire.

voodoojk

Adventurer
I just ordered mine yesterday and my GF wont stop laughing at how excited i am to get a trash bag! lol Hopefully i get it friday before i head out for taylor pass in Aspen. I got the black bag but now thinking i should have got the OD...hmm. Maybe use this black one for rafting and get another in OD!:elkgrin:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I would just modify a large molle 10th mountain ruck sack as this is what they resemble

I bought a few last winter for @15 off ebay plus shipping

Nigel Caffiene

Gentleman Scholar
It is quiet amazing how verstile the 'Roo is!

I have a khaki 'Roo that is always attached to my Jeep. It wears wells - so much better than the old ALICE rucksack I use to strap back there. I use a heavy-duty liner inside.

At the moment, I am trying to figure out a way to store my MaxTracks in or strapped between my tyre and trasharoo.

222886_957804350333_9221664_44021029_2330887_n.jpg

300099_10100149168781453_9221664_44892659_853626_n.jpg

Looking forward to the new and improved 'Roos.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Trasharoo on PU tailgate.....

Yes you can mount a trasharoo on the tailgate of PU. mine is the one on the Trashroo website, a Ford Ranger and it has been on trips to northern Quebec Canada, 2 week trip, twice, Mojave desert, 3 days and 8 days around Death valley, not to mention the trip out west and back home to upstate NY. Down to the "Overland rally" in NC as well. 2 years worth of trips, long and short and yes it is faded and worn a bit (but so am I ) great piece of gear and is well made no sign of any failure, seams, straps, etc. and very functional. One of my best purchases for overlanding trips, next up to VT for the rally in early fall. stay safe, mjmcdowell

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
i have one of the earlier Trashroo's and i use a garbage bag inside.
Its now showing some light wear and has faded some. Also the draw string is a bit hard to work with now so i just make sure the flap is always bucketed.
Other then that its a great product :)

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Yes you can mount a trasharoo on the tailgate of PU. mine is the one on the Trashroo website, a Ford Ranger and it has been on trips to northern Quebec Canada, 2 week trip, twice, Mojave desert, 3 days and 8 days around Death valley, not to mention the trip out west and back home to upstate NY. Down to the "Overland rally" in NC as well. 2 years worth of trips, long and short and yes it is faded and worn a bit (but so am I ) great piece of gear and is well made no sign of any failure, seams, straps, etc. and very functional. One of my best purchases for overlanding trips, next up to VT for the rally in early fall. stay safe, mjmcdowell

Can I quote you on that???? :sombrero:

Adventurer
HI,
I have a tan one. I've only used for a couple of trips. I do think it is a great idea. Mine is left on my Jeep all the time. But my Jeep is stored in a garage and it is not a daily driver so UV is not much of a problem. I use a plastic bag inside. Without it I think things would get messy with trash leaving its goo.

Hauling fire wood in it is a good idea. It never occurred to me.

Sparky

Ray_G

Explorer
So aside from the horizontal strap idea, any ideas for preventing sagging as it hangs off the tire? One thing I was considering was adding in straps with appropriate buckles that wrap around the spare tire carrier (i.e. in the case of Discovery or some other door mounted external spare carrier having straps that wrap vertically around the carrier itself and the buckle into the Trasharoo top and bottom). Just need to source appropriate webbing & buckles to give it a try I am thinking. Thoughts?
r-
Ray

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
So aside from the horizontal strap idea, any ideas for preventing sagging as it hangs off the tire? One thing I was considering was adding in straps with appropriate buckles that wrap around the spare tire carrier (i.e. in the case of Discovery or some other door mounted external spare carrier having straps that wrap vertically around the carrier itself and the buckle into the Trasharoo top and bottom). Just need to source appropriate webbing & buckles to give it a try I am thinking. Thoughts?
r-
Ray

Ray, we're actually in the middle of testing our "Sag Strap". It ties the two leads together to stop the sagging issue.

sagstrap.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles