trasharoo improvement/changes thread

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
just want to start a thread on improvements to the trasharoo (if someone already started something like this then let me know and i will move over there)

I have only had mine for about 3 months and probably only been used in back-country trips a total of 25 days.

1. on the straps that go on the tire if there was one of each buckle on the top straps (one male fastex and one female on each side) they could be snapped together to form a top loop to hang it from a tree or the tire without having to completely hook it all up and readjust the straps. (i generally use mine on the outside of the swing-out while driving then take it off and reinstall on the inside of the carrier around at camp so it faces inside with the swing-out open.

2. the outside pockets are extremely tight and hard to put things into when the main compartment has stuff in it (a good thing once something is in there but a pain to get things in). a shock cord sewn into the top of the mesh pockets with a slight amount of stretch may be an improvement, but i am on the fence about this.. rather have things not fall out. i have not really used the pockets for anything so far..

3. I highly recommend not putting firewood in there, i did that once and the inside coating of the fabric wore off and it looks pretty much trashed on the inside of the bag. possibly offer a simple heavy duty cordura insert bag for firewood (something super simple, no draw string or anything and inexpensive) that fits inside for sharp, or abrasive items. I filled the trasharoo with sticks and branches and small kindling once when i planned on camping above treeline and that was ok, (no damage whatsoever to the inside) but chopped fireplace logs wrecked the inside coating on the fabric of the bag. and now i can see light through a few sections of the bag.

overall i think its an absolutely amazing product and i truly cant believe the price that they are selling it for. whenever this one wears out i will be buying another without a doubt.

will try to add more to this as i use it a little more (like i said earlier I have only had it for a few months and actually used it even less)

also could they offer a cheaper version with no webbing or pockets on the outside made from thicker cordura?

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow your idea for item 1 is really smart. You'd just have to reverse the clasps on one side, right? I like it!

Personally, I'd like a loop or hasp on the front flap so that the lid can be opened up and kept open.

I'd also like the drawcord around the top to be exposed for 8" or so on each side, so that I could tie the ends of my internal trash bag to them so the bag doesn't fall inside. It would only add two grommets per side (outlet and inlet) and allow a segment of the drawcord to be exposed as a tie-off point.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Great thread! [Trasharoo]

Great thread and all great ideas, and i really like the top loop with buckle. We've heard that before and may be adding it in the future. Not only is it great for hanging from trees, but helps you lug it around if need be.

We had a prototype mesh pocket with a drawstring/shock cord sewn in it, but it would crunch the bag and inturn lose its shape upon tightening so we didn't leave it in the production run.

Yes, careful with loading firewood. Make sure you don't use sharp edges on the interior. It's a rugged bag, but anything can rip if loaded just right. We usually recommend using small round log of wood that isn't split yet and do your splitting at camp. Although having some small rips in our bags happens occasionally, we put a liner in for trash so it never seems to hurt the carrying ability of the bag.

The biggest point you made that we agree with is the Price point. We want our bags to be on every rig out there. For the price we ask, its hard to make it too much better. Sure we could add more to it, and keep jacking the price up. Everything we enhance will increase the end user price. Heck we could make them out of ballistic nylon or hypalon, but then the bags would be $150.00-200.00 each.

That being said, the bags are stout and deliver what we expect out of them for what they're made for. Packing out your trash. If they don't meet a customers expectation, we will send out a new one, free of charge or give you your money back. No questions asked. We stand behind each and everyone we sell. We are a small company and we strive for great customer service we feel doesn't really exist much anymore in todays world.

We will be watching this thread closely as to what we can improve on our next batch. As we are expected to have our next production run finished here within days we will have to wait till the next 'go-around' anyhow. It's hard to balance the two sometimes. As we are trying to expand the product line past the Trasharoo, we're also constantly adjusting production to stay ahead of the demand.

Keep it coming guys, we'll do whatever we can to make the bags better with affordability in mind. After all, without you... the customers we wouldn't have a product to sell.

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
1. on the straps that go on the tire if there was one of each buckle on the top straps (one male fastex and one female on each side) they could be snapped together to form a top loop to hang it from a tree or the tire without having to completely hook it all up and readjust the straps. (i generally use mine on the outside of the swing-out while driving then take it off and reinstall on the inside of the carrier around at camp so it faces inside with the swing-out open.

By the way, drop me a line a PM and we'd gladly send you out a set of buckles for you to try. You can remove the ones that are currently on your bag slide the new set up, and reinstall the old ones and you'll have your tree/tire loop you wanted.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I have only had mine out one trip and think the idea is brilliant. I would actually like to see a slightly smaller version to attach to my REI camp kitchen.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
one more.

a small loop at the top on the inside under the flap (like a backpack grab handle.. a 3"x1" flat piece of webbing) so i could hook an s-biner onto it and then hang a small bag of trash from that (like a grocery bag or something) with wood etc below all within the trasharoo. sometimes a small grocery bag is all i need for trash on a trip.

i would be really really interested in one that was made from thicker material with no molle straps and no mesh pockets on the outside, just a super simple tougher one (take the cost savings from sewing all the molle straps and pockets and put that into beefier fabric). it looks really militaryish as it is now and i like to try to keep my vehicle as low key as possible.

thanks for the offer on the clips, let me figure out if i can modify what i have now and i will get back to you.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
The Trasharoo is one of those rare, truly universal products for wheeling/overland/camping/etc that can be applied to almost any offroad vehicle (didn't one guy strap his to his truck's tailgate?). Really a simple idea, brilliantly executed. Sure it could be made more robust (as noted by the man himself above), but at what cost? This sucker hits the bullseye of design/construction/price point in my book. If mine ever craters I will be ordering another that same day. I like the MOLLE straps. I had a tear-away velcro panel (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/TEAR-AWAY-MODULAR-PANEL-34p1005.htm) mounted to the bag for attaching my first-aid kit when we're fishing at the beach. Works great for a temporary attachment and it's always right there, easy to see, easy to reach at a moment's notice. I've since relocated the velcro panel to the inside where the first-aid kit spends 99% of its time, but the Trasharoo location was so convenient I'll probably get another velcro base for it.

Also, I think I might need some business cards to start handing out, Dave! Recently I've been hauling mine around on the spare since coming back from the beach a couple weeks ago for absolutely no reason. In that time I've had at least a dozen people ask me what 'that' is, I've been waved at in traffic to warn me there is 'something on your spare tire', and finally I actually got pulled over by an officer who thought it might fall off in traffic. Yeah, I gave him the website info...
:ylsmoke:
P1020111.jpg

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I just got a new one. I think someone stole mine off my trailer while on vacation. I always checked to make sure it was tight, so I'm almost positive it didn't fall off. So, any ideas for making it theft resistant?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
The Trasharoo is one of those rare, truly universal products for wheeling/overland/camping/etc that can be applied to almost any offroad vehicle (didn't one guy strap his to his truck's tailgate?). Really a simple idea, brilliantly executed. Sure it could be made more robust (as noted by the man himself above), but at what cost? This sucker hits the bullseye of design/construction/price point in my book. If mine ever craters I will be ordering another that same day. I like the MOLLE straps. I had a tear-away velcro panel (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/TEAR-AWAY-MODULAR-PANEL-34p1005.htm) mounted to the bag for attaching my first-aid kit when we're fishing at the beach. Works great for a temporary attachment and it's always right there, easy to see, easy to reach at a moment's notice. I've since relocated the velcro panel to the inside where the first-aid kit spends 99% of its time, but the Trasharoo location was so convenient I'll probably get another velcro base for it.

Also, I think I might need some business cards to start handing out, Dave! Recently I've been hauling mine around on the spare since coming back from the beach a couple weeks ago for absolutely no reason. In that time I've had at least a dozen people ask me what 'that' is, I've been waved at in traffic to warn me there is 'something on your spare tire', and finally I actually got pulled over by an officer who thought it might fall off in traffic. Yeah, I gave him the website info...
:ylsmoke:
P1020111.jpg

Much appreciated! Thank you for the kind words and PM me your address and we'll get you some business cards or brochures.

I just got a new one. I think someone stole mine off my trailer while on vacation. I always checked to make sure it was tight, so I'm almost positive it didn't fall off. So, any ideas for making it theft resistant?

So sorry to hear that. You can use a small bike cable through the drainhole and out the top to keep an honest person honest.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Hi,

I have one of the earlier models, works just fine for me without the extra pockets & after 300km of washboard dirt road here in BC, it's thick with super fine dust. Anything in the pockets would be just as covered, so not a real help.

Only real issue is fitting it onto the rear door mounted spare. The tire is quite tight to the back door and mine has an extended spare bracket, with the OEM bracket the gaps even tighter, so fitting the bag is difficult as the buckles are behind the tire. Maybe making one specific for vehicles with this type of tire mount would be helpful, with the bottom buckles right at the edge of the bag & the upper straps twice as long. Then they can be fed down behind the wheel & snapped closed easily at the bottom.

Here is a picture of it mounted up....

IMGP1524_576x768.jpg

And a picture from the rear....

IMGP1525_576x768.jpg

Other than that.... a great product :sombrero:

jmkoz

Be interested to know how much it would cost to get one to Australia

Grimbo, you are in the land of spare wheel sacks. Why when there are so many Australian versions of this product would you want to import one? - No offense intended to the Trasharoo which is obviously a very fine product but it would be like importing kangaroos to Australia. I guess the price is attractive but by the time you add postage it would put you into the realm of most of the Australian versions that you can buy at your local store.

Just my opinion of course.

John

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Be interested to know how much it would cost to get one to Australia

We actually have a dealer in Australia ;)

Check out http://www.auto-craft.com.au

Hi,

I have one of the earlier models, works just fine for me without the extra pockets & after 300km of washboard dirt road here in BC, it's thick with super fine dust. Anything in the pockets would be just as covered, so not a real help.

Only real issue is fitting it onto the rear door mounted spare. The tire is quite tight to the back door and mine has an extended spare bracket, with the OEM bracket the gaps even tighter, so fitting the bag is difficult as the buckles are behind the tire. Maybe making one specific for vehicles with this type of tire mount would be helpful, with the bottom buckles right at the edge of the bag & the upper straps twice as long. Then they can be fed down behind the wheel & snapped closed easily at the bottom.

Here is a picture of it mounted up....

IMGP1524_576x768.jpg

And a picture from the rear....

IMGP1525_576x768.jpg

Thank you for the kind words and its great to see a GEN1 bag still out in the field being used!

The new bags have twice as long webbing leads so you can do exactly as your describe, snap at the bottom or the top if you wish instead of having to snap in the center. If you'd like we do a trade-in special and knock $15.00 off the new purchase. Let me know or give us a call at 714-854-7292

cnynrat

Expedition Leader

I also have a Gen 1 bag that I use on my FJ Cruiser, and had the same issue with trying to get the straps routed down through the spare carrier and then buckled up given the limited space. Keeping the straps outside the carrier did not seem secure enough. My solution is to leave the straps outside the spare carrier, and then tie them together with a bungie wrapped around both straps behind the tire, and above the spare mount. It's very easy to take on and off this way.

I don't have a pic handy, hopefully that description is clear enough. Let me know if it isn't and I can take a pic and post it.

And BTW, it's a great product. I wouldn't be caught camping without one!

Sawyer

Adventurer
I need to get one of these.... But I really want one with exterior pockets and flaps (think of an alice pack) that buckle. That way I can stow recovery gear in them and not have to worry about loosing it on the trail/road. That is the only improvement I can come up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles