Trasharoo alternatives

nikoli

Just received my chainsaw bag and G.A.R.B. from NBX. Super high quality products.

The chainsaw bag fits my 12" battery powered Makita saw PERFECTLY. Battery can stay mounted on the saw with the charger sitting next to it in the main compartment. Perfect pocket on the saw blade for a quart of chain oil. Really like the vinyl lined interior for protecting against oil leaks.

G.A.R.B. will go on our Boreas XT off-road camper trailer's spare tire.

Excellent work NBX!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Looks perfect for a 30'x3"x30k-lb recovery strap. Or jumper cables. Or (2) 100-oz CamelBack water bladders. Or a bunch of pint water bottles. Or a broken-down 18.5" Mossberg 500 shotgun. All sorts of 'emergency' tools would fit in there.
Keep in mind whatever you put there will be covered in dust.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Maybe a long answer but here it is.

My Trasharoo lasted about five years. I always took it off after use and washed the dirt off with soap and water. Sounds a bit anal but worth while. The people that complain about the short life of the Trasharoo usually are leaving on the truck all the time.

I noticed the liner in the Trasharoo would flake off after a wash or two. It seemed to be attached to the nylon with a sort of adhesive.

I've noticed in promotional pictures or pictures of people loading up their Trasharoo with all sorts of items. The rear of the truck is the dirtiest part of the truck getting covered in dust or mud .

I also have a MSA 4 X4 trash bag. It is made of a cotton/Poly fabric. The only way to use this bag is to put a rigid plastic bin inside. The bag cleans up nicely and has lasted longer than the Trasharoo but I don't like it as much.

I have seen the Howling Moon bag which is made of a PVC material . I like that it keeps it's shape I suppose that would minimize the dreaded Trasharoo sag. That would be the easiest to keep clean but I don't know how one would suspend a trash bag inside it.

In answer to your question.

A perfect textile, external, trash carrier would have the following features :

Weather resistant material heavy nylon . Able to be washed without falling apart.

Flap that easily flips back for easy trash loading. No zipper pocket. Loading up the flap defeats it being easily moved out of the way.

Either a lip or other manner to suspend garbage bag inside. I use binder clips to keep the trash bag in the Trasharoo. I thought having a metal frame in the top of the bag that can be pulled up and secured to attach the garbage bag and would also give the trash bag some shape. Something like the last picture.

A three point mounting system to prevent sagging. Even crossing the straps does not prevent sagging. I've thought "D" rings on the bag three across the top and botom and one pair in the middle and using a ratchet strap to tighten the bag would be better than the fastex buckles which always seem to slip and break.

A strap around the middle would help keep it in place.

The MSA bag has an "anti-drop harness" that keeps the bag in posistion.

A couple of fold down ( like a dry bag) side pockets with buckle for extra garbage bags. The fold down feature would help keep out dust and rain.

Of course a couple of rows of MOLLE for some customization .

I ordered the G.A.R.B. bag and will see if it worth the money.

I hope this was not too confusingView attachment 471239View attachment 471240View attachment 471241View attachment 471243View attachment 471259View attachment 471239View attachment 471240View attachment 471241View attachment 471243View attachment 471259View attachment 471260View attachment 471262View attachment 471263View attachment 471260View attachment 471262View attachment 471263.
That's some serious weight on that truck.

shade

Since it doesn't look like the Nomad bag ever made it into production, I'm thinking the BMOG bag may be the way to go for a tailgate mounted option. At 1:21, he demonstrates the mounting system. It looks like the bag could pivot as a tailgate is lowered, which would avoid the typical problem of a tall bag getting bound up between the tailgate and bumper.

I only used my (now dead) Trasharoo for trash & Luggable Loo storage, plus a little charcoal, so weight isn't an issue. BMOG appears to use a very durable fabric, but I wish it only used metal hardware.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
My GARB held up very well after a 2300 mile trip to Overland Expo and afterwards. We saw rain every day as well as snow. The waterproofing was great and as wel loaded the bag and full of garbage it did not sag.

I'm pleased with the bag.

Attachments

• IMG_20190516_070413217.jpgsmall.jpg
    IMG_20190516_070413217.jpgsmall.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190522_090318706_HDR.jpgsmall.jpg
    IMG_20190522_090318706_HDR.jpgsmall.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind whatever you put there will be covered in dust.

that's what 33gal trash bags are for ;) Used to use them all the time as a seabag or ALICE pack liner. Cheap and easy waterproofing / dustproofing. Same as stuffing socks & underclothes sets in gallon ziplocs

Reactions: WVI

krick3tt

Adventurer
I watched the tire storage bag vid. Wouldn't have taken much time to tell the price. BAM ...and that is the reason I would not buy it, don't like secrets.

shade

After giving it some more thought, I'm skipping a bag unless I find one that can carry two five gallon buckets side by side.

shade

Woah that's 80+ lbs on top of the spare tire...
Never thought about using my trasharoo for anything but trash.
lol - If those are directed at me, that's why I carry a pair of buckets: trash. I won't have 80 lbs of anything in them.

One is a Luggable Loo, and the other is a sealed trash bin for what comes out of the loo and any other trash. I'm hoping that the lid will seal well enough that I can use it for a small table, too.

I rarely have more trash (human or otherwise) than will fit in a fiver. If I do, the poo bags can ferment in the sealed bucket, and I'll keep the kitchen trash in a compactor bag. I wouldn't mind storing the buckets outside my truck bed, but it's not a big deal to put them in the back.

unsung

Custom products take a lot of time to make. What you call excuses, we call life. What people need to understand (and this is on our home page) this is just a side gig for us, we are full time Military with young families, and yes we just had a massive flood in New Brunswick. Sorry that you feel these are excuses, we think of this as explanations why things are the way they are. If we outsourced to China, we could stock pile cheap products, but we understand the importance of quality and the rarity of items made in Canada. We are doing our best to keep up with the orders we are getting, and we are dealing with several custom orders as well, and while they take time, likely more than anticipated, but they will get done. We are dedicated to providing quality hand made products, but with only 3 people working on these in the evenings, things take time. We appreciate your interest in our products and your constructive criticism. We don’t ignore anyone’s comments on purpose, if this happened I apologize. We are responding to messages, emails, txt, chats day and night, 7 days a week, whenever possible. But obviously there is room for improvement. cheers

I emailed a few days ago to see when the GARB would be back in stock. No reply yet. Any idea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles