Transmission/T-Case Underbody Armor for DII?

mongosd2

Adventurer
Wow…just wow…let me guess, you've owned your D2 for a couple years, the wife finally let you bolt some **** to it, ran a couple of trails, still haven't learned how to drive off road and did something stupid and now think that a skid plate is going to compensate for lack of driving skills.
Here's some advice, drop the attitude and maybe you'll learn something. It's not a opinion when I've installed them and then ripped them out of the same truck when they proved to be useless. Do you daily drive your D2? If so, your gonna cook off the grease in the u joints at the t-case in about 1000 miles because all they do is let heat build up in a area where protection isn't needed.

And before you continue, I've owned my D2 since 2001 when I bought it new. It's spent it's life as a off road truck, not a daily driver and has over 50k of off road miles on it. It's seen every major trail in the US and NEVER have I needed a t-case skid plate. But wait, it's opinion...

oh, wait…you finished the VOT…

Red90

Adventurer
This is an open forum. It exists to give opinions. If you don't like them, that is cool. But you can't control what people say. We do have a lot of off road experience and perhaps with an open mind, you could learn something you did not know...

Lono

Adventurer
Frank, this is the part of the program where you solidify your well-earned reputation both here and on the other LR related boards. To steal a line: "Lighten up, Francis". I used to consider dealing with your type a form of sport, mild entertainment on a quiet night, but you know the old adage about arguing on the Internet…You've devolved this from starting with your original condescending off-topic reply to personal attacks. Thats ok, we all know thats your gig Frank. That you're enjoying the fact that I'm even replying now to your baiting is the cost of doing business with you. I'm ok with that. I swore off this type of stuff quite a few years ago, but since we all know you thrive off of it, consider this my early holiday gift to you. I'd tell you how many PM's I've got filling me in about your forum nonsense, but you'd consider it a badge of honor. Super classy of you to bring wives into it, BTW. But again, thats your style.

Wow…just wow…let me guess, you've owned your D2 for a couple years, the wife finally let you bolt some **** to it, ran a couple of trails, still haven't learned how to drive off road and did something stupid and now think that a skid plate is going to compensate for lack of driving skills.

So, lets wrap this up: You have me pegged, Carnac! I've actually owned my DII for 10 years, bought it bone stock (except for the SD roof rack that was already on it), and have spent the last decade making it a proper trail ready/overlanding capable rig. Its basically just like every other well modified DII out there. It's about to turn 200,000 miles. Nothing earth shattering, everything geared towards function. All the stuff you'd expect on a typical modded DII. (OME, RTE, ARB, BFG MT, EIEIO)[that last one's a "joke" Frank, don't stress looking it up] I've got plenty of trail time, thanks, in every type of terrain there is, from the dunes of the Cape, to the Maine Winter Romp every year, and the toughest, muddiest, rockiest Class IV roads in Vermont. I've wheeled a D110 on the Masai Mara of Kenya and a Toyota Troopie in Tanzania. I've driven with and have trained and learned from some of the best, because unlike you, I know that I wasn't born with Tom Sheppard's or Bill Burke's skills and can always learn something from someone. And yeah, I ran the Vermont Overland Trophy this year and finished, and did it with no co-driver/navigator in my truck, and if my teammate and I (who also drove solo) weren't the only team in that whole event to do so without someone in the truck with us, there weren't too many others. Your implication by mentioning that from my sig line is that it's a yawner. I'd like to see you tell that to the face of some of the guys who also ran it. Come on out next year and do just that. Anyway, again, I give you credit for getting me to take your bait. Just know that we all know your game and I did it of my own volition.

And no, I didn't do anything stupid. I was on a rock-strewn incline, trying to maintain some forward momentum, and the truck came down hard at one spot. I must be the first guy in the history of off-roading to break something on the underside of his truck. Or is it only people who do "stupid" things on the trail who break things Frank?

I never bothered with a piece of armor like that under the truck precisely because I figured things were safely tucked up inside the frame rails. But since my experience just showed me that thats obviously not always the case, I figured I'd ask the good people here about my some options, because unlike diff-guards and steering guards, there aren't a lot of companies out there who make stuff for the middle of the truck. What in the Name of All Things Holy was I thinking Frank!?!

Here's some advice, drop the attitude and maybe you'll learn something.

Says the guy famous for having a nasty attitude and demeanor on the boards. And yes, I WAS trying to learn something. Where to find a less-common part for my truck. You're right, I have an attitude: It's a negative one to the all-to-common thing that you do, namely, a guy asks a specific, pointed question here, and guys like you reply with nonsense instead of having the brains to keep quiet or simply answer the OP.

It's not a opinion when I've installed them and then ripped them out of the same truck when they proved to be useless. Do you daily drive your D2? If so, your gonna cook off the grease in the u joints at the t-case in about 1000 miles because all they do is let heat build up in a area where protection isn't needed.

Like I said, if you had offered up something helpful, and maybe relevant information like that originally, instead of your sarcastic, caustic, "I'm smarter than you" type of reply, we wouldn't be having this ridiculous, moronic back and forth. (and I include myself as guilty too for replying). I would have read that line and thanked you for tossing out there something that I hadn't considered.

And before you continue, I've owned my D2 since 2001 when I bought it new. It's spent it's life as a off road truck, not a daily driver and has over 50k of off road miles on it. It's seen every major trail in the US and NEVER have I needed a t-case skid plate. But wait, it's opinion...

I'm not going to try and educate you on the difference between opinion and fact. A lesser, more petty man would question your ability to understand the difference, but not me.

oh, wait…you finished the VOT…

Now, here's how this will probably play out: You'll come up with what some incredibly witty, clever response that I'm sure you'll think will really show me a thing or two. But lets spare the good people of the board, if you're so inclined. If you want to call me more names, question my ability, insult my dog, or whatever, have the temerity to do it to my "face" and take it private. We'll see what you're really about from here on in. Bets are being taken as I type.

Last edited:

mongosd2

Adventurer
whatever…guess I hit a nerve…

quick edit:
never called you a name, you really are the one that needs to lighten up

And I'm with Klye on this, please post up pic's

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Wow, D-web is getting competition!! This site has such a great reputation for lack of the junk- like this thread has transpired into. Why?? Just answer the question- maybe that way when other folks do search for answers they get them instead of pages of banter?? If you have/want opinions/experience, like we all do, start an appropriate thread so folks can search it for info- like does 'anybody have experience with full belly skidded trucks'? Post away with all this foolishness. But when asked for sources, post sources- at least be on topic. But then, how would one poke fun at the guys actually doing searches??

Heat build up? Possibly- better tell the folks in Alaska so they might can turn their trucks off every once in a while when out wheeling- great info for them! Or even at Winter Romp- guessing those Defender guys would add some to keep from freezing their toes off- inside the trucks! Experience tells and shows me many many more trucks have experienced heat build up from leaking oil lines starting fires, tranny cooler lines ignored and starting fires, etc, etc, but I missed the skidded truck starting the forrest afire!! I did see pics from a new RR getting stuck on a log, and after an hour of a kid rocking it and making a huge mess leave it to walk home. When he came back all he could find was a pile of melted aluminum form the cats starting a fire on said log and burning up $80k! And no, the insurance didn't pay.

But hey, what do I know- I only stayed at Holiday Inn last night and have to perform brain surgery this am!! Gotta love the web- never know when experienced adults are arguing with preteens- except sometimes by their post...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles