Transmission rebuild options?

tj90

As you may know, Im contemplating replacing the engine in my 260k mi gen3. Im warming up to the idea but I know that the transmission (Jatco V5A51 - option sheet says V5A5) is a liability and probably close to end of life. Ive been trying to learn as much as I can about rebuilding these by reading threads here as well as the vicotria pajero club. Seems like the Aussies have a few shops that are well experienced in rebuilding these trannies. Some go for HD TCs, welding pins to prevent damage to planetary gears, etc. There is one shop in particular over there that is pricey but will do all the updates etc.

I live in San Diego CA and wondering if anyone knows of a shop that is experienced in rebuilding these units? I read that the pins can come loose with age and cause serious damage to the gears and more extensive rebuild. Maybe I should do some PM and get the pins welded or peened in place and address the normal rebuild stuff. Perhaps the 5VA51 isnt that special and any transmission rebuilder can handle it. I will definitely talk to the local guy that rebuilt my ford f150 tranny.

I did a search on ebay and I cant find any V5A5 transmissions (think donor unit), torque converters etc. Only thing that is available are rebuild kits. That worries me as some of the Aussies complained that parts are hard to source. If that pin crunches gears, a replacement may be hard to source.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There were 2 of them in the junkyard last week, a 2001 and 2002 limited, too easy to just install a lower mileage used unit than rebuilding.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
Jatco is Nissan IIRC, so there are probably lots of similar transmissions out there that shops would be familiar with.

plh

Explorer
I was under the impression the 01-02 limited and all 03-06 had the same 5-speed auto??

Don't know if there is really a difference, might just be mounting holes or something, but car-part does have different listing for the 5 speed '01 - '02 compared to '03 - '06

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz