VA to UT/CO & back with a new rig, a daughter and a dog.

FAW3

Adventurer
The theme of this trip is transitions. I'll try to provide some enjoyable reading that summarizes my three week journey from Virginia to Utah, Colorado and back. Let's start with the transitions:

First: there is the transition to what seems to be the new normal. Primarily dealing with Covid and the new social distancing. But along with that there is the ongoing buffet of national political conflict, economic challenges, and a host of social issues. Times are changing indeed. The ability to be self contained and free to roam about has become even more important to me over the past two years. This trip may show me how important this has become.

Second: we recently sold our '85 Bluebird Wanderlodge after having enjoyed that classic fine motorhome for 17 years. So many great memories and over 120000 miles of “glamping” all over the United States. With the close of that chapter of our lives...it becomes time to move on to new traveling adventures and platforms.

Ah, the memories:
1630239234818.jpeg

Over the years even with the Wanderlodge motorhome available I've always liked to go roaming about and camping. For some trips I used my Gen 1 KLR650 as the transportation basis for my journeys. Some trips I used my old Chevy pickup or it's replacement, a '09 Toyota Tacoma DCLB truck with a Leer truck cap and a cot. This past two years has seen my simple traveling and camping in the Tacoma cap rig expand quite a bit. The Toyota rig is capable, simple and light and I found real value in those attributes. The only real suspension modification I added were Timbren axle bump stops for when I bumper hauled a DR200 motorcycle on a rear VersaHaul rack. For roaming public lands along National Park/Forest and BLM roads and routes I never had an instance where the Tacoma let me down. The key is to match the tool to the job and mix in good judgment. The right tool and good judgment normally will carry the day...but you still might need a shovel and a pair of traction boards.

Here a couple of photos of the Tacoma out camping. The key for this rig was flexibility. All the camping gear is modular and I can go from an empty truck bed to "camp mode" in about 15 minutes.

Just a mention of the tarp rig in the second photo. This simple addition really boosts the functionality and comfort range of simple truck cap camping. You have some sun/rain protection and a semi sheltered spot for yourself and your gear. As rigged with two poles you get maximum space. Rig with just a center pole in an inverted V and you get a great wind/rain break.

1630239134387.jpeg

1630239068165.jpeg

Third: in the winter of 2020 one dark and rainy evening I found a stray Blue Heeler/ACD puppy alongside a road about 2 miles from my home. I turned him over to Animal Control but he was not claimed by an owner after 10 days so we adopted him. OZY is my regular companion for most of these trips. Living with a dog is a new experience for me...especially a "velcro dog" like this ACD. This guy is game for anything. Loves to ride in the truck, go kayaking, explore any creek, take a hike, or nap. His love of life is pure and based on simple pleasures. There is a lesson there I think.

Here is OZY:
1630239362465.jpeg

Fourth: the final transition is I've decided to “up size” my present Tacoma rig. I see a window in my life where for the next couple of years I'll have good opportunity to travel and explore. My Tacoma truck cap camping has worked well...but a vehicle advertised here on EP caught my eye. I've seen rigs like this roaming around the West. I thought they offered an ideal range of function and features based on a reasonably sized, capable and reliable overlanding vehicle platform.

So I'm driving my Tacoma to Utah to trade/pick-up a RAM3500 with a Four Wheel Hawk camper. This rig was advertised here and after some PM discussions things fell into place where I wanted a bigger camping rig and the RAM seller realized that the Tacoma I had would be a good fit for his present needs. A win-win for everybody.

Here is the Ram rig at Pawnee Buttes, Colorado:
1630239529704.png

At Deer Creek SP, Utah:
1630239952048.png

Teaser shots for now. I'll add additional photos and provide the fine details/real world use commentary on what this rig does, how it works for my specific needs, and other observations based on some actual use a bit later.

Not really part of the transition theme but as this trip was coming together my adult daughter and I saw how she could fly out to Salt Lake City and meet me for a few days and share this experience together. I'd drop her off in Denver on my way back East so she could make it back for school and work demands. So for almost a week we both got a chance to have some fun and new experiences based out of this new to us rig. We targeted a few goals for the trip: touring Salt Lake City, doing some remote camping, visiting some hot springs, seeing native petroglyphs (rock carving art), and visiting Dinosaur National Monument.

A few years ago we did a similar meet up as I headed West to Texas and Big Bend SP. Laura joined me for the drive down from Virginia and we enjoyed Nashville, Memphis and Fort Worth before she flew home. With that trip proving to be a lot of fun and full of discovery...we were both pretty excited for this trip to come together. Love the dad & daughter time - they grow up so darn fast!

More to come...

Last edited:

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Awesome photos and what an adventure! Love that you were able to find a dog in need of assistance and then adopt him. Can't wait to see what else you share!

FAW3

Adventurer
ONWARD: This trip naturally fell into three phases.

The first part of this trip was the initial trek out to Utah to meet up with the RAM seller and allow each of us an opportunity to do a final in person vehicle inspection and do the transaction if all goes right (fingers were crossed here – a 2000 mile trip to come back empty handed would have been a bit of a low point even with dealing with Covid).

The second phase was taking some time and enjoying and exploring both Utah and Colorado and doing some nice remote vehicle camping. A bonus was the ability to visit a niece and her family in Salt Lake City and having my daughter Laura join me for a few days. Based on the variable of how the business transaction comes out...this part of the trip was an open question as to what vehicle we might be overlanding in...the Toyota or the RAM? But absent the transaction related issues, the bottom line was I wanted to do a nice trip out West and hit a few interesting sites. Utah is always a very enjoyable destination and after all the neat things an overlander can see and do in Utah...Colorado is right next door!

The last phase was getting Laura on her way home for work and school and the solo journey home. I could see this was going to be a mix of hitting perhaps a couple of high points along the way but the focus would be droning down various interstate highways for time and distance. This would be the real test of the RAM and it's systems and capabilities...essentially the long test ride home.

Phase 1: Truck Cap Camper Set-up & Heading for Utah

I had just fully serviced the Tacoma as it turned over 100000 miles so I was “truck ready” to go. That certainly made this area of such a trip a easy one. I loaded up my camping & overlanding essential gear and got the “camper” aspect sorted out with the goal of being ready and equipped to transfer to the “new” RAM platform OR finish the trip using the Tacoma.

Truck cap camping for me as proven to be a great option to enjoy the fun and capability of having a 4x4 pickup. I'll offer some details and opinions about my rig and how I use it. With the addition of a simple truck cap you gain a decent amount of reasonably secure storage and reasonably weatherproof living space. A typical 4x4 truck with decent AT tires has the capability in stock form to take you to (and bring you back) from 95% of open access public access lands in the US in my opinion. Ideally a 6' bed or longer works great for cots and/or sleeping platforms. Key cap features that I've found very useful include obtaining a cap model that has an elevated roof line that is 4-6” above the cab roof. This additional “head room” is priceless. Opening windows (or windoors) for access and ventilation are a must.

I prefer to keep it simple as far as electrical systems. My cap had a wired in to the main battery power port offering USB and 12 volt charging ports. These power as needed a portable fan and LED light at the tailgate, and charging phones/Ipad and the like. A portable power station provides backup and supplemental power as needed. By forgoing a dedicated second battery install and relying on the portable power station you gain flexibility of use and portability.

My sleeping and gear set up was simple and modular. My Roll-A-Cot with a Thermarest pad and Exped down sleeping bag provide great sleeping comfort in all weather. A Roll-A-cot is ideal for truck cap camping as there is no middle leg – you can place the cot right against the bed side and there is no interference with the wheel hump. My gear is all in plastic storage bins. An under the bed type bin is under the cot, and two stackable bins are stored alongside the cot. An RTIC 45 quart cooler is used for ice & food storage. All my camping gear is in the bins all the time. The bins offer dust & insect proof storage both in the truck, on the ground, on the truck cap roof, or in my garage. Everything is always together, clean, organized and ready to go.

Here is a good photo of the interior set up:

1630375970545.png

And here is a photo showing a bit of ACD "stink eye" as a response to being told to get down off my bed:

1630376076114.png

A simple bucket toilet kit, a 5 liter water can with a spigot, camp chair and a simple tarp system complete the package.

Next...Heading for Utah.

Attachments

• 1630376317217.png
    1630376317217.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 1630376359009.png
    1630376359009.png
    797.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 1630376387156.png
    1630376387156.png
    976.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 1630376409242.png
    1630376409242.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 1630376545667.png
    1630376545667.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 1630376671497.png
    1630376671497.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 1630376824177.png
    1630376824177.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
Ok, shifting gears...for the road trip West to Utah I was planning a fairly direct routing that included some nice state highways and some interstate running where time & distance was more important than looking at more flat land, corn and wheat.

Leaving Northern Virginia I choose to mosey through West Virginia and enjoy the state highways that give you a nice tour of the mountains and scenery. I ran primarily Route 48 & Route 50 and then joined up with I79 at Morgantown and headed North to I70. My first night was at Buck Creek State Park near Springfield, Ohio. A really nice park reasonably near to the I70 highway yet offering very nice facilities and sites. About 460 miles made good on this first day. The particular campground loop I found myself in was packed with family groups with small kids. Needless to say OZY had a great time licking faces, getting petted, and generally herding the kids around.

On day two I started heading Northward to access I80 for my run across to Utah. I made about 448 miles and reached Park Terrace Campground just West of Davenport Iowa in the late afternoon. This is a county park located close to the interstate and offering a nice tent site for $17.00. A quick can of chili and a cold beer finished up the day. Started to get some sprinkles of rain so I rigged up our tarp. Having a nice protected area from rain and/or sun, a place to sit, cook, etc. is really a big plus when camping out of a truck cap.

Park Terrace Campground; rigged up with a SlumberJack tarp:
1635458981612.png

My next interim destination turned out to be a LaQuinta Motel in Kearney, Nebraska. I made about 470 miles for the day...but constant rain and a forecast for more overnight steered my decision to do a quick and easy motel night instead of setting up at a campground.

After Kearney it was 340 miles to Curt Gowdy State Park, west of Cheyenne WY. Getting to Wyoming marked the end of "just doing miles" to get West. From here on I changed mental gears and started to really embrace enjoying where I was at and the exploring/discovery aspects of the trip. GCSP is a great "welcome to the West" destination and a beautiful park along a big reservoir. The water was clear and inviting...but being a water source no swimming allowed, no dogs either! OZY was not happy with this rule. Saw quite a few deer and antelope roaming around. There is a broad assortment of campground clusters at this park and many sites offer a great view & access to the water, or an elevated location to allow getting a good breeze. This park is ideal for fishing, kayaking & paddle boarding.

1635459143793.png

1635459173877.png

Our next stop was the Sulphur Primitive Campground in the Wasatch National Forest in Utah. Coming down Route 150 is a enjoyable drive to reach this area...lots of eye catching natural terrain and fun driving. It's roughly 360 miles to reach this streamside campground from the Curt Gowdy SP. There are several campgrounds and even just places to pull off and camp along Route 150 in the National Forest. This was a great route choice for coming in “the back way” to reach my initial destination of Heber City, UT. Sulphur proved to be a nice quiet campground with great hiking trails. OZY loved wading in the cool creek water. The nicest surprise was seeing a pair of moose as we drove out of the camp in the early morning the next day. I missed a great photo opportunity here because I had not yet turned on my cellphone and had my other camera packed away...a lesson learned once again: keep your camera ready! This entire area and Route 150 will see me again. There was simply too much here to simply pass through and not come back on a future trip.

Sulphur CG...a creek runs through it:
1635459242005.png

The next stop was Heber City about 60 miles from our site at Sulphur Campground. Arriving in town I selected a local motel that looked nice and well kept. The Swiss Inn really worked out well – neat, clean, well run, friendly. The Inn also was located next to Dairy Keen a great burger/ice cream joint. Another plus is that directly across the street is Chicks Cafe, a neat little diner for breakfast/lunch that offered great food. Just down the street to the north is the Bagel Den – offering an assortment of breakfast bagels – it appeared that every cop in town ate breakfast here. The Swiss Inn was a very pleasant stay for two nights. I used the room as my gear storage area as I needed to give the Tacoma a through cleaning and wash. The following morning I met with the RAM seller and we looked over each others vehicles. Everything was as it should have been. Titles were signed, a check was tendered, and we did the transaction. In just over an hour I went from fairly basic “truck cap camping” in a Tacoma that I was very familiar with to what I can best describe as one hell of an upgrade to a rig I had really just seen in person for the first time!

The Swiss Inn and Chicks Cafe, Heber City:
1635459278625.png

I got back to the motel and loaded up the RAM with all my gear. The plan was to do a second easy night at the motel, then head south about 12 miles to Deer Creek SP in the morning and explore the area and later get set up for the first night of camping in the new to me RAM HAWK rig. This would be the opportunity to get organized, learn the ins and outs of this Four Wheel Camper and the RAM 3500 and Cummins diesel engine. I felt I was pretty well prepared. FWC has a host of videos and owners manuals on the web that walk you through and give you a good orientation to their product. I also had already downloaded and studied the RAM Owners Manual which was available online. Being only 12 miles or so from Heber City let me plan to do some shopping the next day as needed before heading up toward Salt Lake City...and the beginning of Phase 2 of this adventure.

The next morning we started out. Today was going to be focused on learning about the RAM and the HAWK. Easy driving, figuring out the difference between the wipers and the turn signals, and what the small black button on the dash was for (uh..aftermarked AIRHORN!!!). We moseyed around and got some highway miles and some back road breaks. We explored along Route 92, near Sundance, UT. This was good test of this rig on a fairly tight paved mountain road. Nice hiking trails off the roadway. OZY and I just pulled over and enjoyed lunch and a bit of a hike. The relative ease of setting up the FWC was a pleasant surprise. Having a cold diet coke out of the refrigerator was darn nice too!

After this we headed back to Deer Creek SP and set up for the night. Deer Creek was a very nice place to enjoy our first night in the FWC. But the real treat was the boat ramp parking lot and the line to recover boats as it became dusk. What a zoo! We were just close enough to hear horns, yelling and the like from the mass of boaters trying to get back to shore and trailer loaded. After the show it was peaceful and quiet all night.

Utah RT92, side of the road break:
1630377725468.png

Deer Creek SP, Utah.
1635512663940.png

After Deer Creek SP... it's time to start heading up toward Salt Lake City...and this marks the beginning of Phase 2 of this adventure. More to come.

Last edited:

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Chicks & the Alps Inn in Heber!(y) I stayed at the Alps once when Parleys was closed one night due to snow and I didn't feel like driving through Provo Canyon in a blizzard. I eat at Chicks & Dairy Keen occasionally on the way to SLC. I live in Roosevelt on Hwy 40. You drove through there on the way to Dinosaur. Cool pup!

FAW3

Adventurer
Phase 2: RAM'n around Utah and Colorado.

I was really pumped up about this segment of my journey. The new to me RAM and FWC Hawk camper were certainly a focus area as there is a lot to learn and what kid (young or old) doesn't treasure the initial experience of a “new toy”! Now I've been out and about in both these states on previous trips, even lived in Denver for a few years as a child, but my previous “road trips” here were done based out of our Wanderlodge motorhome (33' long, 12' high and 30,000 pounds) towing a Jeep JK. This trip we would be using the RAM & Hawk vehicle platform (4x4, high ground clearance, 19' long, 9' high and as loaded about 9500 pounds). A new perspective was clearly in the offerings for our explorations with the new rig. We would take advantage of the differences for sure.

The real treat now was that I've got almost a full week to explore Utah and Colorado and have my daughter Laura join me and share the experience. As this trip was planned Laura and I saw a window of opportunity to join up with me. Once the “Google calendar of life” beast was fought and tamed this all fell into place fairly easily. Laura would fly out from Washington DC to Salt Lake City where I would pick her up. We would tour some sites in both Utah and Colorado and after 6 nights she would fly out of Denver back to home, work and school.

OZY and I left Deer Creek SP on Sunday morning and drove up to Salt Lake City. I had booked one night at the KOA near the SLC airport to use as a home base for picking up Laura and visiting the city. I've stayed at this KOA before and it's location works great for touring the city, especially the Temple Square area. I got checked in and did a quick look at my reserved tent site. The site was nicely shaded and had water & power. Then it was time to hit the airport and pick up my daughter. Our plan for Sunday afternoon was to hook up with a niece who lives with her family on the East side of SLC. We were able to have a great visit and have dinner with them while we were in the area.

Later back at the KOA we set up for the night. Laura is a RV veteran and she packed soft and light. There was plenty of storage available for her reasonable sized kit and assortment of clothes in the Hawk. One clear benefit of the plentiful outside storage on this rig is that all the typical “outside camping gear”... the folding chairs, folding table, camp saw & axe, ground pad is all stored “outside”. You don't have to load up the Hawk interior with gear and transfer it in/out when your setting up or packing up. This is a real plus in utilizing any small camper. Simple and easy set up & take down along with organized and dedicated storage are attributes you will want. Our Hawk came with the front dinette option. Laura got the overhead bed and I slept on the made up dinette. Both of us got good sleep with the MaxxFan running overnight keeping the air moving and the inside cool. We both also thought the factory bed cushions/mattress were very comfortable. I was surprised that such a thin mattress on the bed would be so pleasant to sleep on. Nice work FWC! I was also very pleased with the rear seating set up in the RAM crew cab. The rear seats fold up and then a folding metal floor panel provides a full flat surface with about 5” of storage underneath. You can open all of it up, or just do either side of the 60/40 seat arrangement. There are slits in the metal plate that allow for tying down gear. For this trip my RTIC ice cooler rides in the rear seat of the RAM and plenty of room is left there for OZY and his "spoiled rotten" dog bed.

On Monday morning we packed up and used the RAM to tour the downtown area and the Temple Square. Found easy shaded parking one block from the Square and enjoyed walking around and seeing the sights before the heat of the day had really developed.

Once past noon it was time to hit the road North towards our second nights destination: Antelope Island SP on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. I've visited the Island before, but never camped here. We both were looking forward to touring the island by RAM and seeing the Buffalo and Antelope that roam on the island. On the way up that way we found a nice BBQ restaurant in Ogden. The Holy Smokes BBQ was wonderful. We ate outside and OZY loved all the attention (and the bits of BBQ).

In the mid afternoon we arrived at Antelope Island SP and grabbed a nice elevated site at the Bridger Bay CG that offered a nice breeze and a great view of the bay and the surrounding lowland area. We toured the Island by truck as it was just so hot. Touring via the truck along with short walking excursions and a lot of water intake was the theme of the afternoon. It was a thrill to tour the island and see the Buffalo. Simply put they are just majestic animals in my mind. At the end of the day with the sun finally getting low in the sky we set up camp. Once it cooled down a bit the breeze kept it nice and we enjoyed our night. The dark night sky here was really wonderful. It's always fun to sit outside and have our contest of who can see a satellite or shooting star first!

This was also our first chance to use my old reliable dual fuel Coleman stove out of this rig. The stove rides in the passenger side storage compartment and with the compartment lid down, the lid forms a “counter” and is used to support the stove and provide a work area. You have plenty of room for the stove and utensils, LED lights available as needed, and the roll out awning is right overhead if needed. Most of our real cooking will be done outside. The interior propane two burner stove works great - but likely it's primary use will be simple heating up quick hot drinks and soups. For me the real fun is cooking outdoors.

Antelope Island, Utah:
1630437947910.png

Temple Square, SLC, Utah:
1630438041814.png

Stained glass window, Temple Square, SLC, Utah.
The beehive is a common theme in Utah:
1630438161096.png

Next stop...Petroglyphs!

Attachments

• 1630438132151.png
    1630438132151.png
    991.3 KB · Views: 1

RCP

Once past noon it was time to hit the road North towards our second nights destination: Antelope Island SP on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. I've visited the Island before, but never camped here. We both were looking forward to touring the island by RAM and seeing the Buffalo and Antelope that roam on the island. On the way up that way we found a nice BBQ restaurant in Ogden. The Holy Smokes BBQ was wonderful. We ate outside and OZY loved all the attention (and the bits of BBQ).

In the mid afternoon we arrived at Antelope Island SP and grabbed a nice elevated site at the Bridger Bay CG that offered a nice breeze and a great view of the bay and the surrounding lowland area. We toured the Island by truck as it was just so hot. Touring via the truck along with short walking excursions and a lot of water intake was the theme of the afternoon. It was a thrill to tour the island and see the Buffalo. Simply put they are just majestic animals in my mind. At the end of the day with the sun finally getting low in the sky we set up camp. Once it cooled down a bit the breeze kept it nice and we enjoyed our night. The dark night sky here was really wonderful. It's always fun to sit outside and have our contest of who can see a satellite or shooting star first!

This was also our first chance to use my old reliable dual fuel Coleman stove out of this rig. The stove rides in the passenger side storage compartment and with the compartment lid down, the lid forms a “counter” and is used to support the stove and provide a work area. You have plenty of room for the stove and utensils, LED lights available as needed, and the roll out awning is right overhead if needed. Most of our real cooking will be done outside. The interior propane two burner stove works great - but likely it's primary use will be simple heating up quick hot drinks and soups. For me the real fun is cooking outdoors.

Antelope Island, Utah:
View attachment 679685

Next stop...Petroglyphs!

My wife and I mountain bike out on Antelope Island, and coming face to face with the buffalo is quite an experience. Hopefully the bugs were not to bad while you were staying there, they dictate when we do or don't visit the island much more than the weather ever would. Where are you heading to see the Petroglyphs?

FAW3

Adventurer
Phase 2 continued:

Laura and I had talked about some “want to do's” for this trip. We put our heads together and decided that in addition to some remote camping we wanted to see some native peoples petroglyphs, see some dinosaur bones, and enjoy some hot springs. So with those goals in our minds...we set off.

We left SLC and Antelope Island SP and headed southwest. Since I had talked up Heber City and my recent experiences there we decided to take Utah Route 40 and angle down and pass through Heber City. We grabbed an outstanding lunch in town at Tacos El Guero on the north end of Main Street near Valley Hardware. Back on the road we then continued on RT40 as our goal today was a visit to the McConkie Ranch Petroglyphs near Vernal, Utah. Our overnight camping plan was to set up at the Dinosaur National Monument Green River Campground located off of Utah Route 149 near the town of Jensen.

Arriving at the McConkie Ranch we discovered a small informal privately run site. A small parking lot, office (with honor system donation and water sales) and some tables with shade are offered at the lot. Just the basics of signage and trail markings lead you to a moderately challenging path up the hill to the various petroglyphs carved, and in some cases painted, onto the rocks. My photos don't do justice to the images, but the full experience of the images, the natural beauty of the site, and reflecting on life back in the days of the native peoples and what they were documenting and trying to convey with this artwork provide a worthwhile and rewarding visit here.

McConkie Ranch petroglyphs:
1630536380313.png

1630536452034.png

Leaving the ranch we proceeded to the DNM Green River Campground. A typical remote NPS type set up with a simple registration & fee system and an array of very nice prepared campsites. Water is available and toilets are also on site. Hiking along the hills and the nearby river was very pleasant and there is plenty to see and explore around this peaceful and remote camping area. When morning came this was a perfect place to do some traditional camp cooking of eggs and bacon. Laura and OZY both lined up in the chow line for some of this meal! Then it was time to get a move and get on the road.

Green River Campground sights:
1630536790644.jpeg

1630537388687.jpeg

Today was planned as our official “Dinosaur Day”. We traveled to the nearby Dinosaur National Monument and did the full tourist tour of the facilities and exhibits. We also visited some additional petroglyph sites and did some easy hiking in and around the monument area. These exhibits are wonderfully done and presented. We really enjoyed the displays and informational presentations on this fascinating national treasure.

Teaser shot...Dinosaur bones!
1630536975267.jpeg

We then moseyed down to the town of Rangely and took Utah Route 139 South towards our next destination which was Grand Junction, Colorado. We wanted to visit the town, walk & shop the downtown district, have an early dinner at a restaurant and then scoot up to our campground target for the night. We had a great time shopping. I scored a couple of nice camping/travel related items at The Gear Junction, a nice secondhand shop on Main Street in the old section of town focused on outdoor recreation gear. Next we wandered into The Robins Nest Antique shop nearby and looked around. I enjoyed checking out the real antiques and collectible items....but in the back of my mind I recalled that the radio reception and station variety had been somewhat limited out in the boondocks...no real surprise. I saw a selection of used CD's in the shop and the RAM had a CD player...did it work? Scored a few good road trip CD's...Fleetwood Mac, Johnny Cash, Santana, Beach Boys. And back at the truck we fed in the first CD, and the display gave us the “invalid disk” notice...thankfully on the second try...success, the RAM CD player works!

Grand Junction, CO. Uhh...yea, we can fit here!
1630537057589.jpeg

The campground for the night was Saddlehorn Campground within, or more descriptively: on the very top of, the Colorado National Monument. Arriving just before dusk we had a memorable drive up the fabulous Rimrock Road. The visuals from this roadway are simply stunning. Also stunning are the drop off views from the passenger seat of any vehicle going up this roadway. Some of the no guardrail areas had Laura leaning “in” toward the center of the truck...she did not want to look out the side window! We found a nice site and set up. We had a pretty long day filled with activity and not to much later than full dark we were both showered up, in our jammies, and comfortable in our beds.

Colorado Natl. Monument sights...at the cloud line:
1630537470245.jpeg

Mountain Goat walking along the road. A quick shot with my phone:
1630537545690.jpeg

During the night we had some moderate wind and rain. The Hawk came through and delivered a leak proof and well sheltered experience for us. The overnight weather also got pretty cool which was great for sleeping...but in the morning, it was a very appreciated treat to flip a switch and have forced air heat. The little propane heater in the Hawk works great!

As the morning developed we learned the moderate rain we had during the night was much heavier in other areas of Colorado. Interstate 70 was now closed do to flash flooding. This sadly made reaching Glenwood Springs not doable for us for today, and as a result we needed to rethink our plans to soak in the hot springs and check up on Doc Holliday. So we decided to divert to Salida Colorado for the day using Route 50. I've been to Salida before and really enjoy visiting both the historic downtown and the river walk park. We walked and shopped the nicely restored old downtown area and I grabbed a few gifts for my wife and son back at home. We hit a bar and grill and had a great lunch then took it easy and walked, waded and just sat on some rocks and enjoyed the river side park just up from the downtown area.

Take a guess:
1630537645245.jpeg

1630537719340.jpeg

More to come....

Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
So where were we?

Salida Colorado was a great day stop...but time simply slipped through our hands and we did not have enough of it to hit the Hot Springs Aquatic Center and take a proper soak before it would have been getting dusk. I really did not want to drive into a remote area I've never been to in the dark. This rig has some great supplemental lighting but the combination of a new area & new rig had me being pretty conservative regarding risk management. So we skipped the dip and moved east out of town on RT50 and headed for an area designated as Point Barr Campground. This was a remote camping area without facilities operated by the BLM. The oddly named (in my opinion) Arkansas River runs right past the several sites at this location...look IFO the truck in the second photo you can see a peek of the river. A nicely wooded natural area with improved (mostly) gravel roads. We enjoyed a great restful night at this campsite. The combination of the town attractions in Salida and such a nice camping option only a few miles out of town puts this on our “come back someday” list.

Point Barr CG, near Salida CO.
1630600082897.jpeg

1630600183602.jpeg

The next morning we packed up and continued our journey west on RT50. We had a great drive and breezed through some neat towns that “next time” we may spend some time in. When we hit Florence we jumped on RT115 north for Colorado Springs. My dad's side of the family is centered in Colorado and we took some time to hit the city and also visit my grandfather & grandmother's grave site. Then it was on to Castle Rock where we had motel reservations and wanted to grab dinner. Why Castle Rock you might ask...checking motel rates up near the Denver airport will open your eyes wide. Staying a bit south of Denver made this stay much more value minded...after all, I got to buy 35 gallons of frigging diesel fuel to fill the tank on this new toy! We got a room at the LaQuinta Motel and within easy walking distance was the Guadalajara Family Restaurant. The motel was fine and the restaurant food was simply fabulous! I had planned to wrap up Laura's time on this trip with a motel stay the night before her flight home. I figured she would like unlimited hot water, cable TV, and high speed internet access...the normal essentials of life for a twenty something college gal. The following morning we got on our way up to Denver International Airport and soon she was jetting on her way home.

This was a great adventure for both of us. It's so easy to just go through your days and and let them slip by and not take the time and/or make to effort to invest in having quality time and great experiences with people you dearly love. Folks...take the time. There is no better investment you can make that really matters.

Now it's just me and OZY (the dog) on the hunt for more adventures. Part 3 starts soon.

Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
Phase 3...the run for home, but first:

After dropping Laura off at the Denver airport we (OZY and me) headed directly to the nearest dog park for some serious dog R&R. We found the Happy Tails Dog Park and made the most of it for an hour. OZY played really well with his new friends and he loved the pond as he is a serious water wader.

On our way out of the metropolitan area I chose to head for Boulder to check it out and then aim for a campsite somewhere off the beaten path in the Rocky Mountain National Park. Being a Saturday the urban center of Boulder was just crazy. I did a quick drive through and saw what I needed to see. We did a drive up RT119 and then got onto RT72 northward. My first attempt to get a campsite was at Gordon Gulch – there was no sign out but once into the area it was clear “NO VACANCY”. So onward and once past Four Mile Creek I took a stab at FSR328 and found a very secluded cluster of three good remote campsites perhaps 150 yards off RT72. The initial site was occupied so I moved down the road a bit and grabbed the second one. I got set up and cooked up a nice steak and potatoes meal. From memory I think we were up over 8k feet and so during the night it got a bit chilly. Great sleeping and once again a real treat to be in the Hawk and just get up in the morning and flip a switch for heat, hot water, and lighting!

FSR328 campsite:
1630636343868.png

Steak, sliced canned potatoes, corn on the cob:
1630674933590.png

The next morning after a little hike we explored down the FSR road a bit...it got tight and there were some spots where I appreciated both the 4x4 drive and short wheelbase of the RAM. Several more campsites are scattered along the road as well as an old mine. An interesting area to camp and explore.

Once back on the road our destination for lunch was Estes Park. In town I hit a fast food taco joint and found another great dog park for OZY to enjoy.

Estes Park, CO. Dog Park with a stunning view of the mountains.
1630636279060.png

After lunch the big decision was to head for the Pawnee Buttes and camp under the stars on top of a elevated butte. As I covered the last dozen or so miles the dirt roads were great to run on...but sharing the road with huge oil rig tractors running fast and kicking up massive dust plumes got a bit old. Thank goodness for electric windows! Once we arrived in the area of the Pawnee Butte Trailhead I found a nice spot up on top of a finger butte and set up. The horizon view was just fabulous...I bet I could see 30+ miles in all directions. The sundown views later I'll never forget. I saw two other campers in the general area in Sprinter based conversions. These campsites are about ¼ mile apart which provides wonderful isolation.

Pawnee Buttes, CO:
1630636511940.png

1630636558019.png

The next morning started the theme of focusing on making good time and distance towards home. Time to run on I-80. The destination for today was Bader Park in the area of Grand Isle/Chapman, Nebraska about 350 miles to the east. Made it to the park around 5 PM and set up. The park is small and set right next to the Platte River with a nice beach area.

So the next day we are again running east on I-80 and where else to stop for lunch than the famous IOWA 80 Truck Stop – the biggest truck stop in the world! I walked around the huge complex and had a hard time deciding on what to buy. Option 1: a 12”x4” chrome extension for the tail pipe with a 45 degree kick out...or Option 2: a set of those red neck rubber hitch dangle balls. I went for #1.

Near Kellogg Iowa we hit Rock Creek SP just a few miles off of I-80. Just off the interstate I hit a nice looking gas station and refueled. Walking OZY around I turned the corner of the building and saw a low structure and on walking over to it saw that it was a tornado shelter. Certainly gives one something to think about...

1630636601609.png

Once at Rock Creek park we saw that the park was about full in the electric sites, but only about 10% occupied in the “no electric” area so we grabbed a waterfront site. We got set up and OZY had free time. Another camper had a dog and they both got to enjoy some off lead time and play. A quick dinner for us both and it was lights out.

1630636624261.png

The next stop was at Buck Creek SP just east of Springfield, Ohio. We stopped here on the way out and being such a nice park we hit it again. Very nice campground area and I did the laundry.

The target for our last night away from home was Blackwater Falls SP near Davis, West Virginia. After a long drive this was a much appreciated destination up in a fairly remote mountainous area that sort of invoked memories of Colorado (except greener). Had a lot of interest in the RAM here...this area seems to cater to 4x4 runners, hikers and kayakers...sort of the market base for smaller 4x4 capable campers. We crossed WV after Davis mostly on RT48 which is often jokingly referred to as the highway to nowhere. The name fits...but the roadway makes getting into and out of this region much nicer and safer than in the not too distant past, especially in winter. I loved driving this route.

The next day we reached home. 3 weeks to the day since I left on this adventure.

Next up...thoughts and considerations on the RAM and FWC Hawk.

Attachments

• 1630636252686.png
    1630636252686.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 1630636371849.png
    1630636371849.png
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • 1630636413981.png
    1630636413981.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
Finishing up – Rig impressions, opinions, and other junk

First in all honesty my stock Tacoma 4x4 or any other similar 4x4 truck platform could have met my overlanding and camping needs on this trip. A typical stock 4x4 truck in my opinion would be perfectly capable of accessing at least 95% of public access lands in the US. A simple truck cap set up can be a very practical, functional, and comfortable rig for solo use or a couple.

I choose to grab the RAM as I have a window of opportunity right now to dedicate significant time to overlanding travel. Instead of a few days, I have weeks or more to spend on this activity. More time = a desire for more comfort and living space.

As a side note...the ability to go a few more miles off the beaten path from "the herd" is becoming more important as more and more folks are fleeing the confinement of Covid. National Parks and National Forests are seeing record numbers of visitors & campers. This rig will get me those extra few miles into the backcountry where less folks roam about.

The main points that this rig addressed for me included the following:
  • Capable 4x4 drive; decent ground clearance; good approach/departure angles; short wheelbase and overall length and height. I also thought a pop top camper made the most sense for the range of highway driving and off pavement use that I envisioned.
  • Pre-2007 model year diesel emissions.
  • Secure weatherproof outside storage. Truck and camping gear I wanted to store outside the living area of the rig. My personal items and kit I wanted inside the camper. I did not want to have to shift gear and/or gear bins to set up camp or get back on the road.
  • A lockable living space with standing headroom, pressure hot & cold water, refrigeration, a heating system, good natural and forced air ventilation, plentiful LED lighting, a dedicated bed space and decent storage.
  • Solar power augmenting capable dedicated house batteries. No generator or AC - In my opinion simply not sustainable for long term boondocking.
  • Outside the living space hard storage for trash or other stinking gear.
  • Roof access and tie down ability for a kayak or canoe. The RAM has the factory installed Yak tracks and rear steps.
  • An extended or crew cab for carrying gear/passengers and/or my rescue ACD mutt.
  • Ability to carry and store a portable toilet – inside or outside.
  • Provision for a shower with hot water.
In the two weeks I drove and lived in my new RAM set up I found it met all my needs. For solo and/or a couple this size of rig should work very well. The FWC Hawk is delightful to use and easy to set up and take down. Practically a portable motel room.

The RAM has proven to be easy to drive and park in urban areas. It is very comfortable and stable on the highway/interstate at speed. Off pavement it handles well and does not feel “top heavy” or unstable. The overall size also works well in the backcountry. Overhead clearance is 9' and the rig is 20' long. The relatively short wheelbase is great for turning around in tight quarters. The diesel has the stock exhaust and no tuner. Although the Cummins is louder than a typical stock gasoline engine the noise is not objectionable. The performance of the engine is very good...she flows with traffic very well, merges onto high speed western interstates with no problem and at high throttle there is very little visible exhaust. In the mountain areas I was getting 13-14 MPG. Once out of the mountain areas of Colorado I was getting 14.5 to 15.5 MPG if I kept my speed around 65.

Tires on the rig are Nitto 35x12.5 Grappler G2 All Terrains. They were not really tested much for off pavement traction on this trip but they seem to offer a good mix of AT traction and low noise on highway pavement. I'm running 60# front and 65# rear and it feels about right. Firestone air bags provide for suspension adjustment for camper on/off. Shocks are Bilstein.

The RAM3500 as shown with all the aluminum storage boxes, FWC Hawk (as optioned estimated at 1500#), steel Buckstop front bumper & 12K winch, rear steel dual swingouts, & steel wheels) and fully loaded (2 persons, full gear & tools, dog, ice cooler, 36 gallons of water, 30 gallons fuel) scaled at 10,000# with 6K rear/4k front. That is a real world reference point worth consideration for those folks planning a build.

Things I am planning to modify or add:
  • I will be adding a rear view camera system. The RAM mirrors are excellent but I need visibility directly to the rear for “backing in” parking and positioning at campsites.
  • With the high suspension on this truck the Hawk rear assist handle is a reach “up” to grab. The stock handle is poorly designed for this specific application as the space between the handle and the rear wall decreases at the bottom of the handle. If your hand slips down you risk having your fingers being caught at the bottom...especially if your wearing a ring. I'll be checking the McMaster-Carr hardware website soon to address this.
Things that I discovered that were very useful/practical:
  • The outside storage boxes and the fold down lid of the storage boxes. I can't overemphasize the value of having dedicated, weatherproof, secure outside storage available. The transition from "on the road" to "camping" is so easy. Everything has it's place. Outside stuff stays outside. The "drop down doors" are just wonderful. They fold down 90 degrees and are held flat by cables. The lid is then a sturdy worksurface/countertop for cooking, cleaning, or other work. I rarely even set up my portable table as using a storage box lid worked so well.
  • The aluminum storage box on the rear swing out is really great. The box provides secure trash storage OUTSIDE. This box also can carry the portable bucket toilet and can nest with my grey water bucket when on the road.
  • The RAM rear seat folding platform is great. My other pickups over the past few years had foldable rear seats...but none were as practical and useful as this RAM set up with a large fold out flat steel platform. Use it all or one side of the 60/40 split. Perfect for a dog bed and/or ice chest.
  • Exterior LED lighting. The Hawk LED exterior lighting is great. Being able to illuminate the camper area makes it easy to set up, cook or do other chores at night without having to bother with a flashlight or headlamp.
In closing I also wanted to mention that this entire trip had a huge aspect where I had to rely on a fellow member of the EP community. To travel across most of the country to do a two way vehicle transaction requires a bit of faith, but also honesty, coordination and communication. Adam (previous RAM owner) was outstanding in this regard and to have such an undertaking go so smoothly and pleasantly is a credit to him and perhaps just as important an example of how good people working together can get good things done.

I hope this was an entertaining thread and I thank you all for coming along. Safe travels!

Last edited:

zgfiredude

First, I love the Wonderlodge! I have always wanted one but have never had the opportunity. I bet she was a joy.
Cool story and sweet pup! And a great adventure. You did a great job of seeing some of the area's less frequented spots. Being a western Colorado resident, I get to enjoy all of this frequently.
Third, you were lucky to see Grand Junction on a damp day.....quite rare really and the Monument is really cool to see under those conditions. One point of order, your "Mountain Goat" is really a Big Horn Sheep. ;)

What a fun adventure and trip back!!!! I'm so glad everything worked out the way it did and you had a smooth trip back, that was alot of miles over the last month. As a vehicle owner I always try and be as transparent as possible but always fear feeling responsible if a rig broke down. I think it's safe to say it's a pretty solid setup and should give you many years of fun. I'm gonna miss the RAM but glad it's getting put to good use!! Look forward to watching you go on many more adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles