Transit on Expo Trails?

b. rock

Been posting sporadically here lately, figured it was due to introduce myself. At the moment I have a 96 FZJ80 up on 37s with 4.88s and ARB lockers and an eTDI swapped 2wd high top Vanagon that I'm looking to condense into a single vehicle (both for sale if anyone's looking). I am leaning hard towards an E-350 as the 4x4 systems would be capable of pushing into the 3-4 range on a trail rating range no problem, there's a strong aftermarket following (including being the only platform with 4x4 kits), and solid axle + body on frame is a proven combo. However, living in CO we have to deal with altitude (saps power from n/a engines), long sustained climbs at highway speed (can spike EGT's on tuned diesels), as well as long stretches of flat nothingness that go by much faster at 80-90 than they do at 70. Having driven a couple econolines while trying to determine which engine package we could live with, and not being impressed with any in our budget range (although I have yet to drive a 7.3 as they are impossibly rare apparently) it dawned on me that the transits get the the 3.5 ecoboost that's in my daily driver (SHO), which has been a great engine for out here. Cost wise, a used Transit with the 3.5 or diesel 3.2 is +/- on par with a decent E-350 + high top (solid high top with 6'+ room is non-negotiable) or a good condition 10' box van. Interestingly enough, a regular length Transit is also about the same exterior dimensions as an E-350 just with a longer wheelbase. However, I really want the ability to run trails like Kokopelli (minus Rose Garden), White Rim, Alpine Loop, the backcountry discovery routes, North Rim of the Grand Cayon, etc., in the van. Anything harder and we'll use a different vehicle. I'm used to wheeling a fairly large vehicle with the 80 and even got it through the Rubicon on worn 35s with 0 body damage, but a 116" wheelbase and a 148" wheelbase are 2 wholly different animals (mind you, that also applies to the 138" wheelbase of the E-series). I've seen pics of Sprinters in some surprising places, and from my understanding, that's only with a 1:1.4 non locking transfer case. Anyone BTDT or have any input? I'm trying to nail down a van in the next month or two so we have it at least quasi-ready for summer. Cheers.

Raul

Adventurer
used Transit with the 3.5 or diesel 3.2 is +/- on par with a decent E-350 + high top
You either find very cheap Transits or very expensive E350s.

Transit is a better vehicle IMO but converting it to 4x4 will not be cheap. I just come back from our ski trip to CO and our 4x4 E350 5.4l did great. As long as you let it rev-up on the mountain passes it did well. 85 mph was no problem, I think theere is a speed limiter on newer van.

b. rock

I was looking at extended vans, 05 and later, ideally v10 and ~100k miles with no rust. Factor in the price of a high top, and you're in striking distance if a transit with similar miles but already high top.

As a reference on 4x4 conversion, quadvan said 13-14k about 3 weeks ago. Not far off of DIY e-series (different end product though).

Theshwed

I have an '02 E350 RB V10 with a Quigley conversion and Agile RIP kit (meaning 6 inches lifted total) on 33s. I've run white rim several times, and most of Kokopelli as well as some other road/trails. I have yet to have to put it into 4wd on a trail. But I also don't try to crawl with it. It has only needed 4wd in deep snow and the snot slick mud in southern Utah after a rain. It is definitely a capable vehicle. It'll also cruise 85mph on the Utah interstates with ease.

I've been contemplating getting something new. So I have been test driving everything I can get a hold of. If I were to buy today it would be a Savana 3500 6 liter with the IFS Quigley conversion and 3 inch lift. It was, I thought, the best compromise between comfort and capability. And you can find them brand new for under $45k if you go with a cargo van.

My assessment:
E350 Quigley: Most off road capable least comfortable on road... Sometimes stressful to drive. Thirsty, 10mpg no matter what.

Transit 3500 Quigley: most highway friendly. Best engine unloaded. If it's like the F150, once camper converted, gas mileage is going to go to ********. Sits low. Will get me 85% of the places I have been, if not more with finesse. Expensive for what it is.

Savana 3500 Quigley IFS with 3 inch lift. 6.0and 6 speed are an awesome drivetrain. The 4wd van didn't have the 8sp trans. But I bet that even better. The 4wd IFS will take me 125%of the places I've been and plan to go.

All of these have been cargo vans with the shorter wheelbases.

MB Sprinter... Can't find one to drive. $$$$$

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
To get a 4x Transit you'll need to go new from Quigley straight from them, not sure if Quadvan is converting pre owned units? My 2wd Transit got stuck on flat ground in wet grass, that was embarrassing.

A 10' E series box truck like we just finished is a great option, a brand new rig will be less $$ than a 4x Sprinter and be far more reliable & capable. Better looking too, my biased opinion :) Tasca Ford in RI has 6 ready for a 4x swap and interior build.

b. rock

Quadvan said they'd do pre owned units for the Transits. 4x4 Sprinter wasn't even an option on my radar. I like german cars, had a bunch (there is always at least 1 in the driveway), but I'm not taking one into the middle of nowhere. Also the price makes it a non starter.

@Theshwed, I too rather like the chevy 6.0 w/ 6 spd trans. What I don't like is the extended 155" wheelbase on the bigger vans. Interesting that you said you have yet to put it into 4x4 on a trail. I get that there was traction available, but low range is half as much for low speed control as it is anything else. Also fair point on the mpg on a loaded ecoboost. I pulled a small 2-3k lb fiberglass camper with a F150 a couple years ago and while the truck was 19-20mpg unloaded, it sucked down to 11 with that tiny little trailer.

I'm in the used market, new van money is about my total budget. I really like the box van idea - square walls, less overhang than an EB. The 5.4 just leaves a lot on the table when we live at 8500'. I had thought I found the perfect van but it had side storage on both sides, which meant no possibility for adding an RV door. The hunt continues. May just end up getting a SRW cab chassis and putting a box on it if the numbers shake out.

I do know these won't be rock crawlers. However, I know myself well enough that if we have any kind of 4x4 capability I'm going to be pushing the limits to see where we can go. I also know that I'm perfectly fine with solid axle vehicles' highway manners, if it means I'm not popping a CV out on a trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles