Transfercase 4Low grind

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I looked on mud and all of the threads are old and most everyone insists its the fan hitting the shroud. Which its not doing. My case when in 4low and in a high torque situation jumps out of low and kind of in-between 2low and 4low and the gears grind real bad like they are not meshing. I replaced the springs in the case and it seemed to work for over a year, now its doing it again. Im going to look at the boots on the shifter and see if they are stiff from age as suggested on mud. Anyone else experience this and if you did what was your fix? This is on an 86 fj60.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Ive had a similar issue noise on two diferent trucks...

One was through worn engine and gearbox mounts, which meant the whole assembly moved and the high low gear linkage fouled on the body causing it to jump out of gear under tension.

The second was an issue in the transfer case its self with a worn selector fork on low range,
the worn fork allowed the gear to twist and move out of the gear under load.

theres no syncro gears on transfer cases hence the grinding when they touch when spinning

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Ive had a similar issue noise on two diferent trucks...

One was through worn engine and gearbox mounts, which meant the whole assembly moved and the high low gear linkage fouled on the body causing it to jump out of gear under tension.

The second was an issue in the transfer case its self with a worn selector fork on low range,
the worn fork allowed the gear to twist and move out of the gear under load.

theres no syncro gears on transfer cases hence the grinding when they touch when spinning

i was messing around with the shifter boots. There is two of them and the inner one was, i think preventing it from fully engaging. I took both of and flexed it out and there was no issue. I then just put the out boot on and did it again and it seemed fine. I might leave it like that for a bit and see how it goes. The inner boot was a gigantic pain to try and put back on.

java

Expedition Leader
Had a similar issue, and it was like above, the shifter was getting pushed back out of gear. Mine was hitting the body.

theside00

Adventurer
If the boot is pushing it out of gear might want to check the detent ball for the shift rail. The spring or ball could be getting worn out allowing it to pop out of gear easier.

Cyberman

Observer
I know you don't want to admit it to yourself but your main problem is very likely to be inside the transfer case. The external factors that could cause it to pop out of gear would be worn engine/transfer mounts, or possibly a worn shifter seat. The shifter boot will enhance the issue, but it is not the cause. If replacing the detent ball and spring worked for a year, it might be a worn shift rail. Best thing to do would be to pull the transfer case and give it an overhaul. Probably not a bad idea on a 28 year old vehicle.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I know you don't want to admit it to yourself but your main problem is very likely to be inside the transfer case. The external factors that could cause it to pop out of gear would be worn engine/transfer mounts, or possibly a worn shifter seat. The shifter boot will enhance the issue, but it is not the cause. If replacing the detent ball and spring worked for a year, it might be a worn shift rail. Best thing to do would be to pull the transfer case and give it an overhaul. Probably not a bad idea on a 28 year old vehicle.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Trying to avoid that :) it's just shy of 300000 miles so it's probably due.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

theside00

Adventurer
If it hasn't been apart in that many miles it might be time to take a peak. While you are in there might as well install the 4:1 crawl gears :sombrero:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If it hasn't been apart in that many miles it might be time to take a peak. While you are in there might as well install the 4:1 crawl gears :sombrero:

They have them for fj60s?

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Pimp :) that with an h55 would be sweet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles