Transamerica and such

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thanks for the info!!!!
Do you post on ADV also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been on ADV for a awhile....should go back. Sounds like you had a great time!

Typical Gilbertos food!CEC5A845-8642-4887-9851-001F9280B6EF.jpeg

Typical Lasalle Pass camping

C8EF16C0-A81B-4AFC-8275-931559892F52.jpeg

Last edited:

Jupiter58

Would be curious to know what you think comparing the TAT on a dirt bike as opposed to a jeep?

I have done it 1-3/4s times on my bikes. It was fun but on the last full one it was over 100 from western Arkansas through the desert in Oregon with a brief weather break in co mountains. Wore me out.
I love off roading on a motorcycle but at this point in my life (64) I don’t think I could handle another 5k mile trip.
I also found that wearing full gear, armor, gloves pants etc I did not get the out in the wild experience. I can’t move as fast in the jeep but I can drive longer days and actually look around instead of worrying which way my front tire is bouncing. I can roll down the windows or even take the front roof panels off. Plus I carry a lot of creature comforts and podcasts and music are much easier to listen to.
Doing it on a bike is a lifetime experience for sure and I am so glad I did it.
60 mpg on my bike vs 16 in my jeep is a ridiculous hit though. I will be over 3k in gas before I get back home.

Dirt Rider

Im 63 and can relate, did the TAT trails all accommodate the jeep, since the TAT was create with bikes in mind was thinking it would be mostly single track?

rustypayne

Im 63 and can relate, did the TAT trails all accommodate the jeep, since the TAT was create with bikes in mind was thinking it would be mostly single track?

Did the TAT with our JKUR in 2018 when we were also 63. I doubt any two TAT runs are exactly alike but we didn't run across anything we couldn't do with the Jeep.

Dougnuts

Thanks for sharing. As you know, I'm leaving to head that way on November 26th, and I need to get one of those candle heaters!

Also wondering if I need to purchase traction boards for my trip. :unsure:

Last edited:

Jupiter58

Thanks for sharing. As you know, I'm leaving to head that way on November 26th, and I need to get one of those candle heaters!

Also wondering if I need to purchase traction boards for my trip. :unsure:

Depends on how adventurous you will be. Traveling solo I would recommend them as you can’t always avoid deep snow or deep mud! Depends where you go!

Jupiter58

As rusty said no two tat trips are alike. You can do almost everything in the jeep. My last run towards the coast in Oregon I was dragging my bike under and around trees and landslides that you couldn’t do in a jeep. I doubt Andy 4 wheels vehicle had been down those roads in years as others on bikes reported the same issues. Not a lot of single track on Sam’s routes. GPS Kevin’s has a lot of single available but he also crosses lots of private land and there have been issues with the land owners.
I can definitely say this time of year there are large sections impossible on a bike due to deep snow and ice! I have had a number of harrowing experiences!

Jupiter58

My next obstacle was white rim road. I almost canceled due to heavy winds and rain but I pushed through it. I did it ccw from mineral bottom road. The mineral switchbacks and hard scrabble hill were tense for me in the rain and mud but I pushed through. Stressful but a once in a lifetime trip! Ran into about 8 bicycles braving the conditions and only 3 other vehicles and those were on my second day on the way out.
Rant here. The NPS has to do something about the campsite reservations. You should need to confirm within 72 hours or more! Every campsite was reserved all week except for airport c which I took. NOBODY was camping and it is a bunch of BS these folks can reserve all these sites!!!
I fully recommend this site with detailed info and mileage in both directions.

I started down mineral bottom switchbacks in the rain and it encapsulated the white rim experience. 3-400 foot drop offs on narrow shelf roads with great vistas and the green river down below.
No pics but harrowing video!
Once down here are some other pics.
10ea9328465e23e2a6cdc72b3e2bf793.jpg

63eb08912aa52f9cca9a4258e81ea8e3.jpg

0eb1fbbf7781a79719a01735c4e13fb5.jpg

7798f2819c805709f7a32faf6d88d966.jpg

tgil

Great write up! I'd love to make this run some day. Do you have more pics of how the inside of your Jeep is set up?
Reservations...I experienced the same here in a Texas State Park over the weekend. Their policy is as long as you show by noon on your second day, you keep your spot. There were great spots that sat empty all weekend, but I wasn't about to tear down camp (we were in a tent) and relocate.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles