Trans-New Hampshire Expedition (Canadian border to sea coast)

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Last weekend I completed a great trip with my local club, Exploring New Hampshire. We ran an overland route that started at the Customs and Border Protection Office at the Canadian Border of New Hampshire. The route ended at the sea coast at the southern border.

My day started early. I was on a business trip and returned on the red eye from California Wednesday night into Thursday morning. I got into Boston at 5:45.

EZXnamMh.jpg

I headed home, took a nap and started packing. I was packed and ready in the late afternoon. I had dinner with the family, then headed over to my friend Rob's house to pick him up. We packed his stuff into the Land Cruiser and hit the road around 7:30pm.

xO2JA7jh.jpg

We drove 4 hours till we were very close to the border and stayed our first night in a little cabin in Pittsburg New Hampshire:

wzeqvaZh.jpg

The next morning, we found fuel, met up with our group (11 rigs from Exploring NH) and started heading south. The route followed logging roads south from the border:

vNLiuYOh.jpg

VM2Dn3nh.jpg

After a few hours of driving, we stopped at a wide spot in the logging road network. There was a small trail head there. We headed down the trail.

rMAEKYmh.jpg

After hiking less than a mile, the trail opened up to a beautiful waterfall:
mzdxhMth.jpg

It had the classic, crystal clear New England river flowing over tannin stained rocks:

ZJHrPudh.jpg

6soaNKkh.jpg

We soaked up the sun for a while and headed back. We had a lot more miles to cover. We traveled many more miles on the logging roads till we hit pavement. We ran across some small towns and enjoyed some covered bridges along the way:
czQj7RZh.jpg

Shortly after that, we parked for some lunch. Our spot was scenic, with a great view of another waterfall.

aCfwvXph.jpg

ulRjvDNh.jpg

Our lunch was Rob's famous "giant sandwich" which consisted of 3 packs of random meats, 1 pack of cheese, 2 bags of potato chips and mustard. It was good.

a8Jt1fGh.jpg

We had to hurry to eat, though. Our next stop was to drive the climb up Mt. Washington, the tallest peak in the Presidential Range.

More to come...

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Later that day, we arrived at Mt. Washington. We'd be driving up the one on the left here. Not a hard drive but very scenic.

ngRlw8Ah.jpg

Anthony's WJ spewed coolant before we even started and I had to catch his shame! (It turned out that someone forgot to tighten their radiator cap!)

9QjE3P2h.jpg

We got our safety briefing and we were off:

z8xYlyzh.jpg

yX2zWGMh.jpg

The road turned to dirt as we climbed above tree line:
cWfLAckh.jpg

f6KhARuh.jpg

I parked the 80 in the corner of the lot at the top... not a bad view!
muMwH9ih.jpg

We looked at the historical buildings. It's amazing to see them still standing as this location is known to have the worst weather in the world!
http://knowbefore.weatherbug.com/2015/01/21/mount-washington-home-worlds-worst-weather/

e7PQuL7h.jpg

The Tip Top house was really cool. It was built out of rocks found at the summit. With the highest recorded winds of 231 mph, it's probably a good design for up there.

0CytddSh.jpg

BvKOKqrh.jpg

Inside the Tip Top House:

TfxshmAh.jpg

Bunks:

5bKiUxDh.jpg

Someone had to hoof this stove up there!

4ffo9y0h.jpg

Squirrel?
h3wG1Yfh.jpg

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
After enjoying the views, it was time to climb down and get to camp.
C0ygkWqh.jpg

XF94uEMh.jpg

On the way, we stopped at Glen Ellis waterfall trail and did another quick hike:
eumfomSh.jpg

s4PMhovh.jpg

The falls were amazing. There sure a lot of waterfalls in New Hampshire!

bTiEY0vh.jpg

XgT2Dxkh.jpg

1mcGxgSh.jpg

We hit a local campground for the night, since the group was so big:
JwRjp7Vh.jpg

Had some dinner:
kf2uPhwh.jpg

And got some rest. Tomorrow we'd hit some more serious trails.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
The next morning, we headed through the White Mountains. We hit some more covered bridges along the route.

WTXwwjoh.jpg

We headed up the Kancamangus Highway and took in some sights:

a3Qox1gh.jpg

Soon, we left pavement and shifted into 4 low.
LZy5KSAh.jpg

The trails were narrow and had some fun obstacles:

OSWKgi5h.jpg

The trails in the White Mountains had dense forest, rock and even mud.

Lo87m4oh.jpg

ZC9KMCDh.jpg

The stockish rigs started hitting their skid plates and sliders

xgyF6dJh.jpg

The rest of us were just having fun in the rocks:

B6JsXi1h.jpg

Here's a short video of me coming down an obstacle:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
We continued up the trail, crossing meadows and some small bridges:

8l9njKnh.jpg

mzdFkTph.jpg

Soon we finished the trail, regrouped and headed to the camp ground for the night:

NtN5xzHh.jpg

6IO77dAh.jpg

After a good night's rest, we awoke and had to break away from the group early. I had to get back to take care of some house stuff, but the rest of the group had another full day of wheeling... this time down near the Merrimack River Valley. (If anyone on this trip has pictures, post them up!)

Even though I had to leave early, I packed up and went home happy.

146H9seh.jpg

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'm glad you guys enjoyed the write up. I tend to not have time to read long stories and look only at the pictures. So, I kept the description to a minimum. (Do you guys do the same or do you prefer a little more detail?)

Like mentioned above, the chains on the building on the top of Mt. Washington are there to keep it from blowing away. Kind of crazy. If you guys have other questions or comments, feel free to post them up! New England doesn't seem to get a lot of air time on the forum, so I thought you viewers might find the scenery a little different/interesting. New Hampshire actually does have a decent number of class 6 roads to wheel. In fact, my wife and I found another one on the way to the grocery store from our cabin last weekend!

nOalqkgh.jpg

mPcI8gjh.jpg

OdcOReHh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94