Trans Labrador Highway and other places of interest 2010

kerry

Expedition Leader
We were in Newfoundland the last couple of weeks of July. I was under the impression dogs stayed in the vehicles on the Port aux Basque ferry. In some places the mosquitoes were bad. Along the coast usually not because they were getting blown inland.

Yup - dogs go to the kennel, people are supposed to go to the gift shop.

NICE WRITEUP!!!!!

Your pics are MUCH BETTER than mine - fantastic. :wings:

We passed each other along the road somewhere!
We started out June 30 and did the loop clockwise. Back home July 17th. I wonder where we crossed paths? We only saw 3 other Americans in Newfoundland and only one in Labrador. The place is mostly empty. Loved it.

I hope your popup seals better than ours did - I spent one night outside Lab City standing over my sleeping son killing black flies and mosquitoes before they could land on him. The poor kid was dripping blood - don't tell my wife ;0)

We;re planning on trying to get back up there next summer - you?

Cheers,
Mark

Every time we got into the camper a swarm of bugs would follow us. When we had killed them all we were good to go for the rest of the night.

The camper did let in a little dust but it was expected after so many miles on a dry dirt road. We saw one guy on a peddle bike on the TLH. He must have black lung disease by now.

Not sure for next year. Probably something a little closer.

Nice trip! Finally had a chance to get the 'ol laptop up and online to view it all. Love the first people in North America to see the sunrise bit. Good stuff. Looks like the rolled semi just happend, the lights were still on! Did you stop? Makes me look forward to getting up there sometime for sure, the other recent Newfoundland/Labrador report also got me salivating.

We didn't stop but there were two police cars there already. We didn't pass any wrecker trucks heading north either. I bet they were there for a long time.

NJeep09

Observer
Nice trip report. Heading up to Gaspe, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Cape Breton Island, Fundy, and Acadia at the end of August. Your report gave us a taste of things to come!

Nice trip report. Heading up to Gaspe, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Cape Breton Island, Fundy, and Acadia at the end of August. Your report gave us a taste of things to come!

We only had time to power drive through some of the places you mentioned. Take lots of pictures.

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
You will have a great time. Do you know what trails you're going to do in Gros Morne?

We spent a week hiking there in 2006 when we did the Trans-Lab, and we covered most of the trails. It was very high water from weeks of rain then, and so we opted not to do the Long Range Traverse that year, although we had planned to. I've wanted to get back ever since.

From the Gros Morne Website:
"The Long Range Traverse is an unmarked route that covers 35km, as the crow flies, and takes an average of four to five days to hike comfortably. The wilderness hiking, wildlife and scenery of this route is unparalleled in eastern Canada."

"The Long Range Mountains in western Newfoundland provide some of the best wilderness hiking experiences in eastern North America. These mountains also form the highland backbone of Gros Morne National Park, as they abruptly rise 800 m from the relatively flat coastal lowlands. The Long Range Mountains are a plateau of massive uplifted blocks of granitic bedrock that were carved by glaciers over 10 000 years ago. Today, hikers can marvel at several glacially carved gorges and observe the many animals that make their home on top of this alpine plateau.

There are two unmarked routes that traverse the Long Range in the park: the Long Range Traverse and the North Rim Traverse. They have been designated so that hikers can experience the wilderness of this remote highland portion of Gros Morne National Park.

These map-and-compass traverses are the ultimate hiking challenges that Gros Morne National Park has to offer. For your expedition on the Long Range Mountains you will be required:

1)to have previous backpacking experience and good navigational skills with a map and compass. (If you are not experienced, you must be accompanied by someone who is.) There are three major obstacles to navigating in the Long Range Mountains: low visibility caused by cloud capping the highlands, many small streams and ponds look similar to one another and can cause confusion, and the dense tangles of spruce and fir which make walking in a straight line difficult and can easily lead hikers off course.

2)to attend a mandatory briefing with a backcountry warden at the Visitor Centre, on the day prior to your trip. This meeting is essential to demonstrate your ability to read a 1:50 000 topography map and use a compass. During this briefing you will also be required to watch the video Hiking in the Long Range to prepare you for your expedition.
Pre-trip orientation is essential. There are no marked trails and you must rely entirely on map and compass navigation to complete these expeditions."

We are due to meet with the warden on 8/12, and will start the trip on Friday, the 13th! Good thing I'm not superstitous.

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
Yeah, can't wait. That iconic Newfoundland Tourism photo is at the top of the climb up from Western Brook Pond
Gros_Morne_1.jpg

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
... takes an average of four to five days to hike comfortably. The wilderness hiking, wildlife and scenery of this route is unparalleled in eastern Canada. ... There are no marked trails and you must rely entirely on map and compass navigation to complete these expeditions. ...

I just added this hike to my list of reasons to visit Newfoundland!

Have a great trip. :)

Cheers,
Graham

NE I don't use the word "awesome" very often but I think it could certainly be used here.

Thanks for sharing this great and inspirational trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior