Traipsing through the brush of northern Ontario

What started as a long-weekend trip 8 years ago has become an annual trip to explore the abandoned mines of northern Ontario. This year, we spent a week checking out sites along Lake Superior's north shore.

IwtlHr3.jpg

HJKkilx.jpg

EmgGGI6.jpg

When we reached this old mine near a ghost town, I sent Archer to check it out on his own, because it had always been frozen over when I had visited it in the past (it's not uncommon to have ice year-round in a lot of these mines). When he came back and told me that all the ice had melted, I reluctantly climbed the steep hill to join him at the adit, but really wasn't expecting much. Boy, was I wrong.

MVeIQnD.jpg

vAjdqSp.jpg

Overlanding off in the middle of nowhere always provides such beautiful sights; even when the weather is terrible.

BF6WsFU.jpg

Although almost everything we explored was underground, we did stop off at one ghost town in the area.

P9E8rCO.jpg

B0WMxzC.jpg

b5Pkl1c.jpg

This last site was our main goal for this trip. We had visited the mine 4 times in the past, but never really found our way underground into the bulk of the workings. This year we finally succeeded, and the scale of the place blew our minds.

vs3FJLw.jpg

QUKrB9h.jpg

12. A stick of dynamite just laying around
OcN9J9R.jpg

eaouPJo.jpg

lHACbpp.jpg

di2XfzU.jpg

6pn6jzj.jpg

17. A flyover of the processing ruins at the site

And finally, a gorgeous sunset over Lake Superior

gm7O9YR.jpg

Forum statistics