"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Over the course of this project, I've gotten lots of input on the types of trailers and campers people would like to build, and from that input I've posted many design concepts that could be built with TrailTop System parts. Some of these designs are built on a Dinoot/Jeep-tub trailer base, while some are built directly on a frame, perhaps an inexpensive Harbor Freight frame. Below are some of the many design concepts shown in the thread over the course of this project.

Now that I've finished my TrailTop proof-of-concept builds, I'd like to ask you for a little more input:

If you're considering building a trailer and/or camper and you had access to TrailTop parts, what type of trailer or camper would you build with those parts? Would it be any of the designs below? A variation on something below? Something competely different? If you wouldn't consider using TrailTop parts, why not?

Your input will help me determine if I should bother licensing the TrailTop system to one or more of the companies that have expressed interest in bringing it to market or if I should just declare this project finished and move on to my next project.

Thank you very much for your input.

TrailTopTypes1_zps45e1fb83.jpg

TrailTopTypes2_zps3b534773.jpg

TrailTopTypes3_zps4a85748d.jpg

TrailTopTypes4_zpsc64d8399.jpg

TrailTopTypes5_zps3e0c7fbe.jpg

PS: I've also shown a number of pickup cap designs based on TrailTop parts but for space reasons I haven't shown them above.

Rockdiver

Loved all the info . Great job. I would buy a kit for the urban camper if they were available. I have had my trailer base done for a year now thinking of what to do for the top . I like the 60/30 front and the ability to take the kit off the trailer to use it as a flat bed still. Keep up the great work.

ikk

Adventurer
number 1 for sure as no matter what I build I would want a locking removable hard top. My next choice would be the chuck wagon.

mdmead

Adventurer
I've always had visions of building my own slide-in camper for my truck and can see these parts being very useful. Beyond that, I've recently been thinking they might work well in building an enclosed snowmobile trailer as well...

sfixx

I read through a half-dozen pages...then skipped to the end hoping that I'd find an Amazon 1-click purchase button! I would purchase the TrailTop® parts to build a number 7 style camper on my homemade frame/Dodge Dakota bed. Fantastic design concept!

Fixxer

labbe66

Observer
I'd build something between 11 and 12. I like the door on the back and I'd add fold down beds to the sides for kids. I'd also use the parts to make a custom sized nose box. I've thought about using them to make a custom box that will fit two bikes and go on a trailer hitch so that the bikes are hidden and protected from road grime.

I read through a half-dozen pages...then skipped to the end hoping that I'd find an Amazon 1-click purchase button! I would purchase the TrailTop® parts to build a number 7 style camper on my homemade frame/Dodge Dakota bed. Fantastic design concept!

Fixxer

Ahhhhh dude you were one page short. Amazon 1-Click purchase button is on page 7.

Here ya go:

amazon_one_click.png

Phoenix

Adventurer
I could see purchasing 1, 2, 9, or 10.

Each for different reasons, each of them appeal to me for how I would use them.

Biggunns

Chuck-wagon but made completely out of TrailTop parts on the HF frame still in the box waiting for this to hit the market!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I have been following this thread since the start. You did a concept drawing for me way back. I'd use these parts if available. But I would first build a steel cage to support all the panels in case of a roll over. There would be some damage sure but it probably would not be trip ending with some duct tape and tarps.

But from all the great ideas presented I'd really like to see a Chalet A-frame style that was truly capable for off road. Small, rugged, room for 35" tires, etc.

DaGoof

I've been following this from the start as well and really like the flexibility. Given the current family size I'd buy parts to build 12 or 13 or maybe even a pop top truck camper for solo weekends away.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles