"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

ober27

Adventurer
I am really enjoying this thread. You are a talented individual, with a great idea. I hope to see these products on the market someday.

ISSY

Love the Commando kits, any plans to fab one up for a JK? Also love the top for the M416 trailers. I'll be keeping an eye on that. I need a top for mine and have no idea which direction to go….

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Love the Commando kits, any plans to fab one up for a JK? Also love the top for the M416 trailers. I'll be keeping an eye on that. I need a top for mine and have no idea which direction to go….

I've got several fiberglass designs for the JK that I plan to build - when I have a JK to work on :).

Stay tuned to my military trailer thread for news about the fiberglass covers for that one, I've got another idea for those I may implement, but I probably won't get to it for a few weeks.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here are a couple of TrailTop teardrop concepts using some of the fenders from the post yesterday:

M416 fenders:

TrailTopTeardrop5_zps2c0c0f01.jpg

M100-style round fenders. These are 13" wide, so they'd cover at least 32" tires:

TrailTopTeardrop4_zpsd80432a4.jpg

With fenders to match my Retro Wrangler pickup (they're similar to what the trailer guys call "Jeep style" fenders):

TrailTopTeardrop2_zpsafa55d9d.jpg

30's/40's fiberglass hot rod fenders. These are my favorite.

TrailTopTeardrop1_zps4c835c3f.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Only thing missing is a side entry door!

Carl,
With the spare on this side, the side door is of course on the other side :).

I've been doing some design and research on side and rear door options that would work well with the various TrailTop configurations, I'll have some info on doors to post soon.

Jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In the early 1950's, a small teardrop style camper called the Benroy was on the market:

BenroyAd_zps5776f97d.jpg

A few photos of restored Benroy trailers:

BenroyPhoto3_zpsbea4645c.jpg

That's Ben in the photo (you get one guess as to what his business partner's name was :)).

Here's a Benroy plan view I found on the 'net:

BenroyPlan_zpsa001986c.jpg

Below, I've overlaid a TrailTop on that plan. It's on a Harbor Freight 4x8 frame. The door is a ready-to-install item I found on eBay, so it's different from the original Benroy door. And yes, that's Ben himself. I hope he'd approve :).

TrailTopBenroy1_zps79c4c594.jpg

And the original photo I removed Ben from.

BenroyPhoto_zpse5e8017c.jpg

One of the points of this post is that there are plans available that one could nicely and easily implement with TrailTop parts. Plans are available for the Benroy, for example, that show details for the rear panty area, and those plans could be used in a TrailTop-based "Benroy" with only minor modifications.

Or, exiting plans could be modified for different uses... next is one a version I've made a bit taller for better headroom and raised the ground clearance a bit from the original low-slung Benroy and given it 31" tires to give it better overlanding/off-road capability.

BenroyTrailTop2_zpsebaeb2ad.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's one additional TrailTop piece I think I'll make a mold for - a roof skin for the 12" curve.

It's not too hard to DIY-build one out of wood, it's just some framing and a layer of 1/8" bendable plywood glued to the framing followed by a second layer glued to the first to result in 1/4" thickness, but I'm thinking some DIY-ers might want a ready-to-use curved panel instead of having to do it themselves. I could make a fiberglass panel that would just bolt/bond in place on the 12"-curve side rails.

What do you guys think? Is it worth having a fiberglass piece for this or should this be DIY-built from wood?

FrontRoofCurve_zps31ebd467.jpg

Here's another view showing how it would assemble. The curved panel bonds/bolts to the TrailTop 12" radius side rails. The curved panel includes recessed flanges for attaching the adjacent roof panel and end panel.

FrontRoofCurve2_zps908a15fd.jpg

I suppose this also brings up the question of the rear hatch. A single layer of 1/4" plywood can easily curve around the 36" radius for the rear hatch, and since the hatch is fairly large, it would probably end up being the most expensive TrailTop part in terms of selling price and shipping cost, so I'm thinking I'll leave that to be DIY-built out of wood. Does this make sense to you guys?

rjinga

Observer
I'll take the ready-to-use 12" curve if the price is right. I'm looking forward to seeing all the pieces in production.

bonomonster

Adventurer
I like where you are going with this.... If you go with a 12" curve front and back, it leaves nice easy flat panels to deal with. I'm hoping this product goes to production and is affordable. Here's my plan if these parts become available and affordable....

This would make my dream trailer much easier to build. My son is wheelchair bound, and we like to off road. We are planning a build that will serve as a home base when we go off roading or just camping, is sturdy enough for light trails, has plenty of room to haul luggage when going on family trips, and has easy access for my son's wheel chair.
The plan is to start with a 5x8 or 5x10 landscape trailer with fold down ramp. The trailer will be jacked up to fit 285/70/17 tires with matching FJ wheels. On top of the platform we will build a 5'6" tall box using 12" curved parts (if available) in both the front and rear. The metal rails of the trailer will serve as some side wall support and protection going through trails. The side walls will incorporate a couple of nice size windows. The rear will have a 3'x5' door. The spare will be mounted to the ramp, when the ramp is folded down it will make a nice walk up into the trailer and the tire will hang below. We may even add a RTT for extra sleeping.

I'm also planning a chuck box kitchen on wheels that will roll on 8" rubber wheels and store inside the trailer.

Now I wish I had the skills to show it in one of these cool computer generated programs you guys use.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like where you are going with this.... If you go with a 12" curve front and back, it leaves nice easy flat panels to deal with. I'm hoping this product goes to production and is affordable. Here's my plan if these parts become available and affordable.... This would make my dream trailer much easier to build...
Yes, using those parts all of the user-supplied panels would be flat and easy to do.

The plan is to start with a 5x8 or 5x10 landscape trailer with fold down ramp. The trailer will be jacked up to fit 285/70/17 tires with matching FJ wheels. On top of the platform we will build a 5'6" tall box using 12" curved parts (if available) in both the front and rear. The metal rails of the trailer will serve as some side wall support and protection going through trails. The side walls will incorporate a couple of nice size windows. The rear will have a 3'x5' door. The spare will be mounted to the ramp, when the ramp is folded down it will make a nice walk up into the trailer and the tire will hang below. We may even add a RTT for extra sleeping.

I'm also planning a chuck box kitchen on wheels that will roll on 8" rubber wheels and store inside the trailer.

Now I wish I had the skills to show it in one of these cool computer generated programs you guys use.
I was going to do a quick sketch for you but there's a dimensional problem in your description - if the TrailTop is 5 1/2' tall and you use 12" corners in the back, that only leaves 4 1/2' for your 5' door. Should the door be 4 1/2', or should the TrailTop be taller? Or, I'd recommend using the 90-degree 3.5" radius parts there, then you'd have plenty of height for the door. This one is drawn that wa:

Landscape2_zps14f8a470.jpg

I wasn't going to draw the chuck wagon, I don't know what you're planning for that to look like :).

bonomonster

Adventurer
Thanks for the sketch, and for catching the dimensional issue... That is exactly where I'm headed, except it won't be removable.... I agree with you, the 3.5" looks better on the back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles