Trailside air: compressor or CO2 can?

kanger

Observer
Everyone has made good points. I personally run a CO2 tank. I kind of wish I went with a compressor because the tank takes up a lot of space and it's heavy. That being said, I like that I don't have to worry about it breaking or not working. With a tank, you also have the option of using nitrogen, which I'll do next time I need a refill. Nitrogen "leaks" less than CO2 does.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
haha....I dont even know what I meant now that I re read it...but I did just learn numerous ways to fill a tire so thank you! haha.

I think eventually I will go with a compressor.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
CO2 is good for some a compressor for others. For each there are pros and cons. If you don't have the need for a compressor and you rarely air down/up CO2 is a good option. If you're a frequent air down kind of driver who does long trips to austere locations and have other uses for compressed air a heavy duty OBA system is a necessity, IMHO. and if you're going to go big get the extreme air Magnum.

No. 3

I use a Viair 24v compressor- I do have a 12v house battery system but having the option to go 24v I took it for power and durability. I would recommend a compressor as it is always available and a single investment. I just idle the truck to fill tires and ultimately may use the tube steel bumper I built for a storage tank. That way tank will be full when I need it. CO2, I dunno, Long trips in Baja CA have me airing down & up all the time as I pass on and off roads. I'd run out of CO2 pretty quick. Check out Viair- the thing is built like a tank & I have it mounted in the back of the truck near the house battery out of the way and always there. Even have used it to fill people's tires in the city.

http://www.viaircorp.com/

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I run the viair 450P.
It turns on as needed, so it does not run constantly and it is rather quiet when it runs.
it is compact and stores easily on one of the two drawers I got.
It is fast enough to fill up my 35's with no problems....
I dont use the CO2 bottle as it is bulky and I am never in a rush when airing my wheels up to hwy use.

86tuning

Adventurer
I run an engine driven OBA compressor bolted to the side of the head on a bracket. Once you've used a system like this you might get spoiled and never use anything else.

Essentially 100% duty cycle with enough capacity to run air tools.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391451976.941456.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke