Trailscape's Trailer Build

trailscape

Explorer
I guess it's time to update this thread. This has been kind of an ongoing project since purchase in 2013. The build itself never had a plan or goal in mind, but was to be more of a "learn as I go".
I wasn't sure I actually wanted a trailer, so purchasing a more expensive and fancy overland style one didn't seem to make sense. Also, I've found I often need a simple trailer for various projects.

I came across this back in May of 2013. It's a 4x8 single axle with a 2990 GVWR and 400lb curb weight. Spring under axle, 15" tires. Priced at $650.

It's rather stout using square tubing all around.
IMG_20130506_150425-XL.jpg

I'd need to enclose the sides, install some kind of lid or cover.. I may even go to extremes and put a slide in camper on it if possible or attempt to build my own.

As of June 2018. The trailer has seen a number of configurations, some much uglier than others.. It's been a good learning experience.
I never had any intention of using this with a tent, so the lid configuration was more of convenience. The dual lids continued while nearly everything else changed.

Both lids are easily removed to keep the trailer multi-purposed. I added racks for those Home Depot runs.
Trailer 06-2018-1.jpgTrailer 06-2018-2.jpgTrailer 06-2018-3.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice trailer at a good price.
spring over the axle and gain some height.
Build a camper to fit in it or get a pop up from a truck.

trailscape

Explorer
Spring over will be a bit more challenging.. It's a 3500# axle but has a camber to it so flipping is out. The tires are actually 15". Gotta think this one over a bit as I'd also like to match the wheels to my tow vehicle.

I was looking on metalsdepot.com for some diamond plate. Thinking of skinning the sides in 1/16" polished aluminum. About $130 shipped for the materials. I could go 1/8" for twice that.

Feeling the inspiration from another build thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/31361-Another-camping-gear-utility-off-road-trailer

trailscape

Explorer
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

There's a ton of good ideas out there and I'm still trying to hammer out a solid plan.
I think it might just have to happen as I go. First thing I did was enclose the sides as I really don't want all my gear falling out..

Here it is loaded up with most of what I'd likely bring along for a week or more. Most of this was normally stored in the back of the truck which I have set up with a cozy sleeping platform.
IMG_20130510_165229B.jpg
Gotta say, it's a whole lot easier to access stuff from the trailer as well as load and unload.

The big issue here which might be obvious is security... How might I go about securing this stuff? Here's a canvas I ordered for a temporary cover. Seems like pretty hefty canvas. I have it held down mostly using turnbuckles.
I have a couple gas lift supports on order for a box lid, a 5lb propane tank and a bracket from AT.

IMG_20130515_134309.jpg

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
Well, I've been on the road for two weeks now and covered 3k miles with the trailer. No issues thus far at all and it's been quite handy to have.

IMG_20130610_111141-L.jpg

SAM_0180-M.jpg

IMGP1632_PEF-L.jpg

Last edited:
one suggestions on the spring over swap. i had bought a 5x8 from tractor supply with a 2k# axle that i swapped the springs froms under to over. i took the axle out, bought 2 new spring perches from tsc for the 2k# axle, used a square off the existing spring perches to get them where i wanted and then welded them on. i had about 2 hours in it and $15 for the perches. i know they had #3500 spring perches for about $20. just a suggestion if you can weld. wasn't that difficult at all.

trailscape

Explorer
The trailer lids are improved as needed which usually involves removing wood and adding aluminum. The lids themselves are still wood though and have been a challenge to maintain over the years.

I tested this sealant out on some plywood over the winter and summer months to see how it holds up. It works well, is weatherproof, durable and fairly puncture resistant. It can also be sanded and painted.

I'll be coating the entire outside surface of the lids with this.
Sealant.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
I’m still working on this occasionally. It just doesn’t see a whole lot of use.

Currently trying to find some new tires but not sure if I should stay with an ST tire or move to an LT. it had P205/75/15 tires when I got it. I swapped in proper trailer tires shortly after one disintegrated.

The tag reads 2995lbs gvwr and specifies “205/75R15 LRB-P” (load range B?) at 36psi. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94