Trailscape's 06 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
Thanks. It looked good plain, but I was bored one afternoon and it was a fun project. That aluminum can manage a decent shine if you want it to with some high grit wet sanding and a good polish.

I'm trying to decide how I want to paint the roof rack now. I imagine black bedliner spray would probably work best and be the easiest route, but I could also color match it or even keep it a raw finish.

Oh I like that. It came out really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
Thanks. It looked good plain, but I was bored one afternoon and it was a fun project. That aluminum can manage a decent shine if you want it to with some high grit wet sanding and a good polish.

I'm trying to decide how I want to paint the roof rack now. I imagine black bedliner spray would probably work best and be the easiest route, but I could also color match it or even keep it a raw finish.

I'm partial to black personally. Simple and utilitarian.

How did you go about modding your grille? I've always been interested in doing a mesh grille like that, but haven't come across too many write ups about it.

trailscape

Explorer
I think this video is the best how-to I've seen done.

I think most have reused pieces to fill the holes after the cut. I didn't use the the stuff he used in the video, but I might try that next time.

I'm partial to black personally. Simple and utilitarian.

How did you go about modding your grille? I've always been interested in doing a mesh grille like that, but haven't come across too many write ups about it.

Kpack

Adventurer
Thanks, that's a great video. Doesn't look too difficult either. I might try my hand at this soon....

toyotech

Expedition Leader

STEEL IT comes in black now if you don’t want to powdercoat

trailscape

Explorer
I'll check around for some coating estimates. After how many times I've had to respray the grille mesh, I'm not sure how well aerosol would hold up on the rack.

Have you had one powdercoated? I'd be interested in a ballpark figure. Think one or two cans of Steel It would be enough?

STEEL IT comes in black now if you don’t want to powdercoat

trailscape

Explorer
Starting another cleanup, upgrade of my auxiliary wiring. This panel allows me to disconnect the rear battery from the engine or to disable battery power entirely. The solar has a disconnect higher up.
I also reinstalled the solar panel on my roof as I realized a new layout allows another 100w panel on the other side of the vent fan by a fortunate 3/16ths margin.

IMG_0075B.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
I've been slacking here a bit, so here's a couple updates. I got the roof rack installed. I haven't settled on lighting, but I like this arrangement for the moment. I removed the NMO mount and installed a marine wire gland to route wires. Seemed the easiest method as I never got around to using the NMO for anything.

Also picked up a Rough Country switch control. I actually mounted it in the storage area under the rear seat.
The case and switch panel are built like a tank, but I'm not a fan of the actual switches as I can't see an easy way to label or identify each one.

Other things in the works.

• Installed a double cab/sequoia dome light panel. I don't really recommend that option as I had to really modify it to fit, but it's in now.
  • Picked up a Rostra Rearsight LCD monitor/camera kit to replace my rearview mirror. Also found a nice camera I mounted on the passenger side of the rack for additional coverage when needed.
  • New lower ball joints installed not two and half years later. All oem this time..

Still a lot left to to do getting it ready for the summer.

trailscape

Explorer
I have a tolerate/hate relationship with the fender flares..

They were originally white, but were so pitted I sanded them down and coated them with bedliner spray and black paint. I've had to redo them every year or so as the paint tends to fade.
I'm preparing to paint them again, this time I'm going to use some Spraymax 2k clearcoat.

It's how bulky they are that bugs me most. Without them, my tires sit about flush with the body and gives it a clean look. I almost want to attempt to trim them down a couple inches.

Photos comparing present to last summer. You can also see how I relocated the solar panel.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Roof rack looks sweet! Opens up to so much more storage now. Love my roof lights as well.

I like what you did with the grill. It’s really clean all white with the bug guard. Never seen anyone color match them.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Will probably have to use small labels for the switch panel or color each switch a different color and remember what each color means lol

trailscape

Explorer
Thanks. I have a pile of lights and I'm trying to settle on what to use for the rack. Might try two 10" bars with a 6" spot in the middle.

I removed the bug guard for a long time as I didn't like the look anymore. I almost tossed it before trying the paint. Now, it's grown on me.

Roof rack looks sweet! Opens up to so much more storage now. Love my roof lights as well.

I like what you did with the grill. It’s really clean all white with the bug guard. Never seen anyone color match them.

trailscape

Explorer
Yeah.. I need to figure out something better with those. I may just pull the harness from it and wire it to the rocker panel I was using in the overhead console.
I should have gone with the version that used standard rocker switches, but this was a deal at the time.

I saw some toggle switch bezels on ebay that can be custom printed. Might also give that a shot.

Will probably have to use small labels for the switch panel or color each switch a different color and remember what each color means lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles