Trailscape's 06 Tundra

rickashay

Explorer
There is a company out there that builds racing racks and supposedly has an upgraded rack for the Tundras. I think they even used to sell their racks to Safari Ltd. when they were in business.

trailscape

Explorer
There is a company out there that builds racing racks and supposedly has an upgraded rack for the Tundras. I think they even used to sell their racks to Safari Ltd. when they were in business.

Yeah, I thought Safari had used the AAE rack. Whether or not it was simply a stock rack with marketing hype seemed to be the big question.

trailscape

Explorer
Did you ever install the retrofit headlights?

Not yet. They were more of a project to see how I like the look, but I don't have any lenses for them without taking apart my in use oem set. Also trying to decide if I want to go with a newer style projector and bulb.

trailscape

Explorer
Finally got around to installing my HID lights.

They look quite dark, even with the reflector painted white..
20160907_160515.jpg20160907_155533.jpg

The side markers looked out of place, so I attempted a bit of a faded paint scheme using the taillight shading everyone's into lately.
That took some trial and error which I had an extra light for, but a quick wipe with some acetone also takes it off.
Layering didn't work well, despite what seems to the recommended method.

I went with a 500 grit initial wet sanding followed by a cleaning with alcohol then one good layer of paint in a circle around the amber reflector applying lighter in the middle and heavier on the edge.
I followed up with a light wet sand using the worn 500 grit; clean with mineral spirits and a machine buffing. Lastly, I put on a coat of clear.

Pretty satisfied with the light output thus far, though I've been tweaking them for a while.
20160907_155501.jpg

Last edited:

pirates712

Looks good! Nice to see someone make a good compromise between looks and functional turn signals. Looking forward to some more pictures!

trailscape

Explorer
Got my steering rack replaced Tuesday. I went with Napa as I was able to grab it for 300. Decided to have it installed, so another 300 bucks.. Got an alignment and all seems good again. Steering feels a whole lot tighter.

seanpistol

Explorer
I recently went with a NAPA rack as well. Reman is always a good way to go when OEM works so well. I cussed at mine for about 5 hours, $300 is worth it to get it put in.

trailscape

Explorer
I recently went with a NAPA rack as well. Reman is always a good way to go when OEM works so well. I cussed at mine for about 5 hours, $300 is worth it to get it put in.

Yeah. I figured I'd probably get a couple hours into it and wish I'd just spent the money. The NAPA lifetime warranty seemed to make it worthwhile on the reman rack.

trailscape

Explorer
Found a couple electrical quirks since installing the Blue Sea selenoid to manage charging between the engine and aux battery. The wiper fluid heater activates at 13 volts, so when my truck is off and the sun is shining you can hear hot water churning under the hood. The Philips DRL lights also activate with charging voltage and I noticed while sitting in the garage that they were flickering on and off constantly.

Now that it's cooling down outside, the aux battery is charging fully and the solar charge is being passed to the starter battery. Looks like I need to wire in some ignition relays.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
That's odd about the lights. Heard guys with LED have this problem without any solar chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
Yeah, it's been a bit of an annoyance. I had originally wired them straight into the end of the disconnected DRL plug without any trouble. When I put in the HID's for some reason that caused the headlights to remain on. Maybe due to the use of one headlight plug. I don't really know. But, now that I wire up the DRL light the way Philips instructs, I run into this charging issue. I switched the power lead today to run through an ignition relay. Seems to work, except I'm having the same issue now with the ignition on. Kind of annoying if I'm hanging out in the truck with flashing DRL lights. I didn't really think the voltage would be high enough.

Still screwing around with it. I also need to find a good 60 amp relay for the washer fluid heater.

That's odd about the lights. Heard guys with LED have this problem without any solar chargers.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Without seeing how it's wired up. It's hard for me to follow lol.

I used 100amp relay via Amazon for my compressor. I seen 80amp ones too. I would use a higher amp than what you need just incase the initial draw is higher

Are you not worry about cracked windshield with warm washer fluid?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94