Trailscape's 06 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
I really like the airline track I am using from US cargo control iirc.

Sean

Thanks. I'll keep that one in mind. Also considering how an an oem toyota rail system might fit.

I really like that setup you have with the spare tire and ammo cans.

smokeysevin

Observer
Thanks. I'll keep that one in mind. Also considering how an an oem toyota rail system might fit.

I really like that setup you have with the spare tire and ammo cans.
Thanks, it works well for 90% of things but I found out while prepping for an upcoming trip that I can no longer sleep in the bed of the truck even with the tailgate down anymore. At least I found out before the trip and not on it.

The rails are slightly taller than the surrounding humps but only ~1/8-1/4" ish.

I sized the spare spot to allow for a 35" tire to fit with some wiggle room. It was specifically setup to still be able to move plywood around even in prerunner mode.

Sean

trailscape

Explorer
How are these trucks overall? I am looking at 05-06 models wanting to know what to look for etc.
Thanks

I may be a bit biased, but I've owned one for a good while now and I've been very happy with it. Reliability is great, even better if they are properly maintained. There's plenty of info out there on what to look for in a used one, but the usual items of concern are lower ball joints, steering rack and timing belt. I'd also throw in checking the cv axles, steering rack bushings, and check that the climate controls all work properly as they can sometimes bind up and become a bit of a pain.

trailscape

Explorer
Been looking at bed covers, but man they are expensive. I was thinking of getting one of those retractable ones and putting a rack on.

Anyway, came across a deal on eBay for a trifold. Makes a low profile rack a bit more challenging, but I'll figure it out later.

Also ordered up some custom decals to replace the emblems. Photos soon.

trailscape

Explorer
Anyone have some thoughts on this hidden winch mount? I love the idea, but I'm not sure about the execution.

smokeysevin

Observer
Anyone have some thoughts on this hidden winch mount? I love the idea, but I'm not sure about the execution.

Not sure I would go less than 1/4" on the plate. I ran some really basic FEA on the factory frame and cross bars and found you really should beef up the mounts/frame attachment if you think you are going to be using the full capacity of a 10-12k winch. The factory frame is pretty thin, only ~0.120" iirc.

Will you likely ever use all that? No, but imo it should be sized so the winch is the weakest link not the frame/mounts.

Sean

trailscape

Explorer
Not sure I would go less than 1/4" on the plate. I ran some really basic FEA on the factory frame and cross bars and found you really should beef up the mounts/frame attachment if you think you are going to be using the full capacity of a 10-12k winch. The factory frame is pretty thin, only ~0.120" iirc.

Will you likely ever use all that? No, but imo it should be sized so the winch is the weakest link not the frame/mounts.

Sean

Yeah, that's a tough call. That might end up a fair bit of weight for something I may never actually use.

trailscape

Explorer
Home brew tailgate handle camera. I didn't have a key for the lock and I used a handle that I got for 5 bucks on amazon. Tapered the handle a bit for look/space.

The camera itself provides a pretty wide view. I'll try and get a shot of it later. I'm thinking of adding one of those pop-lock electric locks.
3B6EABD6-2F68-4038-B144-08DB0B49A099.jpeg

trailscape

Explorer
So, I got my bakflip cover today. This thing's pretty nice, but I'm having a possible issue where the bedsides may have been pushed inward some over the years.

It's more noticeable on the driver side and the replacement tailgate also rubs when closed. It's just really damn hard to close the bed cover at the tailgate.

It likely had a past life as a work truck in Texas.. The bed has a fair amount of waves in the floor and at the cab is pretty banged up.

I'm contemplating attempting to spread it a hair with a Hi-Lift.

smokeysevin

Observer
Seems like it should work, take the tail lights out when you do it, its easy to crack the tabs on them. It might be worth checking the squareness before doing it and trying to do one side at a time by jacking at an angle from the bottom corner to the top edge rather than spreading it.

The sheet metal is pretty flimsy, the middle of my bed rails are both slightly bowed down. I tried jacking them back straight before but they just end up bowing back down when you take the pressure off.

Sean

trailscape

Explorer
Seems like it should work, take the tail lights out when you do it, its easy to crack the tabs on them. It might be worth checking the squareness before doing it and trying to do one side at a time by jacking at an angle from the bottom corner to the top edge rather than spreading it.

The sheet metal is pretty flimsy, the middle of my bed rails are both slightly bowed down. I tried jacking them back straight before but they just end up bowing back down when you take the pressure off.

Sean

It works, but same issue where it was right back where it was when I removed the jack. I didn't want to get too crazy with it as there's still some other options.

I can slim the plastic bedrail a bit or even file the bed cover rail down a tad if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94