Trailscape's 06 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Well keep me in mind if that's going to happen. Mine has dents pounded out, bondo, and i've painted it three times. It looks trashy up close.

trailscape

Explorer
Well keep me in mind if that's going to happen. Mine has dents pounded out, bondo, and i've painted it three times. It looks trashy up close.

Sure thing. I'll probably put one up on Craigslist, but maybe we could meet up in Moab or there about some time convenient when it warms up a bit.

trailscape

Explorer
Zodi shower mod..

I had this idea in mind for a bit.. I wondered what the actual differences were between the Zodi tent heater and shower were. Both appear to use the same burner.

So, I disassembled the shower..
IMG_20161120_154744.jpg

And installed a heat exchanger of sorts.
IMG_20161222_150407.jpg

Initial testing.. I'm not sure the exchanger is the most efficient design, but it does produce heat.
I used 4" dryer ducting connected to a bilge fan. I have duct mounting flanges that will be added later should this test out.

For safety testing, I could see why they may have discontinued this model, but I think there are several ways of adding safety measures.

The brazing on the outlet had to be redone after safety testing (turning the fan off) as the heat climbed over the melting point. I replaced it with Firebrick cement.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice. I been wanting to make a force air type heater. Hard to find cheap but I should have brought this small rv furnace on CL for $50 to play with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
Yeah, I've been wanting to get something like that to warm up the topper. I'd been thinking about going with a propex unit for a while. I did this mostly for use with a tent.

Nice. I been wanting to make a force air type heater. Hard to find cheap but I should have brought this small rv furnace on CL for $50 to play with.

trailscape

Explorer
Not much new happening here. Just trying to iron out the little stuff these days.

I have one annoyance that I'm trying to fix concerning the OBD port. I have a "low profile" adapter to connect the Scan Gauge, but I find my foot still tends to catch it when coming off the gas pedal. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? Maybe the port itself can be relocated higher up under the dash with a pass through adapter added.

AaronK

Explorer
Not much new happening here. Just trying to iron out the little stuff these days.

I have one annoyance that I'm trying to fix concerning the OBD port. I have a "low profile" adapter to connect the Scan Gauge, but I find my foot still tends to catch it when coming off the gas pedal. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? Maybe the port itself can be relocated higher up under the dash with a pass through adapter added.
The port unclips from the bracket pretty easily. I did that and zip tied it with the interface attached out of the way

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

trailscape

Explorer
Doing some rewiring and cleanup lately. I'm using circuit breakers everywhere now. Pricey, but I love these things.

Here's the rear fuse/solar charging panel. the breakers also act as quick disconnects from the battery and for the solar panel making it easy to quickly isolate the panel from power sources during maintenance. Also added a propane/carbon monoxide detector just to the right. I put it on a switch as it's only really needed when I'm carrying or using propane.
IMG_0320(2).jpg

Just finishing this one up.. I had components between the engine compartment and in the center console but as I added accessories it was getting complicated. There are five relays mounted underneath and wired to the fuse box. It's all ignition switched through a solenoid. That bus bar will be traded with a barrier strip to connect devices when I finish swapping parts out. It runs to a rocker switch panel mounted in the cab. Kind of a budget spod. Two circuit breakers installed. One is for the battery cable that connects to a Blue Sea Charging Relay that runs to the back of the truck for secondary battery, the other is installed between the fuse box and solenoid. I cut the panel itself from a heavy aluminum mixing board found at Harbor Freight.

IMG_0337(1).jpg

trailscape

Explorer
Looks good!

You should probably think about changing that brake fluid though...

I think the photo makes it look a bit worse, but I recently did nearly all the fluids and they told me the brake fluid tested excellent and didn't need changing. The rear diff though, that was nasty looking...

trailscape

Explorer
Next up I really want to reseal the topper and see about modifying the solid front window to allow airflow between the cab.

I'd also really like to remove the clamps and bolt it through the bed rails. Looking at it, there are holes where the rail trim snaps into that's got me wondering if I could use.

Has anyone bolted a topper down on their Tundra using the rails or have any photos available?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Next up I really want to reseal the topper and see about modifying the solid front window to allow airflow between the cab.

I'd also really like to remove the clamps and bolt it through the bed rails. Looking at it, there are holes where the rail trim snaps into that's got me wondering if I could use.

Has anyone bolted a topper down on their Tundra using the rails or have any photos available?

I really wanna replace the topper front window with one that can open too. Mainly if I ever needed to go from bed to cab. Yes I'm skinny enough to make the climb lol.

I bolted mine down. Well since my shell isn't as wide as the bed rails. I bolted two 2x4 next to the bed rails than bolted the topper to the 2x4 using old head bolts cuz they needed to be long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier