Trails in Germany?

BCobe

Adventurer
Any one know of any good off road trails located in or around Germany, preferably near the Kaiserslautern area but I do not mind driving a ways. I know they have little off road areas but have not seen anything regarding trails which has been disappointing.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
You will pretty much have to go to an off road park to do any "wheeling". Google "Off Road park Germany" and you will get some good hits.

example: http://www.offroadpark-knuellwald.de/index.php

Some of them are fairly extensive....built on old military bases and training areas. One of my favourites: https://www.furstenforest.eu/

If you know some folks (i know a few in the Friedberg area), you can sometimes get permission to drive around the old training areas. Friedberg Training area is one I go to often. Just be aware that they are officially closed to the public and going up there without permission can be expensive. (fines)

Now if you are looking to travel a bit, I can highly recommend heading out to some of the nearby East European nations (Hungry, Poland, The Czech Republic). Lots of unregulated trails there.

If you are looking for a trip with more purpose and off roading, then I can recommend the old military roads in the Western Alps.....unforgettable.

Last edited:

BCobe

Adventurer
The Fursten Forest looks interesting. Any info on that Western Alps trip? Traveling through Switzerland made me really want to wheel around there but here they can be pretty strict to.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Well, there are tours you sign up with. :-( I usually go it alone. For the most part, if you don't make a campfire, you can camp just about anywhere up there. Providing, of course, there is a spot....gets kind of steep. ;-). The roads are challenging in and of themselves....everything from pavement, gravels, and plain old dirt! lots and lots of hill climbing and steep decent.

If you want, I have some fairly interesting routes from my previous trips. They hit most of the highlights and several of the old, built by hand, forts. Some of them (routes, not forts!) cross the French/Italian boarder multiple times (nothing but a painted rock to mark them)

BCobe

Adventurer
Well, there are tours you sign up with. :-( I usually go it alone. For the most part, if you don't make a campfire, you can camp just about anywhere up there. Providing, of course, there is a spot....gets kind of steep. ;-). The roads are challenging in and of themselves....everything from pavement, gravels, and plain old dirt! lots and lots of hill climbing and steep decent.

If you want, I have some fairly interesting routes from my previous trips. They hit most of the highlights and several of the old, built by hand, forts. Some of them (routes, not forts!) cross the French/Italian boarder multiple times (nothing but a painted rock to mark them)

Would you say that the trail is comparable to Black Bear Pass in CO?

For some nice trails, have a look on this site: http://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/germany.html

Shows heaps for basically any country you can imagine.

Thanks! Going to take a gander at this tonight.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Well, I have never been to Black Bear, so really couldn't say. Don't misunderstand though...its not "trail", it's "Trails". You could spend a couple of months up there and still not see all of it. ...and that is just the Western Alps......

Hunter67

Observer
If you´re looking for trails on gravel roads, just cross the french border, then you´ll be in trail-heaven.

For having fun beside the road on a sunday, the best adress nearby Kaiserslautern would be the "Freies Fahren"-Event in Eisenberg, organized by http://www.kurpaelzer.de/

Concerning the Western-Alps: There are many, many tracks described in books and online too - but most of them presumably in german, italian or french
as most travellers will be located in the corresponding countries.

Markus

BCobe

Adventurer
Well, I have never been to Black Bear, so really couldn't say. Don't misunderstand though...its not "trail", it's "Trails". You could spend a couple of months up there and still not see all of it. ...and that is just the Western Alps......

I will have to research this out. This sounds pretty interesting.

If you´re looking for trails on gravel roads, just cross the french border, then you´ll be in trail-heaven.

For having fun beside the road on a sunday, the best adress nearby Kaiserslautern would be the "Freies Fahren"-Event in Eisenberg, organized by http://www.kurpaelzer.de/

Concerning the Western-Alps: There are many, many tracks described in books and online too - but most of them presumably in german, italian or french
as most travellers will be located in the corresponding countries.

Markus

Are there any GPS Coordinates to trail heads or are they a hidden gems?

Even it´s a thread about building up his Jeep, "Stumpy" was located in K-Town too and described some nice trips he made with his Jeep starting from there.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...taco-s-has-gone-over-to-the-darkside-XJ-style

Markus

Definitely will give this a look!

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I can give you the routes I have driven....in English!

Bottom line is that Europe is overlanding heaven.....just not so great for the rock crawling wheeling crowd.

BCobe

Adventurer
That would be awesome! Honestly that is what I am looking for. I do have dreams of Moab and the Rubicon but I am love going out exploring and camping. I used to live in CA and the best times were going to Nevada and finding old mining towns.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I don't know how long you are going to be over here, but in the near future we are going to make a run up through Scandinavia (mostly Sweden and Norway)...one of the things on my bucket list. Since we didn't get to do Morocco this year it is kind of our plan B. Maybe you would be interested in joining us?

:)

BCobe

Adventurer
I don't know how long you are going to be over here, but in the near future we are going to make a run up through Scandinavia (mostly Sweden and Norway)...one of the things on my bucket list. Since we didn't get to do Morocco this year it is kind of our plan B. Maybe you would be interested in joining us?

:)

I will be here for another 2 years. Depending on what all happens I would be down. Saw a post on the Atlantic Road and thought it would be awesome to visit and Norway is another place I would like to go. Thing that sucks is my schedule and needing to put time off in. As well as the possibility of "work trips". I do not know if you will start a thread around the time you are going but I will definitely keep my ear to the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles