TRAILHAWK WJ

josh_sx4

Observer
TRAILHAWK is a Jeep trim level on many models that stands for the best trail rated version of that model from the manufacturer. It isn’t necessarily the most luxurious, or in many cases even the most expensive, but it is the most capable of the various trim selections. The special trim also includes many trim level exclusives like tow hooks, special wheels, all-terrain tires, and a trail rated 4X4 drivetrain. While the Trailhawk badge did not exist in 2004, we thought it might be cool to see what a WJ might look like "TRAILHAWK" Style.

Introducing our candidate for the WJ Trailhawk, a 2004 Limited Grand Cherokee with Stock Upcountry Suspension, Varilock F/R Axles and Skidplates. The goal of this vehicle is to have a near-to-stock (but highly capable) 4x4 with 4lo to get us to our favorite camping, fishing and paragliding spots. Utilize the power of the 4.7 engine for towing a trailer with ATV or kayaks, all while trying to maintain low COG and decent fuel mileage. As a montage to the last year the Grand Cherokee had a solid front axle, lets see if we can help this WJ earn the Trailhawk badge...here we go!

IMG_0646.jpg

Last edited:

Outdoorsben

Observer
The WJ's are awesome vehicles. I'd argue that the WJ is already a better off-roader than the Trailhawk because it's got a live front axle. I miss my 04 WJ. I do have a question for you though. The 04's didn't have an option for Up-Country from the factory, were the springs put in after.

Either way it's a great platform that's often overlooked, you'll really enjoy it. Same bolt pattern as the JK's so if you wanted other wheels any JK take off will work.

josh_sx4

Observer
The WJ's are awesome vehicles. I'd argue that the WJ is already a better off-roader than the Trailhawk because it's got a live front axle. I miss my 04 WJ. I do have a question for you though. The 04's didn't have an option for Up-Country from the factory, were the springs put in after.

Either way it's a great platform that's often overlooked, you'll really enjoy it. Same bolt pattern as the JK's so if you wanted other wheels any JK take off will work.

Hi Outdoorsben, after reading your comment, I was curious and went to check the equipment list for my VIN and found "Up Country Suspension Group" listed under OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT. (See Below)

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 11.00.53 AM.png

As far as some upgraded wheels... I'll be looking our for a set of JK Rubicons!

Last edited:

josh_sx4

Observer
Boring Maintenance Post

I decided to separate out some of the boring stuff like maintenance items. There are a ton of things I will be doing as maintenance that don't really contribute to the goal of this thread, (which is to bring this WJ up to a par with the TRAILHAWK badge). So here are a bunch of maintenance items that have been performed, but I won't be detailing so much in this thread.

Maintenance List:
  • Air Filter & Oil Change
  • Rear Window Glass Lift supports, Tailgate lift support
  • Axle Gear oil & Limited Slip Additive
  • Transfer case output shaft seal
  • New PCV Valve
  • 2x CV Axle Shafts
  • Oil pan gasket & oil pump o-ring
  • Transmission seal, filter, and 7quarts of ATF+4
  • CFS Radiator, Cap, Water Pump, and Stant Thermostat 14369
  • Rear control arm & Ball joint
  • Tensioner Pulley AC-Delco 15-20673
  • Serpentine belt CRP PK060875
  • 4x Moog HD Tie rod ends
  • 4x Spicer Ball Joints
  • 2x front wheel bearings
  • Valve Cover Gaskets
  • New Spark Plugs
  • Lifetime Alignment

Last edited:

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 1

First thing to do is get this WJ Leveled out. Having a few miles, it seems the front sits are about an inch lower than back.

To help level it out, I installed the Rough Country Front .75in spacer. Took me about 30min to do. No spring compressors were needed.
IMG_0648.jpg

Next I welded in some new spring perches from IRONROCK offroad which gave me that last .25in. Now both fenders are the same height from the ground. Barely noticeable to the eye, but was exactly what I needed for the tape - measurements to add up.
ef74cefb-b84b-49f1-96c5-78780a94aee2-original.jpg

Before
IMG_0646.jpg

After
IMG_0647.jpg

Off to a slow start, but making progress day by day. I know its not a big difference, but I am planning to fit 265/65R17 on a upcountry suspension... so trying to make it sit true is important for clearances later on (No doubt...there will be trimming down the road).

Last edited:

xwazmtb

Lost and Found at the same time.
The Wj is an amazing platform to start out with! Extremely capable in stock form! I start with a 02 limited 4.7 with quadradrive. My build eventually spiraled out of control and turned into long arms, lockers, 4.56 gears, and a whole lot more. But a basic build will take you everywhere you ever wanna go with some good driving techniques. Props on the new build!
d887a657604e25c2a170c7639212fa7e.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1549694955091.jpeg
    FB_IMG_1549694955091.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 2

Time to upgrade the braking with some Powerstop Akebono brake calipers, drilled and slotted rotors with z36 brake pads. I'm not a huge fan of the red calipers, but hey, I guess the Trailhawk trim has the occasional red accent to it.

Brakes perform well and slotted rotors will be a nice upgrade for the steep trails I go down and the occasional trailer towing.

Brakes.jpg

Last edited:

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 3

Been keeping my eye out for some rubicon rims and came across these the other day with less than 200miles on them. I really like the looks of these rims and they will be a nice upgrade from the delaminating chrome ones I had on there. While I was at it, I decided to replace the TPMS sensors with 5x Dorman 974-002 sensors and mount a set of 265/65R17 Duratracs. Retraining the sensors with a magnet was easy and the Jeep picked them no problem.

NewWheels.png

The 265/65R17 Duratracs are a 31 in tire... which is kinda big for 1in lift (Upcountry Suspension).. so front bumper modification will be happening soon.

Last edited:

Outdoorsben

Observer
Nice choice on wheels I did the same thing. How is your rear upper arm doing?? Any clunking. Next time you are in there give a look it’s a common issue and if you are doing maintenance in the rear might be some good preventative maintenance.

josh_sx4

Observer
Nice choice on wheels I did the same thing. How is your rear upper arm doing?? Any clunking. Next time you are in there give a look it’s a common issue and if you are doing maintenance in the rear might be some good preventative maintenance.

Thanks, I love these wheels. Good thinking on the rear ball joint! I already fixed it. :)
I fixed a lot of maintenance things in my post on Feb 8 ^

Last edited:

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 5

Washer bottle relocation. So a common modification for many WJ owners (with lifts) is to move the washer bottle out of the wheel well so it doesn't get snagged on while flexing the bigger tires. So the other day I grabbed a washer bottle from a 1998 Grand Cherokee and found a spot under the hood. Now I will have more room for my larger tires while to flexing.

IMG_1002.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier