Trailer wheel studs

PHXtaco

Adventurer
I am in the process of converting my camp trailer to run stock Toyota rims so both trailer & truck run the same wheel & tire. I switched over to the Dexter K08-250-91 Hub, but it has 1/2"-20 Wheel Studs. I could just get SAE lug nuts to work with the Toyota rims, but I would rather replace the studs to match the Toyota metric 12mm X 1.5 wheel studs. I went to a local suspension shop that does both cars & trailers and they told me you cannot get trailer studs in metric. I did a quick search on-line and did not find any metric studs that look like direct replacements for the Dexter studs (I think they are K71-295-00 1/2"-20 Wheel Studs) Before I give up and buy SAE lug nuts that will work, I thought I would tap into the vast knowledgebase here at Expo and see if anyone has researched this and found metric studs that will work for my application.

Thanks!

Craig

greentruck

Adventurer
I went through this recently. I had some 1997 FZJ80 16x8 stock alloy rims to go on the trailer. For some reason, I figured if it was a Toy pattern, it would have Toy studs. Wrong!:violent-smiley-031:

Fortunately, I did find the proper acorn and washer type nuts in 1/2-20 that snugged up good. I think I ended up running an extra washer so that the closed end nut wouldn't bottom out, IIRC, but it works.

Whatever route you go, match the lug nuts properly to the wheel being used. Any other way is unsafe., even if it seems to tighten, if the bearing surface on the wheel doesn't match the nut that tightening on it.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Are the wheels lug centric or hub centric?

If they are lug centric then it's what Mike said....if it's hub centric then you'll have to use Spidertrax or something similar to convert it over.

Then your stock lugnuts will work.

Pat

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Dorman makes an extensive line of lug studs. You can search thru them online at their page. Look up the existing stud and then try to find one that has the same shoulder features and dimensions with the thread that you want. My local Real auto parts store (a CarQuest) stock some of these and can order any of them.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Before doing anything else, why don't you just call Dexter? I'll bet they will be able to give you the Dorman number for exactly the studs you need.
-

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Find a machine shop that will press out the 1/2 studs and press in the new metric studs.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Find a machine shop that will press out the 1/2 studs and press in the new metric studs.

I wish the problem was simply finding a place to do the work-- but the problem is finding the stud. So far the places I have been to say they can't get a stud that works-- I think it is a combination of 1) They don't want to take the time to find a stud that will work and 2) They don't want to take on the liability of replacing the stud with something other than what came from the manufacture.

Before doing anything else, why don't you just call Dexter?

Good idea. I give 2 thumbs up for Dexter Customer support :victory: They said that Dexter does not offer metric studs on the size of hub I have. The only place one might be able to get a hub with metric studs is an Australian company that is a Dexter distributer. Dexter also sent me a pdf of the CAD drawings for the 5 studs they use. If the Australian company does not have a stud, I will then contact Dorman with the CAD drawings and see if they can help.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Unfortunately the knurl diameter of the Toyota stud, 14.20mm, is different than the Dexter stud, which is .62" or 15.748mm.

gaberelli

Observer
Unfortunately the knurl diameter of the Toyota stud, 14.20mm, is different than the Dexter stud, which is .62" or 15.748mm.

Look at he beginning of my thread. I went through this. I did press in new metric studs for Toyota aluminum hub-centric rims but ended up putting Toyota steelies on instead. The problem is that trailer hubs have no hub ring and need to be lug centric. The only way to make it work right is to use Spidertrax as they bolt on the hub as lug centric but are then hub centric to the wheel. I still have a pair but I liked the way the black steel wheels looked better. I kept the spidertrax to bolt on the trailer in case i need to use my 4Runner's aluminum spare.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/390952-gaberellis-m101-cdn-build-thread.html

Last edited:

dallen341

Observer

One could have a machine shop drill the pattern for the 14.2mm knurl diameter offset from the current 6 bolt pattern of 15.748mm. Cheap? Probably not, but an option.

Don

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Well, I know some of you mentioned this earlier, but I was mistakenly informed from a post (on another forum) that the style of stock rims I had were lug-centric. It had been a while since I looked at my stock rims, I have been running aftermarket rims for the last 5 years, so I pulled the stock rims out of the side yard and sure enough they are hub-centric.

So that settles it, I will have to go the Spidertrax route if I want to run the stock rim.

PLUS, since I had pulled the Toyota rim out, I went ahead and swapped out one hub on the trailer and bolted the rim up… and the tire rubs on the suspension!!! Guess I am going to HAVE to spacer anyway.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

jwiereng

Look at he beginning of my thread. I went through this. I did press in new metric studs for Toyota aluminum hub-centric rims but ended up putting Toyota steelies on instead. The problem is that trailer hubs have no hub ring and need to be lug centric. The only way to make it work right is to use Spidertrax as they bolt on the hub as lug centric but are then hub centric to the wheel. I still have a pair but I liked the way the black steel wheels looked better. I kept the spidertrax to bolt on the trailer in case i need to use my 4Runner's aluminum spare.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/390952-gaberellis-m101-cdn-build-thread.html

Seems like the stud you used would be too small as noted by phxtaco.

Maybe you have a different trailer hub.

Dorman : 610-376 knurl diameter is 0.544 Inch.

jwiereng

How does AT trailers have tow vehicle matched wheels? Do you use a spacer adapter? Or do you press in metric studs?

If metric ones are pressed in, is it possible to purchase from AT?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz