Trailer towing with a manual tranny?

chasespeed

Explorer
Wow, I have NEVER heard anyone say if you're going tow, you need an auto.... If I had, I would have stared at them like they had 2 heads....

Stick, all the way...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Saiyan66

Adventurer
The 4.0L V6/6spd manual Nissan platform is a good one, however it does suffer from chronic clutch slippage issues. I was looking into these at one time and found alot of people having problems with that. It seems as if Nissan upped the output of the motor and never bothered to upgrade the clutch. Look into that if you plan on towing with one. Oh and don't expect killer fuel mileage either. Other than that they are a great truck.

ogre

ive never had any problems pulling with an auto. i have been pulling a 3 car wedge trailer 53' for over 10 years now. i use a 1 ton ford with 7.3L powerstroke the truck my company has me in now has 150,000 miles on original trans. the 3 trucks before this one all ran to 250,000-300,000 miles all on factory trans. i live in central utah and any road i take out of where i live i have to run up hill. never a problem and i do not push the OD button i let the trans do the work and never lost one yet. the trucks are registered for 32,000 LBS. and i frequently haul loads that push me towards that number.
i will pull with an auto any day.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It's a manual

Dropped this off in Denver last summer, only lost about 2 mpg towing it, manual allows engine braking and using whichever gear you wish.. Although both of my Jeeps are auto and are great on the trail, if I were towing regularly anything heavy it would be with a manual. My dad tows trailers daily for his landscaping business and has never even replaced a clutch in any of his trucks.

Attachments

• DSCN4452.jpg
    DSCN4452.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN4453.jpg
    DSCN4453.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 2

toyota_jon

Adventurer
First off I HATE auto's with a passion. So that's my bias. I have a taco with the slushbox, and really wish I would have gone with the ex cab just to get the manual. last year I towed my 4Runner with my Taco from WA to CO. I made sure to get a Scangauge to keep an eye on the tranny temps. What it boiled down to was for any long or steep grade we had to disconnect, drive the 4Runner to the top, and then reconnect. It was a hassle but we did make it. If I had to tow on a regular basis the Taco would be sold in order to get a standard.

Pikeman also summed it up as well, the vast majority of commercial trucks are standards. Probably something to that.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
370,000 miles+ on my 5 speed manual AX-15 in my Comanche...and there's a few trailer miles in that ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94