Trailer tongue weight distribution

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I don't know how on earth a person would pull up a Horsebox fully loaded at 100mph, That speed with that weight in an emergency, That speed with that weight is an accident waiting to happen,
Yeah I thought the same thing while giving him lots of space. But apparently its a thing. He even was on his cellphone ?. I was passed going the other way by three semis they weren’t doing 100 but they still passed me at a good clip and I was between 80-85. Forget the sedans and Autobahn sheesh.
This yrs trip we were farther south 2900 mile trip yep passed by a few doing 100. I felt sorry for the Jeep guy on 35’s sweating 65mph getting passed by Semi trucks doing 80. Lol

dreadlocks

Never been to Wyoming I see? I mean in their defence.. what emergency? you can put a blindfold on drive off the road, do a few dougnuts and feel your way back to the road and if your unlucky the most you'll encounter is a fence post from the 1800's.. at any point in time the population of people driving through the state on i80 is probably bigger than the local population.

but yeah, he's a ********.. I sit all day at 70mph on 80mph interstates and get passed all day long by 16 wheelers and farm trucks doing 85-90 in tow.. If I go any slower everyone going by gives me the finger, thats why my westfallia lives in a barn until I'm ready to give that old 75 some decent power.. aint no fun getting doors blown off at WOT on a 2 lane highway by a pissed off 80 ton vehicle.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I don't know how on earth a person would pull up a Horsebox fully loaded at 100mph

Easy. Just push down on the skinny pedal over on the right.

Personally, I just cruise at what the speed limit is. Freeway around me is 70mph. I have no problem maintaining that and my trailer is solid behind me. In some states there is a split speed limit for vehicles towing with or without a trailer (CA for example, 70mph without a trailer, 55 with). In that case I'll just go with whatever the majority of truckers are doing. There is a valid argument that speed increases the amount of risk. There's an equally valid argument that speed differential between vehicles also increases the amount of risk. The solution that has worked well for me is to do my best to avoid routes through heavily trafficked areas and pick times where there won't be as many road users.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I always try to keep 3 to 5 mph under the speed limit just in case my Speedo is out.

I thought the US Speed limit was 55, How long have Semi's been allowed to do 80 to 100 mph, Get caught doing 100mph here and you will loose your licence for 6 or 12 months. The maximum is 70 mph for cars etc and 60 for Semi's.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I always try to keep 3 to 5 mph under the speed limit just in case my Speedo is out.

I thought the US Speed limit was 55, How long have Semi's been allowed to do 80 to 100 mph, Get caught doing 100mph here and you will loose your licence for 6 or 12 months. The maximum is 70 mph for cars etc and 60 for Semi's.

We only have 50 states that choose to do whatever speed limits they like. When cowboys can run their stock at 100mph you find Cowboy states with 80mph posted limits or no posted limits. If you throw a tire and send your stock into the next time zone you might get a chewing out from gramps.

Louisd75

Adventurer

Speed limit varies from state to state. Most seem to be up around 70. I think it was Nevada where they didn't have a separate limit for semis and cars. I remember getting my doors blown off by a semi towing three trailers (also legal in Nevada) and I was cruising at the speed limit of 70mph. The speed limit on that stretch of road has since been increased to 80mph.

IIRC, Texas has the highest speed limit on one of their highways at 85mph and it's the same for semis and cars.

Here's more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States

I prefer back roads personally :)

dreadlocks

here nobody does a few mph under incase speedo is off, they tack on +5mph to the posted limit because they hardly enforce it until your >10 over.. so 75's become 80, 80's become 85, and 85's become 90 and the law wont even blink.. i dont think they give out speeding tickets here in Colorado unless you race a state trooper and he loses.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
We only have 50 states that choose to do whatever speed limits they like. When cowboys can run their stock at 100mph you find Cowboy states with 80mph posted limits or no posted limits. If you throw a tire and send your stock into the next time zone you might get a chewing out from gramps.
Right, No wonder they are scootin on down the road.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Here they would BBQ ya Butt driving a Semi at those speeds, On a 3 Lane Highway/Motorway they are not allowed in the fast lane and can only use the middle lane if they are overtaking a Vehicle in the slow lane and once they have passed it they must get back in the slow lane them selves.

It might seem like I am a bit OTT with this Towing thing but they have made it Impossible to get every thing to match up,

Last edited:
i dont have anything to offer that hasnt already been said on the tongue weight discussion.
but when im towing i usually just find a semi and scoot in behind them if im on a highway/interstate. gladly take a small mpg increase from a semi draft, and who cuts off a guy just to get right behind a semi? i cruise on backroads, so you wont usually see me above 45mph.

i can totally understand wanting to drive 100mph through SD, its so long and boring... but its not economical for me to do so...

Reactions: plh

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes Jeeps in the US have silly Towing Capacities where as in the UK and Australia the can Tow over 7700Lbs

Either way the EU and UK BS is just unworkable
So out on the Aussie roads do the Blue Heelers just smile and wave as you go past fully loaded at 140kmh?

In the US market the entitlement to do so needs to be taken into account.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
So out on the Aussie roads do the Blue Heelers just smile and wave as you go past fully loaded at 140kmh?

In the US market the entitlement to do so needs to be taken into account.
Not really Their main issue is if you have lifted the vehicle too much or running Tyres that are too big, They will set up places on the highways and pull up folks measuring their vehicles height etc, Which from a common sense point of view is stupid because it is the unroadworthy vehicles they should be worrying about because anyone who spend money of their truck will make sure they have top of the line gear fitted to it and making sure it is Road worthy,

Once off the main highways you never really see them because you can drive out there and never see another person in a week.

billiebob

I got tagged in Wyoming for doing 78mph in a 75 zone with this.
In Canada they don't even look at you inless you are 10 or more over.

The USA is crazy on speeding. I drive to Spokane often, everyone does 60mph, a passing lane comes up.... everyone is like sheep. NO one pulls out to pass.

2000# trailer, maybe 150# tongue weight.
DSC_0072.jpeg
No ladders tho.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Not really Their main issue is if you have lifted the vehicle too much or running Tyres that are too big, They will set up places on the highways and pull up folks measuring their vehicles height etc, Which from a common sense point of view is stupid because it is the unroadworthy vehicles they should be worrying about because anyone who spend money of their truck will make sure they have top of the line gear fitted to it and making sure it is Road worthy,

Once off the main highways you never really see them because you can drive out there and never see another person in a week.
All irrelevant to my point.

I was explaining to you the differences in legal ratings.

Nothing to do with those sorts of practical realities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior