Trailer theft security

Garand

I have one of those locks, seems pretty solid so far. The only issue I have with it is my trailer (intech flyer pursue) is built in such a way that I can't lock the safety chains in it like it is designed to do... I think if I down size chains I'll be in business though.

Video showing how to secure the safety chains

ITTOG

I just started getting serious about this. I have a removable hitch and I have an aux hitch in the back. I just bought locking hitch pins for both so some cannot just go add their own. I also bought a J Lock for the wheels:
J-Lock%20-%20Large.jpg
That is cool. Also protects your wheels.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bshinn

I have one of those locks, seems pretty solid so far. The only issue I have with it is my trailer (intech flyer pursue) is built in such a way that I can't lock the safety chains in it like it is designed to do... I think if I down size chains I'll be in business though.

View attachment 521164

That lock looks impressive, but with the setup you have, any ************** with a ratchet and 3/4" wrench can defeat it in about 2 min. You might want to consider tacking the nuts to the bolts or at least drilling and pinning them with cotter pins. Not foolproof I know but just might slow someone down enough for them to move on to easier pickings.

Reactions: WVI

Garand

That lock looks impressive, but with the setup you have, any ************** with a ratchet and 3/4" wrench can defeat it in about 2 min. You might want to consider tacking the nuts to the bolts or at least drilling and pinning them with cotter pins. Not foolproof I know but just might slow someone down enough for them to move on to easier pickings.
I'm aware of that issue/design flaw with that style hitch and will have it remedied when I can get the trailer by my buddies fab shop.

But the lock itself seems to be pretty solid, I think it is worth the investment.

dreadlocks

my tongue hitch is attached to the jack (triangle hitch not beam), would not be so easy to just unbolt the hitch.. and that also presumes they brought another one to bolt back on right?

You can tack weld em sure, but be careful they are like grade 10 bolts and welding em could ******** with their hardness.

jwiereng

Looks like grade 8 bolts.

A small tack on the end of the bolt would make removal by wrenching significantly more difficult. It would not significantly effect to tensile properties of the relevant portion of the bolt.

Exactly the ************** is more likely to move on to an easier target. Theft in most cases is a crime of immediate opportunity, thugs usually don’t carry a spare coupler nor do they want to take the time required. I just ordered the Proven 2187 for my Intech Flyer Pursue we are do to take delivery mid July. Plan to upload pics of all security measures taken to my insurance company. FWIW...

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
What I'm using . Of course someone could come in with a flatbed and winch it up but this should protect against the casual thief.

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_135109343_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190630_135109343_HDR.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20190630_135716996_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190630_135716996_HDR.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: plh

billiebob

If someone wants it it is gone. We recovered a stolen equipment trailer last month. The thieves wrapped the safety chains around their bumper. The RCMP pulled them over 300 miles later for not having trailer lights. I just put a padlock thru the safety pin and the chains. and hope. and keep it insured.

Best theft deterent......... make it look like ********. The Plano box with instant hot water, the Batwing Awning, the RTT, the 35s on alloys, the Solar Panels exposed Meters, Controllers, IT Plug Ins, Satellite Dish, Kevlar Kayaks, $2000 Mountin Bikes.... all say "Steal Me" !!!!!

I used to book bands into bars. Some had pretty fancy trucks emblazoned with the band name on the sides. Thats like a billboard saying, steal me, some bands have over $100K in sound and light equipment. One band had an old MrChristies Cookie delivery van. No one ever touched it.

Last edited:

View attachment 521164

Just ordered and received mine. It’s a very heavy duty coupler lock for sure!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’ve ran a chain through the wheels and through the leaf springs, not too hard.

I had to pickup a boat for my mom once but forgot the key for the coupler lock two hours away. I wanted to just break the lock off and the best option I had on me was a flat tip screwdriver. That lock almost exploded the second I put the screwdriver to it. It was crazy.0AE1D6B1-05EB-4B6A-8F10-443D10387C9D.png

JoshN

Observer
Removable coupler and a chain through the wheel. Hard to tow without a hitch and cutting a chain makes noise. Thieves don't want to linger or draw attention.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior