Trailer theft security

dreadlocks

I lock down everything on my trailer now, I got bitten hard a decade or so ago when I parked my rig all hooked up in my driveway overnight.. I was going to the PNW for 3 weeks of longboarding and camping at 6am the next day, planned it for a very long time and trained until I was at my peak.. woke up to leave the next morning and all 3 of my boards were gone and a good portion of my camping gear, I spent the next 3 weeks camping out of wallmart camping gear pissed off at humanity, did zero skating.. then that following season was just a series of injuries trying to master new boards, followed by a case of persistent vertigo that basically nixed that hobby entirely.. had to give up a bunch of goals there that got snatched by thiefs.

now my house and tow vehicle is covered in cameras, my trailers are laden with locks, chains and all the security I can afford.. people can be the worst.

alia176

Explorer
I like the idea of the tire claw or whatever it's called but wouldn't this crowd need two ? We all carry spares so the bad guys will have plenty of time to change over to the spare and take off. Just curious!

I have a TREG receiver and keep the vehicle end of the system either inside the rear cargo drawer or still attached to the receiver so it'd be hard to fashion up a makeshift deal to connect with the TREG polyblock that stays on the trailer. The Kamparoo stays in the basecamp for majority part of the day, typically, while we go exploring so I always hope for the best. I typically camp off the beaten path so the thieves have plenty of time to come up with solutions. Granted, not much is worth stealing from the camper itself but sure would be inconvenient. Another reason why I wouldn't leave a fridge in the tongue box or wherever on/in the trailer..

I also use a game security camera aimed at my camp, if there's a way to hide it.

billiebob

No matter what you do if a guy wants it it will be gone.
I've seen trailers stolen with just the safety chains wrapped around the bumper.
A guy with a $2K car hauler can load anything, even a trailer without tires in minutes.

Best anti theft device, make it look like a cheap trailer. When all the goodies are exposed you advertising "Steal Me"
Best investment if it gets stolen.... A GPS tracking device.
An alarm never hurts. Sirens and flashing lights.... until a gust of wind sets them off.

alia176

Explorer
Amazon has trailer or any asset GPS tracking device that are self contained, including its own battery. These might be an option with the annual subscription.

geanes

Best anti theft device, make it look like a cheap trailer. When all the goodies are exposed you advertising "Steal Me"

This is more true than you can imagine. Even though it's golf related, it's a similar concept. I own a very valuable Scotty Cameron putter. Instead of putting the fancy Scotty Cameron cover on it, I put on a cheap Wilson cover. No one ever knows there is a $1500 putter under that cover. I've known plenty of golfers who've had their cheap putters stolen because the decided to put on a Scotty Cameron cover to look "fancy". I put cheap MacGregor covers on all my woods as well. Makes them FAR less likely to be walked off with.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
It seems that the more populous the area the more precautions are needed. Urban areas require cameras, chains, signs and all manner of anti-theft precautions because thieves are well equipped and very mobile.

In the backcountry you may not need quite so much hardware. I am more concerned with someone who cruises by my campsite and grabs a loose highlift jack, Scepter gas can or a solar panel. Items easily concealable in the back of their rig as they drive away. Even so, my belief is that the further into the wilderness I am the less likely that thieves will be roaming anywhere near me.

geanes

wow, how does a stick cost $1500!? does it swing its self?

It is ridiculous for sure. It's a super rare, first generation TEi3 long-neck that was gifted to me back in '97. If you think that's expensive, you should see what else is out there in the golf industry i.e. $5k iron sets. Seen guys with bags that cost WAY more than some of the trailers we pull ($2k putter, $5k irons, $1k wedges, $1.5k bag, $2k in woods and a crap load of balls and other expensive gadgets).

I just started getting serious about this. I have a removable hitch and I have an aux hitch in the back. I just bought locking hitch pins for both so some cannot just go add their own. I also bought a J Lock for the wheels:
J-Lock%20-%20Large.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
It is ridiculous for sure. It's a super rare, first generation TEi3 long-neck that was gifted to me back in '97. If you think that's expensive, you should see what else is out there in the golf industry i.e. $5k iron sets. Seen guys with bags that cost WAY more than some of the trailers we pull ($2k putter, $5k irons, $1k wedges, $1.5k bag, $2k in woods and a crap load of balls and other expensive gadgets).

Boys and their toys. I'm not into golf, but I get it. It is a good thing my wife doesn't know what I've paid for some of my Jeep/trailer/camping/gun stuff. And that's why I get paranoid sometimes about my stuff getting stolen. And having to spend the night in a hotel when towing my trailer behind my TJ (or my 46 Willys behind my truck) is the worst - almost makes me want to sleep in the Jeep or truck just to provide security. (actually I have slept in the back of the truck for that same reason before with two dogs and a... "noisemaker").

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Amazon has trailer or any asset GPS tracking device that are self contained, including its own battery. These might be an option with the annual subscription.

I'm very intrigued by these small, app based, tracker systems. I recently had a friend show me his system and I love it. He travels the world over 300 days a year and has to check some very high end gear. Each case has mini trackers in them and he can pull up their location on a global google map based app. So, when the airline says they don't know where his luggage is, he simply shows them the app.....very cool. I like the idea as it applies to trailer theft, because if LE can't Recover your trailer in a few hours its most likely gone for good.

alia176

Explorer
I'm very intrigued by these small, app based, tracker systems. I recently had a friend show me his system and I love it. He travels the world over 300 days a year and has to check some very high end gear. Each case has mini trackers in them and he can pull up their location on a global google map based app. So, when the airline says they don't know where his luggage is, he simply shows them the app.....very cool. I like the idea as it applies to trailer theft, because if LE can't Recover your trailer in a few hours its most likely gone for good.

Removed by Admin - let's keep it clean please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior