Trailer stuff at SEMA

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm at the SEMA show in Las Vegas this week so I'll show you a few things I found interesting. Here's a custom-built off-road camp trailer, there may be some ideas here someone could use.

Things to see in the first photo:

- Roof top tent and awning mounted to the overhead rack

- "Fenders" are more like work surfaces, they run the entire length of the trailer.

- Receivers are mounted to each corner of the frame, they've got d-ring shackles installed in them at the moment, presumably for recovery purposes, but the could be used for a bunch of different things.

- There's a rear receiver as well, and a winch is mounted in it, although it looks like you probably couldn't make too much use of the tailgate when the winch is in the receiver.

- Daystar cam-cans mounted on the front side of the rack

SEMATrailer1-1_zps71d8812b.jpg

This next photo shows a partial inside view, check out how the front of the rack is sloped, and solid.

SEMATrailer1-2_zps7eb07a1f.jpg

Here's why it's sloped and solid, it serves as a place to mount a spare, and an air tank is mounted there. Notice also a small propane tank on the tongue.

SEMATrailer1-3_zps2d86fbed.jpg

There are a few more trailers with interesting ideas at the show, I'll get some photos posted, stay tuned.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's another trailer that has some ideas maybe people could use. This one appears to be an ex-military M101. It's got a mostly flat cover, which flips up and has canvas sides to form a tent.

It has a "kitchen counter" that appears to be removable. A good-sized sink is in the countertop. Towards the front there's also a lower platform for a stove.

SEMATrailer2-1_zps5740a367.jpg

Here's a closer view of the sink and the connections underneath. When the kitchen counter/sink is removed, the water feed lines would be disconnected; the connections are housed in a military ammo can, along with what seems to be one of those expandable hoses you may have seen in recent TV commercials.

SEMATrailer2-2_zps7b1de626.jpg

Here's a view from underneath. You can see the detail of the ammo can/water connection housing a little better in this shot, and you can also see the dual under-frame water tanks. I'm not rwally sure where the water pump is, it was hard enough to get under there to get this shot.

SEMATrailer2-3_zpsce2876c3.jpg

There's an external hose connection on the outside of the trailer tub:

SEMATrailer2-4_zpsc3053706.jpg

An inside view:

SEMATrailer2-5_zps56b31224.jpg

A front view; sorry about the glare. There's a solar panel on the cover.

SEMATrailer2-6_zps12cf69c8.jpg

More trailer stuff from SEMA to come.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There actually aren't as many trailers here as there have been in previous years, so far I've only found 3 or 4. There's a bunch of EarthRoamer and similar expedition vehicles, more of those than I've seen here previous years. But I won't cover them here because this is a trailer section of the forum.

Here's a Schutt trailer, I didn't find any particular details on it that I thought were worth photographing though...

Schutt2_zps76f713c0-1.jpg

Schutt1_zps437885ef-1.jpg

I've got photos of some roof-top tents and other camp trailer accessories from the show floor, I'll post them as I get a chance.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a new product I found at SEMA that I think could be very interesting as a trailer accessory - it's a "bed bag" designed for use in pickup trucks, but it's a perfect size to fit in a Dinoot Extended Jeep-tub trailer. It's made of heavy-duty polyethylene "tarp material" and it's got a zipper around three sides of the top corner. It's very affordable (M.S.R.P. way under $100), and it folds up very small.

They gave me a sample to test in my trailers. It's small enough that it'll fit in my carry-on bag when folded up, even though when fully open it's 5.5' long, almost 4' wide and over 2' tall.

I'll try it in the Dinoot extended and in the military trailer. Even though the width of the military trailer at the floor is 41", due to the flexibility of the bag I think it'll probably work in there too. I'll post photos when I get home and try it.

BedBag1_zpsbdbc86db.jpg

This is one of the company's marketing images:

BedBag2_zps5322c53b.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another Schutt XVenture trailer at SEMA. It's got a nice stainless steel "kitchen counter" that's removable, although it seems to be a work in progress since there's no sink in the sink hole, and no connections for anything underneath yet. It's hinged in the middle although I'm not sure how that works with the sink and stove protruding from both the top and bottom, I'm not sure how it would fold in half. Anyway it looks like a nice start on a camp kitchen.

Schutt3_zps78a9dc9a.jpg

Schutt4_zps7cddc21a.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I came across a line of products at SEMA that could have lots of uses in camp trailers. The line is called the Quickfist (http://www.endroad.com/), it's a heavy-duty rubber clamping system. It's not a new line of products, in fact I saw them at last year's SEMA show, but I was focused on other projects at the time so I didn't pay much attention to them then. The company was demonstrating a whole bunch of uses for it in their booth, including a Hi-Lift. I snagged this shot from their brochure because the location of the Hi-Lift in their booth made it hard for me to get a photo of it:

QuickFist2_zpsc7b9c67e.jpg

One of my current background projects is a Jeep tailgate-mounted Hi-Lift carrier. I've done a first prototype (pictured below), and since building that one I've made some design improvements but I've been too busy to build a new prototype lately. I think I'll include the Quickfist in the next prototype of my Hi-Lift carrier.

HiLiftAntennaMount1_zpsb243ba53.jpg

I spoke to the company about the design I'm working on and they gave me two samples to use for my prototype:

QuickFist1_zps5048496c.jpg

They also have a strap version that they were demonstrating holding jerry cans, air tanks and fire extinguishers:

QuickFist3_zps137f5467.jpg

QuickFist4_zps56e02baa.jpg

Both versions are surprisingly snug and seem quite strong, I think they could have a lot of applications in Jeeps and camp trailers.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Got any details on the company with the bed bag ? I'd like to try one.

The product isn't available yet, but should be very soon, that's not uncommon with new products at SEMA. I'm not sure if they want me to post their info at this point, I didn't ask them if they were ready to take customer inquiries about the product.

They did give me a sample to test, so I'll try it in both my Jeep-tub trailers and my military trailer this weekend and post photos.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's another product I saw at SEMA that could be useful, depending on the size of your camp trailer. It's called the AirBedz, and it's an air mattress designed for truck beds:

AirBedz1_zps7bdda881.jpg

They have a size that would fit really nice in a Jeep-tub trailer like the one pictured below, or in a Dinoot Extended Jeep-tub trailer kit.

TrailerOpen2.jpg

In this view you can see the inner fender cutouts in the air mattress.

AirBedz2_zpsda745008.jpg

They have two versions, in different materials and one has a built-in 12v compressor for inflating it. The MSRP on the entry level one is just over $100, so they could be a pretty affordable solution for putting a mattress in a camp trailer.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I spotted this truck at SEMA; it's got a soft-top on the bed. Their standard sizes are for common pickups of course, but it appears that they have one that would fit a Jeep-tub trailer like the Dinoot Extended kit well (the bottom photo is a the side panels of a Dinoot Extended kit).

SoftTopTruck_zps735867fe.jpg

DinootParts2_zpsf764f4f9.jpg

I think the one that would fit the tub kit above retails for about $650; not bargain-priced, but not too bad to convert a Jeep-tub trailer into a camper with an easily removable top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior