Trailer or Demount truck camper

schmugboy

Observer
So maybe this has been covered before, and maybe this is heresy in this forum. But I've encountered some issues on my last excursions. I am finding some really nice secluded spots for my truck camper, but invariably I end up to far away from a nice fishing, hunting, or hiking spot. I've read and seen some people demount their camper, but mostly it's been in a campground on stable ground. I've also seen more than a few truck campers mounted to utility trailers. Both options seem to be the in conflict with the pop-up truck camper experience. So I'm soliciting opinions on which option would be preferred; rather than packing and unpacking every time I want to go hiking or fishing in a place that is some distance from my campsite. Or do I just continue to look for the campsite that might be less secluded and more accessible to my areas of interest.

billiebob

My preference has always been a trailer. Mostly for he convenience of getting out of town and returning but also for the freedom of park it, drop it, go explore.

Demounting a camper is a bit more delicate than dropping a trailer. And more time consuming when you arrive home late and have to go to work. The only advantage of a camper is not pulling a trailer, a pickup camper is infinitely more manageable on a skinny trail that deadends than an SUV pulling a trailer. That said, if you can reverse with a trailer for miles without messing yer shorts..... the trailer might not be a disadvantage. Me, I find 4L the best way to back up with or without a trailer.

NO, no compromize, pick the product that does not limit yer travels. Pick the product that lets you explore further.

Last edited:

Huffy

Observer
This is a good topic for discussion. I have absolutley no experiance to give an opinion but, would love to hear what others who do have to say. RIght now I plan to drag a small trailer, Geo Pro 19' or similar and dump it at a secure area. Then run a bit farther to areas of interest in a pretty much stock F150 4X4.

schmugboy

Observer
So I think I may have made a confusing statement. I was wondering whether mounting my Sun-Lite truck camper on a my utility trailer (Karavan from Home Depot) would be a better option than the demounting hassle in the woods on uneven ground. I'm worried that even though the trailer has a 2k payload that I have to figure out some way to secure the camper to the trailer and keep it from bouncing to oblivion. I've seen my share of hunters that have done this, it just doesn't "look" right. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about or see if I have a picture with my camper on my trailer when I was moving it around in my driveway.

billiebob

a trailer is a trailer, I think we understand the concept, slide in camper on a deck is pretty common. sorta like ....

you will need to scale it tho, I think you could easilynbe over the 2K Caravan limit. Is is a GTWR or Payload Capaxity?

truck-camper-trailer-6.jpg

Last edited:

OverlandNA

So I think I may have made a confusing statement. I was wondering whether mounting my Sun-Lite truck camper on a my utility trailer (Karavan from Home Depot) would be a better option than the demounting hassle in the woods on uneven ground. I'm worried that even though the trailer has a 2k payload that I have to figure out some way to secure the camper to the trailer and keep it from bouncing to oblivion. I've seen my share of hunters that have done this, it just doesn't "look" right. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about or see if I have a picture with my camper on my trailer when I was moving it around in my driveway.
Assuming you have the 5x8 steel Karavan it is a 2000# GVWR that leaves you with a 1483 payload.
I'll stick to
Tow your jeep
Specifications
Overall Width
76"
Overall Length
143"
Bed Width
60"
Bed Length
96"
Tailgate Height
44"
Trailer Weight
517 lb
GVWR
2000 lb
Carrying Capacity
1483 lb
Tailgate Capacity
1483 lb
Tire Size
4.80 x 12C
Hitch Ball Size
2"

schmugboy

Observer
I have the 5x10 Karavan which lists payload capacity at 2200lbs (GVWR 2990), not sure if I trust that, but I bought it as it would support my camper when moving it around and storing it for the winter. When moving I use ratchet straps. Now while I've pulled more than a few trailers including bumper pull travel trailers. I'm not sure I trust the truck camper attached to a deck of a utility trailer driving down the road or on national forest roads, but I see it can be done. I'm just not confident that it should be done by me. Maybe I have to take your advice and try it. Then at least I could tow with truck or jeep. It would make my kids happy, they don't like riding in the truck, to old and stinky.

I had considered towing a vehicle behind the truck, but again I was looking at it differently, looking for smaller vehicles (2dr Wrangler) never thought about my Grand Cherokee, it's not currently setup to do this, but certainly worth considering.

Thanks for everyone's response, and helpful comments/suggestions. I guess the old adage "nothing ventured, nothing gained" applies.

Mtn Mike

Observer
Everyone makes good points. Having had both, I can now see the pros and cons to trailers vs. truck campers for accessibility to where you want to be. With a truck camper it comes down to whether or not you can camp exactly where your activity starts in the morning. With a trailer it comes down to whether you can even get there. Putting the camper in a trailer, thus making it a travel trailer is great, but defeats the purpose of having a truck camper. I'm about 6 months/15 nights into truck camping. About half the time I camp in spots where I'd never be able to take a travel trailer. Other times I wish I could have "unhitched". Maybe the answer is to have one of each? That's why I'm keeping my cargo trailer conversion for the time being.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles