trailer mounted tents

roadkill

Adventurer
I found out about this site from an expedition thread over on JeepsUnlimited. I recently purchased a M416 trailer with plans of converting it for use as an offroad camping/expedition type trailer. I am going to add a tailgate and utilize the tub area for storage and put a tent on top of the trailer. the trailer will be used by myself, my wife and boy (currently 3.5 yrs) to go camping and then also used just by myself and maybe one other on hunting trips and/or father/son camping trips. There is still a possibility of another future little one to consider too. Most likely the family outings will not be in rough terrain or extreme conditions (with perhaps the exception of heat). It will be pulled with my 06 Unlimited Rubicon.

I am looking for a tent that can sleep a family comfortably. I doubt I will be in it in temps below 25 degrees or in temps above 95 degrees. I don't foresee myself using the tent in wet weather unless I'm on a hunting trip. the family trips will probably all take place in spring or fall when temps are more mild anyways. I am not so much concerned with price as I am with buying a tent that is too small and will not work for my intended purposes. so far the only thing I have found that will fit the number of people I plan to sleep in it is the Eezi-Awn Family Rooftop tent. Does anyone else have any other suggestions on tents that would fit my application?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
roadkill said:
I found out about this site from an expedition thread over on JeepsUnlimited. I recently purchased a M416 trailer with plans of converting it for use as an offroad camping/expedition type trailer. I am going to add a tailgate and utilize the tub area for storage and put a tent on top of the trailer. the trailer will be used by myself, my wife and boy (currently 3.5 yrs) to go camping and then also used just by myself and maybe one other on hunting trips and/or father/son camping trips. There is still a possibility of another future little one to consider too. Most likely the family outings will not be in rough terrain or extreme conditions (with perhaps the exception of heat). It will be pulled with my 06 Unlimited Rubicon.

I am looking for a tent that can sleep a family comfortably. I doubt I will be in it in temps below 25 degrees or in temps above 95 degrees. I don't foresee myself using the tent in wet weather unless I'm on a hunting trip. the family trips will probably all take place in spring or fall when temps are more mild anyways. I am not so much concerned with price as I am with buying a tent that is too small and will not work for my intended purposes. so far the only thing I have found that will fit the number of people I plan to sleep in it is the Eezi-Awn Family Rooftop tent. Does anyone else have any other suggestions on tents that would fit my application?

The Eezi-Awn 2200 is the only one that I am aware of available in the US right now.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
For the size you are looking for, the Eezi-awn is your best bet, and the only one I know of that will hold a family.

Rezarf <><

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
The AutoHome OverLand large (1.8 meter) is popular with camping families and can sleep up to two adults and two children. It's 71" wide, 87" long, folds to 71" X 43-1/2" - check our website.

Yes, I sell them, so this IS a plug. Good BIG tent, and we have many families using them...

418550.jpg

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Rezarf <>< said:
Mike the link in your sig line is dead, can you post up the site?

Drew

Drew - I fixed so that it is 'clickable'. Sorry for the brain fade on this one.

roadkill

Adventurer
thanks for the info, I am still looking at pics and details on the websites and debating which tent I will go with. I have a lot of info I need to wade through as this will be the first tent type trailer that I will own or have used. Is there anything particular I need to look for as far as ease of setup and use is concerned? Does anyone one brand stand out among the competition and why? I still have a lot of stuff to do to the trailer first. still need to convert the wheel bolt pattern, fab up a tailgate, add jerrycan holders etc. before I'm ready to add the tent so I have a lot of time yet to decide on what tent I'm going with. I'm hoping to have this trailer completed by the end of summer. I appreciate all the info, keep it coming.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
roadkill said:
thanks for the info, I am still looking at pics and details on the websites and debating which tent I will go with. I have a lot of info I need to wade through as this will be the first tent type trailer that I will own or have used. Is there anything particular I need to look for as far as ease of setup and use is concerned? Does anyone one brand stand out among the competition and why? I still have a lot of stuff to do to the trailer first. still need to convert the wheel bolt pattern, fab up a tailgate, add jerrycan holders etc. before I'm ready to add the tent so I have a lot of time yet to decide on what tent I'm going with. I'm hoping to have this trailer completed by the end of summer. I appreciate all the info, keep it coming.

I have a king size Overland. It is OK however it could be much better if it offered separate awnings instead of integral awning/doors and larger side windows for better ventilation for warmer/more humid climates. I think, for an off-the-shelf system, the Ezi Awn looks well thought out: Overhangs protecting the doors/screens; larger windows for better ventilation; and even an attachable room that serves as a buffer zone for windy, inclimate weather and also a nice changing room or even dining room if needed.

I am waiting for AT to get their tent into production...It promises to offer much better overall design and construction than what is currently available especially on the USA marketplace; and hopefully a 10'x10' attachable enclosure. ETA:???

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
spressomon said:
I have a king size Overland. It is OK however it could be much better if it offered separate awnings instead of integral awning/doors and larger side windows for better ventilation for warmer/more humid climates. I think, for an off-the-shelf system, the Ezi Awn looks well thought out: Overhangs protecting the doors/screens; larger windows for better ventilation; and even an attachable room that serves as a buffer zone for windy, inclimate weather and also a nice changing room or even dining room if needed.

A re-design of the OverLand is in process - actually a new model. ETA late this year. The OverLand is a great tent, but The fabric tent market here demands some different features - more "camping" oriented than 'mobility' oriented. I think you will like what we come up with.

The Ezi-Awn is a good tent for warm climates, and seems reasonably well built. I am a bit spooked by the all cotton canvas/wax waterproofing construction. We are looking at more technically advanced fabrics.

Mike

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Mike S said:
A re-design of the OverLand is in process - actually a new model. ETA late this year. The OverLand is a great tent, but The fabric tent market here demands some different features - more "camping" oriented than 'mobility' oriented. I think you will like what we come up with.

The Ezi-Awn is a good tent for warm climates, and seems reasonably well built. I am a bit spooked by the all cotton canvas/wax waterproofing construction. We are looking at more technically advanced fabrics.

Mike

I am interested in hearing/seeing the new design features when they become available.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
The Magellon (sp?) seems like it is a breeze to setup, but I see another major advantage of not having a wet tent fold onto a dry mattress.

Is this an issue for anyone?

Drew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior