trailer hitch receiver vise

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Nice, then you can mount up your $40 POS Harbor Freight vise and hope that the casting isn't just crappy enough to crack on you as you put that last quarter turn on the handle trying to press in a u-joint cap in the middle of nowhere. It happened to me in a buddy's garage using one of their "too cheap to be true" bench vises, so for me it's not just a "what if?"

Full disclosure, I own the Mac's, but IMO it's was worth the extra few bucks for that peace of mind.

You could put whichever vice you wanted on it. A high quality used vice isn't expensive in the slightest.

Chili

Explorer
Nice, then you can mount up your $40 POS Harbor Freight vise and hope that the casting isn't just crappy enough to crack on you as you put that last quarter turn on the handle trying to press in a u-joint cap in the middle of nowhere. It happened to me in a buddy's garage using one of their "too cheap to be true" bench vises, so for me it's not just a "what if?"

Full disclosure, I own the Mac's, but IMO it's was worth the extra few bucks for that peace of mind.

Or you can mount your quality bench vice from your home shop.. I don't use my bench vise enough that I don't even leave it permanantly mounted to my bench. In this case, I could just throw in it the rig when I head out and am only out an extra $20. Or $16 with the number of 20% off coupons I have.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I saw this vise at a supplier show for custom car parts. Mac's guys were our neighbors in the booth farm. Really nice guys, and I can say from messing with it that I really want one of those vises! The jaws are some kind of rock crusher plate, and as described earlier, have a very rough surface. (A lot coarser than sand, actually.) The guys said that it doesn't wear off, and it grips stuff VERY well. (but it does leave bite marks...)

Good product, good company, good god I want one!! :)
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94