trailer fab question

srgsng25

Observer
well i just did my steel order for the build i am staring in march i am still need to get a few more tools i am currious on the best way to cut the 16g sheet metal for the do i just say screw it and burn it or angle grinder what the easiest way for long straight cuts

jkce72

Observer
I used my plasma cutter on mine. If you have access to a metal shear that would be the way to go. Your metal supplier might be able to shear it for you.

srgsng25

Observer
plasma is out of budget for this season unfortunately i do live near a iron works who i know several of the old guys there i might go ask them if they can use they giant break to do the bold cutting as i just ordered 4 sheets of 4 x 8 16g metal

Woods

Explorer
There's no arguing with a shear for cutting sheet metal. Take it to your iron worker's place and it should be very expensive.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Iron workers or sign fab shop.
Also tech schools are a good place to get stuff done cheap.
They learn and earn at the same time.

jamiep

What about a metal blade on a circular saw with a straight edge against the saw fence? Set the blade depth just a hair deeper then the metal. I've done it before but if you're doing a lot of cuts I would not recommend it.

beck_customs

I bought a Rigid worm drive from Home Depot and a Diablo metal cutting blade. The worm drive spins a lower RPM to accompany the Diablo blade requirements. I regularly cut 1/4" and 3/16" sheet with it without any problems other than the smokin' hot chips the saw throws all over the place. The saw is also great for cutting sections of tubing also. I've found the saw is faster overall than my Miller Spectrum 625 plasma for bumper cut-outs, due to the fact that I don't have to set up a straight edge for the saw (and I don't have to air out the shop from all the air-borne plasma metal particulates). Buy a full face shield and a good set of ear protection. The Rigid warranty will cover the saw after you smoke it, so nothing lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier