Trailer Dilema

rk_az

Adventurer
I am looking at two off-road trailers, and can't decide which route to go. I am hoping some of you guys that drag trailers around the boonies can provide some insight, or suggest things to take into consideration or questions to ask.

First a little background. I drive an '04 Tacoma d-cab, with Emu suspension, 255/85R16 TrXus MT's, and I also have a custom bumper in the works which should be ready any day now, that will put the hitch receiver about 30" high. I'm looking for a trailer that I can use to haul camping/expo gear down the trail, with the possibility of adding a RTT to the trailer at some point.

Now to the trailers. One is new, and one is about 3 years old with low miles. If I go with a bare bones new trailer, both trailers are about the same price. Now you may be asking yourself, new vs. used, for the same price, what's the dilema? But as we all know, not all trailers are created equal. Unfortunately, I have not seen either trailer in person. I am in central AZ, the used trailer is in San Diego, and the manufacturer of the new trailer is in Nevada.

The used trailer appears to be very well made, but also appears to have been out in the weather. It has Jeep YJ leaf springs and gas shocks that can be unpinned from the lower mounts and clipped up out of the way. The cargo box is rather small, but is over-built with lots of d-rings and tie-downs for securing stuff with. There is an ample deck up front with more d-rings.

The new trailer also appears to be well-made, but perhaps not as beefy as the used one. It has standard trailer-type leaf springs, and no shocks. The cargo box looks bigger, but appears to be made of just sheet metal. There don't appear to be many tie-downs, nor is there a tailgate. The new trailer obviously looks better, comes in a choice of colors, and options (like a tailgate) that can be added (for more money, of course). And it looks like there could be fitment issues with the fenders if I went with taller tires, but maybe not.

Here is the used trailer. I believe the first photo was taken when the trailer was new. The second photo shows how it sits now, with different tires, and no spare, hi-lift, or front stand.

M8_olive_1.jpg

M8_Olive_4.jpg

Here is the new trailer. The builder (Sierra 4x4) has a website if you want to see more pics and specs.

sierra_trailer.jpg

JKDetonator

Adventurer
vascillation

Tough decision, do the wheels of the used trailer match the yota? Can you purchase matching hubs on the new one? Older is tougher, new one is "pretty". I can only offer a "Good LucK" with your choice and post up picks of your choice in action with your rig when you finally decide! Sounds like its time for a Road Trip!:smiley_drive:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I think the size and space of the new one is a big advantage. I actually considered that one too.
The used one looks neat, and strong, but may be difficult to adapt a RTT to in the future.
I would sit down and decide what the end goal will be for this trailer. A little more spent up front will get you there faster and may save some money in the end.

Be patient. There may be better choices for a used trailer out there. I have seen at least one that would have been a very good choice since I put mine together.

Don't totally discount buying a "built" trailer new. It is a big bite at first, but you may have that much invested by the time you reach your goal anyway. Why not enjoy it all now.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

atavuss

Adventurer
I had an 04 DC Taco and we used a 1940's 1/4 ton civilian Bantam behind it on camping trips. the Bantam is probably about the same size as the new trailer you are considering (4'x6' measured at the top of the box). for 3 people we managed to fill the Taco AND the Bantam FULL of camping gear and crap we wanted to take for a 3 day camping trip. my point being you will like the extra room in the new trailer.
my Bantam has the same springs as early civilian Jeeps and no shocks. unloaded it bounces all over the place so I bought a set of shocks and spring mounts from a military trailer that will bolt on. you can probably easily add shocks to the new trailer. my Bantam has a factory cut tailgate (military trailers have no tailgate to make them watertight and so they will float if needed). I would add the tailgate option to the new trailer if you get it. you can always add tie downs where you want them to the new trailer.
even with the stock ball mount Fulton hitch I was able to drag the Bantam through some pretty rough 4x4 trails. I am planning on changing the worn out ball mount to a Max Coupler soon. my Bantam has sheet metal sides and floor so what I did was get some heavy rubber matting like you would use on a floor and put it on the floor and sides, the sides are just laid in and gear is packed in to hold in place, this should keep any dents from happening.
P8030300%28Small%29.JPG

Last edited:

rk_az

Adventurer
Excellent thoughts folks, thanks! Those are exactly the kind of ideas that have been bouncing around in my head the last two weeks. At one point, I was actually ready to buy the used trailer, but the seller suddenly decided he wouldn't take PayPal, only cash. That made me pause long enough to start having second thoughts, and now I am actually leaning toward the new trailer, for some of the reasons mentioned here.

HenryJ, when you say a "built" trailer, I assume you mean something like an AT? Yeah, that would be great, but probably more than I need and beyond my budget. I think I would rather get something I can afford now and can start enjoying right away, and add to it as I go.

Y'all keep the thoughts coming if you have 'em...

:safari-rig:

atavuss

Adventurer
I just looked at the new trailer's website......the tailgate is not cheap and would weaken the trailer a bit, but having a tailgate is nice. I would probably get the lid instead of the gate. it shows that the trailer has 24! tiedowns.
FYI, Adventure Trailers can probably help you with financing as per their website.

rk_az

Adventurer
the tailgate...would weaken the trailer a bit

Possibly, depending on how they implement it.

it shows that the trailer has 24! tiedowns

Yeah, I read that, too. They must be inside the bed.

Adventure Trailers can probably help you with financing

No doubt! I just don't need another payment right now. If I didn't have a daughter in college, I would do it in a heartbeat!

fzsk4p

Adventurer
I like the old one.

Better suspension and shocks. Looks to be a heavier axle also.

If you look at my build thread you can see how using Unistrut can solve all your RTT needs.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...when you say a "built" trailer, I assume you mean something like an AT? Yeah, that would be great, but probably more than I need and beyond my budget. I think I would rather get something I can afford now and can start enjoying right away, and add to it as I go.
Yes. I know exactly what you mean. The same thing applied to me. My budget was around the $3500 mark max. That doesn't leave too many options. I could not justify more in my case.

Here are some others I considered:

Offroad International, Texas
You already have the Sierra 4x4 trailers, Nevada
Offroad TrailerZ, California
Surplus City, California
I also spent time searching for used on crazedlist.org.
As it turned out word of mouth that I was looking turned up the trailer that I have now.

rk_az

Adventurer
Thanks for the links. I've actually seen all those, except the surplus one. The used mil trailers aren't exactly cheap.

I'm certainly not rushing into things! I've been looking at off-road trailers for a couple of years, and just not seeing much that I like in my price range. I could wait a couple more years, until my daughter graduates college. But I don't want to! :jumping:

Donsfast

Observer
I like the second pictured (new) trailer because it has more possible uses like RTT, space for odd things you havent considered yet and wont until you are told by a spouse or begged for by a friend. Help me haul this rear end to the top of a mountain so I can get my rig down....PLEASE. Well that might be a bit extreme but you get the idea. The first is nice too...just a little small IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles