Trailer build kitchen thoughts. Fridge stays in the Jeep? Sink worth having?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
1671019980139.png

63 gallon bladder on Amazon, other sizes available as well, $128.00
This could go in the bed of my F-150.
Might consider an insulated box built to hold it, use a water tank heating pad in cold weather, in warmer weather the heating pad might warm the water enough to shower with.
Need to see if it's safe for drinking water, I suspect it would be.

Thing I like about this is that it is portable, as water is used the unused bladder can be rolled or folded up for additional storage space. You could just fill it with less water depending on your needs.

Last edited:

Mischief

63 gallons of water weighs 500 lbs, that will hold the rear of your truck down in a windstorm
For showers, we use a largish tin can with the top cut out and a dozen or so holes in the bottom. One of us holds the can up
and pours hot water into it while the other showers. We can both shower in under a gallon.
That doesn't work so well solo but I can do nearly as well with just a washrag and a pot of hot water, which
is what we both do when we are in a populated area, which is rare. We're camping, and finding unpopulated places is the point.
Everything has to be hauled around, up mountains, on rutted roads. Rigs get heavy in a hurry when you need ALL the comforts
of home and running water is sweet but both heavy and wasteful unless you're staying in campgrounds with hookups

1000arms

... Question: What about camp grounds, parks, that require holding tanks? Is this simply for RV's (Class A, B, C types) or do the require them in a trailer if you use the trailer as a camper? ...
In my experience, the short answer is no unless you are staying in a place that specifically requires it like Boondockers Welcome or Harvest Host locations. Campgrounds typically have facilities. BLM and NFS campgrounds don't require it. National Park, probably not, but may depending on location. Other parks, probably not, unless again there is a specific requirement. Anyplace with tent camping typically does not require holding tanks.
You might want to be aware of:

"17. Self-Contained Vehicles. a. In Pilot Knob, Midland, Tamarisk, and Hot Spring LTVAs, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The La Posa, Imperial Dam, and Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet of a vault toilet or rest room. b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained."

from: https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/LTVASupplementaryRules.pdf

from: https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizo...-room-frequently-requested/brochure/long-term

BLM rules vary at different locations. BLM has published https://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/portabletoilets.pdf for where the BLM allows portable toilets.

Last edited:

marret

"17. Self-Contained Vehicles. a. In Pilot Knob, Midland, Tamarisk, and Hot Spring LTVAs, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The La Posa, Imperial Dam, and Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet of a vault toilet or rest room. b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained."

from: https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/LTVASupplementaryRules.pdf

from: https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizo...-room-frequently-requested/brochure/long-term

Thanks for the additional info and clarification @1000arms.

This obviously would be an exception and a specifically required circumstance. My SMB doesn't meet the requirement either.

1000arms

Thanks for the additional info and clarification @1000arms.

This obviously would be an exception and a specifically required circumstance. My SMB doesn't meet the requirement either.
You are welcome.

Who knows, the information linked in my post might be the reason someone installs a small 10 gallon waste tank rather than an even smaller 8 gallon waste tank. :)

Even someone with an incinerating toilet one might be "scat out of luck" at certain camping areas. :cool:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

Thank you, I thought I read that somewhere.
I believe campgrounds at some military installations require a similar set up.

I'm aware of the weight of water, having the capacity to hold 63 gallons of water doesn't mean I'd carry that much. I think the bladder would be ideal as it takes up less space if it isn't full.

After posting above, I order the 29 gallon bladder for $39 bucks. 8.33 pounds = 241.57 pounds, that's like hauling a hefty adult.

That along with 2- 6 gallon cans that's enough for the two of us and my boxer for 2 weeks if we are careful, for 10 days without paying much attention.

Otherwise,

1671046158424.png

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Not to get off topic, but just thought, in the Land of the Free", the government controls what kind of toilet you can use and where! ?

The most free place on earth, and I’ll have you know I have every passport, license, certificate, authorization, and registration to prove it.

simple

Adventurer
Great discussion. A wise man once said that "Freedom is not the right to piss off your neighbors."

Regarding living procedures, it is good to keep in mind that the population on this planet has grown by over 30% in the last 20 years. 6 Billion people is now 8. If you like data and graphs, the plot of population increase over time is going near vertical. With that rapid of change, their is no looking back and doing it like our grandfathers did.

In the interest of staying on topic, I like a small sink if it is in a living space like a camper or van. For a trailer I'd go with a dish tub, rigid or collapsible. They are so handy for a lot of different things.

Jcvannoy

I made a small removable sink that attaches to the side of my teardrop next to my hot water heater. It stores inside the camper or I can leave it at home if I don’t want to take it. (I always take it, makes doing dishes easy!) I use a 5 gallon catch can and pour it on the fire to extinguish before going to bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles