Trailer Brakes Necessity?

rwingnut

Observer
I'm in the design stage of my expedition trailer build and am trying to decide about brakes. Those who have brakes on your trailer, how do you use them? Parking brake? Manual operation during technical decents? General road braking?

I'm targeting a loaded weight of 1500-1800 lbs and will be using my FJ Cruiser as the tow vehicle, so I don't need them for general road driving. I'll be using chocks and levelers, so no need for parking brakes. I intend to do some mild off-road with my trailer, but I'm not sure I have the need on the trail?

I know a lot of the military trailer conversions already have brakes so it makes sense to go ahead and take advantage of them. I'm building my trailer from scratch and intend to order a Dexter axle. The brakes would add more complexity and cost to the trailer and my FJ.

I hope to learn from the groups experience, Thanks.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
no matter what the weight...unless you're driving a Peterbuilt, the reasons to put them on far outweigh the reasons not to.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
no matter what the weight...unless you're driving a Peterbuilt, the reasons to put them on far outweigh the reasons not to.

X2

You only have so much traction. And sometimes it ain't enough...

I have electric brakes on the trailer but no parking brake. I'd really like to have a parking brake; sometimes it's a challenge to chock the wheels.

BoarderMX

Observer
Jeep unlimited and towing a smallish trailer, I am very happy I followed advice and installed brakes on it. Yes, more cost including a controller and wiring the Jeep for a 7 pin. Added bonus is charging the trailer batteries off it when connected to the jeep and the greater confidence that the jeep will stop in essentially the same distance with or without the trailer. As others have noted, the additional control is priceless. I also agree that a parking brake would be real nice at times, that is a feature I do not have.

RFDGUY

Observer
Just an FYI, some states require trailer brakes if your trailer weighs over a certain weight. California requires over 1000 lbs. Might want to check with your local DMV for requirements. I love being able to "throw out the anchor" if I'm going down a particularly steep/slippery hill.

Chris

2009 Tacoma 4x4 4D SB. Icon 2.5 front & rear. Puling a 2012 Sierra 4x4 Gen 2 trailer .

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
There is never a reason to not have trailer brakes. I saw an FJ almost rolled on Rose Garden due to a trailer weighing roughly 600 pounds. The FJ if lifted is not the most stable vehicle at speed. The brakes will come in handy on the highway. You never need them until you do!

rwingnut

Observer
You're probably right. Easier to add them now, in the planning stage that figure out later that I really wish I put them on. Thanks for the input.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Here is what you need if you want park and electric brakes:

http://www.nickstruckparts.com/k23-086-00.html

Each side has a unique part number so be aware of that if you order.

Nicks had the best price I found. My local dealer wanted twice that.

I second that brakes are never a bad idea. Build it safe first.

After thought: if you already have a trailer with park brakes you may need to take parts from that brake assembly to make these work. They use a different attachment than the m416. I wanted to buy custom cables but after no return calls or emails I gave up and made it work the old fashioned way. Modify.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
My trailer weighs around 1200# loaded (23 gal water, RTT, food, kit etc) and I am definitely adding brakes. I have a CDN M101 and am already a HUGE fan of the parking brakes, so the ones linked above are basically what I am looking at picking up soon. Driving 60KMh down a gravel FSR and breaking you can feel the trailer trying to push you around in the corners...not a good feeling.

The amount of control offroad will be a real bonus too...the ability to use the trailer as somewhat of an anchor to keep your rig from sliding around.

X 3 on the brakes!!

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I am actually setting mine up so I can use one side or the other, with a toggle switch. It will help turn the trailer, and move rocks from in front of the trailer. You can do a lot of things that actually help you climb and descend better with the trailer. I have had mine on some very tough trails, and feel it is one of the most important accessories on the trailer. Glad all are in agreement on this, smart bunch!!!!!

klb67

Observer
My post isn't to talk you out of brakes, but to give you some info to think about, mostly why I did not add brakes on my trailer. I'm in PA. Trailers with brakes must have an annual inspection, like vehicles. Brakes also add another system to maintain. My trailer is a 4.5' x 6' x 2' high steel side utility/camping trailer. Frame is 2x2x1/8 tube. Dry weight was 780 pounds (including the steel lid). It sees mostly paved roads, some gravel and dirt, and I expect it to see some 2 track trails. No dry river beds, no extreme inclines or declines, and certainly no rock crawling. I have a 2,200 lb. dexter axle on long, softer springs and taller 13" trailer tires, to achieve a softer ride on washboard roads. Having brakes certainly wouldn't hurt, but to me the cost, inspection and maintainence were not worth it. Your intended use is "mild-off road" - what does that mean? I see you are in New Mexico? If you are doing trails in 4x4 low range with steep inclines and declines, that may be the biggest reason to add brakes. If you don't have the inspection requirements, and cost isn't a major concern, then having brakes probably makes better sense than not having them. If you have some or all of the impediments that I had, then there are good reasons not to go with brakes.

brentbba

Explorer
Another vote FOR trailer brakes. No parking brake on mine either.

Here's a couple of good reasons. My maiden voyage with the trailer mildly loaded down a pretty good grade and dummy me didn't throw the truck into a lower gear to let the engine do some of the braking. We stopped at an overlook for a photo op near the bottom and lo and behold, my front brakes were smoking! Fortunately I didn't warp the rotors. Now, this was entirely my fault for not allowing the engine to help, but I didn't think it mattered because the trailer was small (M101CDN w/o a lid at that point). Second reason - check your state laws. Here in the Peoples Republik of California, ANY trailer weighing over 1500lbs MUST have trailer brakes.

I'll throw in a third reason - safety - you've got add'l weight back there and it's just worth the piece of mind.

Huffy

Observer
Brakes are well worth the cost, even 1000# greatly extends your stopping distance and control. Drum brakes are cheap and work great on a small trailer. I tow a lot with a F250, from a #15K boat to a small 750# trailer which does not have brakes. The 750# has a real impact on stopping, particularly when it is wet. Did I mention brakes purchased with the axle are cheap. Don't risk it. Do brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier