Trailer Brake Requirements By State

DesertDreaming

Quick question for you all... I'm having a trailer built for me at the moment. Dry weight should be around 700lb and fully loaded around 2000lb. This model does not come with trailer brakes. However, I saw a video claiming that some states require trailer brakes on trailers as low as 1000lb?!?!

So I looked it up and came across this article: https://www.rvtravel.com/trailer-brake-laws-50-states-1100/

Bascially, for 47/50 states trailer brakes are required for trailers 3000lb or more. For Kansas, 2000lb and for Nevada and California, 1500lb.

Here's my question does each state's weight limit apply to trailers *registered* in that state or to all trailers *driving through* that state? Basically, if our 2000lb trailer does not have brakes, and we are within the law in the state where our trailer is registered, can we still drive it through California?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Agree that your requirements are set by the state of registration. That being said, if you are in one of the states that does not require license plates (I believe there are 1-2), you might get to talk with a few officers along the way.

alia176

Explorer
In my opinion, it doesn't matter what the legalities are. Each trailer should be equipped with trailer brakes. Period. A 2k trailer WILL influence the tow vehicle during emergency maneuvers or while going downhill on dirt/mud. Do your family and other families a favor and get trailer brakes.

25RDS

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what the legalities are. Each trailer should be equipped with trailer brakes. Period. A 2k trailer WILL influence the tow vehicle during emergency maneuvers or while going downhill on dirt/mud. Do your family and other families a favor and get trailer brakes.
Really depends on the tow vehicle. A small SUV will be affected more easily by a 1500# trailer than an F150. I routinely tow my 5200# rated utility trailer with my Ram 3500 diesel. I've had well over 4000 lbs in it and my truck has zero issues stopping it.

alia176

Explorer
Really depends on the tow vehicle. A small SUV will be affected more easily by a 1500# trailer than an F150. I routinely tow my 5200# rated utility trailer with my Ram 3500 diesel. I've had well over 4000 lbs in it and my truck has zero issues stopping it.

That's absolutely correct; a heavy tow rig makes for safe towing. If a friend borrows your trailer and they have a light weight vehicle, the brakes will be much needed. Adding brakes prolly helps with resale (guessing), and it's easy to do. It's a non brainer for me.

Umbrarian

Observer
Ever been stopped by police in another state because your car wasn't inspected in that state?

Your trailer is governed by the laws in the state it is registered in.

There are many states that will enforce their own laws on your out of state vehicle. Virginia is one of the worst for this - window tint, exhaust, and lift all come to mind and have seen many ticketed. NC & NJ too. Texas too will enforce Texas laws on South of the Border POS cars.

On the other hand the idea you will get pulled over and cop is going to get down on his knees to see if you have brakes and then call in a weight truck to see if you are compliant is preposterous.

plh

Explorer
Agree that your requirements are set by the state of registration. That being said, if you are in one of the states that does not require license plates (I believe there are 1-2), you might get to talk with a few officers along the way.

Wisconsin - trailer under 3,000 lbs - no plates, no title. Over 3,000 lbs need plates and title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles