Trailer Brake Question - electrical

andytruck

Observer
I am having trouble with my trailer brakes. There are 4. I know the controller worked on a friends trailer with 2 brakes when I towed it.
I tested at the hitch plug and get almost 6 volts at full over-ride position. I do not give 12 volts.
In the trailer I get a little less.
There is nothing happening at the brakes, no click, nothing.
I re-did the wiring connections, cutting the old and connecting wires on freshly exposed copper.
I don't think the brakes have ever been used in 20 years, previous owner did not have controller. I took two wheels apart and exercised the brake movement.
Pads look new except for dirt.
I cut trailer cord and wired on a new 7-pin connector.
Wiring goes - blue wire to black wire from brakes. white/ground from vehicle goes to common ground in trailer (including coach battery). White wire from brake goes to this common ground.
I have tested things with coach battery connected and not connected…
At this point I have to start replacing things. What should I look for first?

SnowDozerCJ5

When I did my 7 pin I got some pins wired opposite of what I thought. Check resistance on the trailer side from ground to brake pin. If there is a short disconnect the magnets to check the harness then add magnets back one at a time to try to find a short. My controller is smart so it won't send too much voltage when stopped what make and model is yours?

andytruck

Observer
New magnets was easier to do than testing each one. They were old, so not a bad thing to replace.
My POD controller puts out 2v just looking for the brake, maybe 4v, and up to 6 for braking they say. 2v is not enough to activate the magnet it seems.
There was a bad magnet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94