Trailer axle lift

andytruck

Observer
Anyone spin their axles over to have more lift?
I have an axle like this one http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200648990_200648990
It is a 4-inch drop, if I spin it up it will raise the trailer 8 inches higher. The axle will not be hanging from the hubs, but now be balanced on them. Seems like it should work and not rotate off, but what do I know…
There are two U-brackets per side, and I will be running electric brakes if that makes any difference.
It is a cargo trailer and I will not be doing epic off-roading, but would like to get away from it all as the truck is more than capable.

1store

Banned
Before you start look and see if there a bow in the axle if so make sure you mach it are the tires ware to one side,. It's easier to get new hangers on the Axel and weld them in. Than try to cut off old ones and try to reuse .

andytruck

Observer
Before you start look and see if there a bow in the axle if so make sure you mach it are the tires ware to one side,. It's easier to get new hangers on the Axel and weld them in. Than try to cut off old ones and try to reuse .

No. trailer is pretty new. No bows. No ware. The easy thing is to loosen 4 nuts and rotate the axle so the hubs hang below the center axle rather than above it. Welding is a bigger project i want to avoid.

andytruck

Observer
new axles will have the bow built in it has to do with wheel alignment

I think what you are saying is that the axle that goes across the trailer is bent at the factory to align the wheels? and if I flip it over it will be out of alignment? or should it still be perfectly aligned if I flip it exactly 180 degrees, but not aligned at any other angle? too dark now to see the bow, I will look in daylight.
1store, I looked at your build thread. You seem to have the same type of axles, but yours are upside down from mine where the hubs are lower than the crossmember. That is how I want to have mine so I have a higher trailer for ground clearance, and to match my 4x4 truck height better. Actually, I really can't tell if they are straight or like mine from the one pic.
tks

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
It will be more than 8"; you have to factor in the thickness of the spring pack, and any additional height the spring perch may give.
It just seems kind-of iffy to me; seems like there would be leverage on the dropped portion that might cause it to shear off the axle tube.
A new axle isn't that expensive, and you could reuse your hub and bearings. That would give you added lift, and if you put the axle under the springs (assuming yours is on top of the springs right now) it would give you even more lift.

1store

Banned
When I got the axle from rock had the springs pads where put on top . On the next trailer I need a lower trailer so the pads will have to be on the bottom. I never work with a drop axle so just a warning . With the beams we use if we just flip the axle the tires ware. to one side . So just keep in mind the hub angle slant lot of luck
seems kind-of iffy to me; seems like there would be leverage on the dropped portion that might cause it to shear off the axle tube.
What RNarmy posted I think real hard on it. We get the new 3500 beams for $75.00 . ON off road trailers we do NOT use drop axles

Last edited:

andytruck

Observer
When I got the axle from rock had the springs pads where put on top . On the next trailer I need a lower trailer so the pads will have to be on the bottom. I never work with a drop axle so just a warning . With the beams we use if we just flip the axle the tires ware. to one side . So just keep in mind the hub angle slant lot of luck
What RNarmy posted I think real hard on it. We get the new 3500 beams for $75.00 . ON off road trailers we do NOT use drop axles

Thanks. So what you are saying is that the axle assembly on the drop axle is a little bent or preloaded so it sits level when loaded and flipping it will unload that and cause wear on the outside of the tires?
I don't know that they would shear off any more than they would now as they are configured with that 4 inch off-set no matter how they are oriented, but the preload bend is a deal killer anyway.

I need one of these? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596732_200596732 which will raise trailer 4 inches just by mounting it, then maybe some lift shackles or something?

edit: my trailer does not seem to have a bow, it is as straight as the framing above it. I will post the photo later today, headed to work now…

thanks

Last edited:

1store

Banned
IN the picture you can see the bow. you need to find one with the pads on top. I see if you can have them move to the top

andytruck

Observer
Was in a hurry, so these pics not as good as I wanted. http://imgur.com/a/irRJ4
There did not seem to be a bow. It looked very straight. What does that mean?
Also, there is a few inches available just putting the axle under the springs?

Oh, I see what you are saying about the pads on top…. I did not see that there are welded "pads" that integrate to the flat leaf springs. This is why I check with you guys first…
If I were able to flip the axle, then I would have to put springs above the axle so the pads sit flat on the leaf spring.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne