Trail repairs in your Synthetic winch line

opie

Explorer
Ive put together some of the basic repairs one can complete trailside should the need arise. I believe if you are running synthetic line then you should know how to do these along with the measurements.

For reference, 1 fid equals 21 x the rope diameter so the equation would look like this..... for 3/8

3 / 8 x 21 = 7.875"

So 1 fid for 3/8 line is 7.875". I always round up to the nearest half so an even 8". Most of the 12 strand Dyneema calls for 2 fids using a locked brummel splice. I do deviate from Samsons instructions on the measurements for where the taper starts and ends and my individual testing and real world experience shows 1 fid using a locked brummel splice will hold while the failure occurs in the line. However, I do still use 2 fids in my splicing.

Onto the vids...

I hope to be able to demonstrate the end for end splice using a locked brummel and how to create a fixed eye with a locked brummel when you only have access to one end of the line.

sctracker

Observer
Very cool, I think its probably a good idea for anybody interested in expeditions and adventure traveling in general to learn at least some basic knot work.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Excellent information on repair of the winch line.I am a firm believer that if you go off road you should be able fix what is broken to a point.

zjsheller

Observer
It never ceases to amaze me the level of knowledge from the folks on this forum!
This could be knowledge that saves a life. Wouldn't even know I needed to know this if not for this forum.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Will be keeping those videos on my iPad for reference should I ever need to do a field repair... I should have paid more attention to the boatswains when I was in the USN.

DamMan

Observer
Being YouTube illiterate, how do I save these videos to a portable device? I don't have an iPad, but I do have an iPod.

opie

Explorer
Im not sure exactly. If anyone wants them I can send them via Email as an attachment. They range anywhere between 150mb and 300mb, or therabouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior