Trail Pig 2018 PW Build

BigBrokenZJ

“I love the smell of cut sheet metal in the morning. Smells like.. victory”

Point of no return has been hit.

fded282f82e6191094cfe0ba3ba41ef1.jpg

c8c144364d6757a2173614fd7a40f3d9.jpg

Also, whatever engineer decided to make it so you have to partially remove the bed to remove the factory hitch can choke themselves.

jpop8807

Observer
Haven’t done anything major to the PW.. but have been getting it ready for a few upcoming trips.

I had ordered all the pieces of extruded aluminum and plate aluminum to build a low profile roof rack on my ARE shell on my 2014. The idea was increase cargo capacity and have a spot for the awnings, treds, etc.

Fast forward to this week. I very carefully drilled holes in the side plates (3”x5’ aluminum), painstakingly painted it in a bed liner, and assembled the sides with six pieces of extruded bars (think prinsu). Then I went to put it on the tracks of the rsi shell… and surprise! They taper from front to back.. so having the plate edges wouldn’t work.

So I don’t net back to the drawing board and used 8020 all the way around..

This is the final product.
View attachment 688964
View attachment 688965View attachment 688966

The goals were achieved. Plenty of space for mounting cargo or fancy adventure accessories.. easy mounting of the OVS awning and driver side awning.. and fairly low profile.

Long way to say measure more than you think you need. Haha

Next step was playing Tetris on the Bedslide with the 37” spare (still working on hinges and latches for a swing out)

Remember, whatever side you think your fridge should be mounted on.. is wrong. After switching to the Smartcap, the fridge would fit under my driver side bin, which allowed chuck box to sit on passenger side and be a little more accessible
View attachment 688967

Simple enough, but had to move the cargo track and will have to move the threaded outlet to the driver side. Just obnoxious.

This is the space I’ll have to work with.. could be better could be worse.

04eddcf71c138f7125b5db1c88ffbda6.jpg

While messing with this, I also used some cheap
Brackets to stiffen up the bins on the Bedslide. Huge improvement from some scrap laying around the shop.

I promise there will be some actual adventure posts soon. Maybe.

Such a ************ setup

jpop8807

Observer
Finished up the booty fab slide.

Trip this weekend to try it all out.

8b4bbdb83a181364538b845104fd49fa.jpg

c2858fd195c385a5918d4857acb35c69.jpg

Also discovered a decent amount of slop in my front track bar, which is probably not helping my sway issue. Thuren bar in route.
How do you like the decked setup. I'm really contemplating that for my ram rebel. I currently just have a roll up bed cover with the factory plastic liner. I'm debating if I should rhino line before going decked or just pull the plastic stuff out.

BigBrokenZJ

How do you like the decked setup. I'm really contemplating that for my ram rebel. I currently just have a roll up bed cover with the factory plastic liner. I'm debating if I should rhino line before going decked or just pull the plastic stuff out.

Decked was a great setup for being lightweight and readily available. After upgrading the fridge, it just used up too much space is the “deck” portion to be practical so I made my own.

I have experience with decked systems in company vehicles as well as my personal vehicle. The company vehicles seem to accumulate dust in the drawers at a astounding rate. Don’t put anything that’s not in a d bag or the like in the drawers unless you want it ruined. That is in an f-150 with a tonneau.

On that note on my pov with the Smartcap, almost zero dust in the drawers. May be the tailgate or seams of the bed.

Last complaint on the decked was wasted space
With the tapered drawers..

That being said, they are bombproof, easy to install, and at a great price

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke